New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sucks for you guys

Started by damarech, November 25, 2010, 10:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

damarech

The new policy to only allow members to post adds in the for sale section, leaves you out of a lot deals that the general public are willing to sell.

Oh well...

Stussi613

The reality is that almost all of the people who post on OVAS generally also post on Kijiji and UsedOttawa.  At one point if you opened the classifieds on OVAS and UsedOttawa at the same time on split screen the posts were, for the most part, identical...as were the prices.  There were quite a few non-members that were only using OVAS to post things for sale, and not to further the hobby which is the mandate of the club.  I'm sure most of us scan the other sites on a fairly regular basis and aren't missing out on anything. 

I wasn't part of the process to stop non-members from posting in the classifieds, but I welcomed the change.  It's not like people were posting things at a reduced price for people on here, they were just getting another free place to post their items, at the expense of the members who are paying for the site with their membership dues.

I have often said that $20 is a small cost for the amount of information and help that people provide on this site, not to mention that after a few trips to OVAS sponsors the savings you get being a member ends up getting you your money back, and then some, over the course of a year.

The thing that doesn't suck for non-members is that they get almost all the benfits of the club for free, but again it's for the good of the hobby.
I haz reef tanks.

2075turner

I think that we are all capable of searching used ottawa and kijiji?  Those that are interested in more are at this site to learn and share, not just to sell.

Fishnut

LOL...weird how it is assumed that I, as an OVAS Member, am so narrow minded that it would never occur to me to check out other classified sites for deals on fish stuff.

It sucks for you guys who aren't OVAS members because you're denying yourself the multiple benefits that the club provides.

damarech

But the only section that non members can not use is the for sale part  ???

Your justification does not make sense.Used Ottawa don't charge or require you to become member to participate.Or maybe I am just cheap :-[

ajm1961

If you care so much about posting for sale ads on this site, it would be well worth $20 a year. Don't forget that you would also get a 10% discount at several LFS that support our club. We welcome you with open arms!
Hopefully you will consider this and join us.
Cheers.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Iceman

Quote from: damarech on November 27, 2010, 12:26:19 AMUsed Ottawa don't charge or require you to become member to participate.

Used Ottawa is a place to sell stuff. OVAS is not. OVAS does not require you to buy a membership to participate in its core objectives.