New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Poker Night Anyone

Started by Hookup, December 17, 2010, 12:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

I would like to host a poker night at my place on Jan 7 or 8th in the new year.  I am looking for interest and looking to see which date works best. 

My typical games have started around 7pm and run until midnight.  I like to set a hard stop and the winners are determined by chip count.  Of course if you're the last person standing before midnight you win!

Let me know if anyone is interested.  If there is enough interest I can and will send out details by PM.

PS: This is "poor man's poker", very low dollar values.

Hookup

Some additional information.

1) The game is completely co-ed.  My wife plays and will join, as will her Daughter i'm sure (who is a shark)

2) The game is very casual.  If you're looking for hard-core cards with no laughing/jokes and conversation you'll not find it here...   However, it is "serious" in that no cheating, table talk, etc will be tolerated...

3) It is open for beginners and pro's alike.  Often times we have had people at the table who had to have the order of hands written down so they know if a flush is higher than a straight and where 3 of a kind fits... This is NO problem and makes the game enjoyable for all.

4) yes, there is money involved, only a little, but it's really about having a good time, some laughs and stories, and playing some cards.

HomerJ

I'm in if there's room.

Plus, I'll get to see if these pics you posted are just Photoshop'd or if they are real ;-b

P.S. I would qualify myself as a n00b when it comes to poker, although I do know how the game works.

Sounds like great fun.

(The 7th or the 8th are equally fine for me, although I find I have more energy on saturday nights.  Work sucks the life out of me!)

Darth

I would love to (if only to see the tank in person) But I work weekends, and midnight is waaaay past bedtime for me

Severum

Quote from: HomerJ on December 17, 2010, 04:07:29 PM
P.S. I would qualify myself as a n00b when it comes to poker,

I believe in poker a noob is called dead money. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

HomerJ

Quote from: Severum on December 17, 2010, 04:42:56 PM
I believe in poker a noob is called dead money. :)

Yeah yeah... and when they win, you call them Lucky.  ;-b

Hookup

First rule of cards... Trust no one... 

Sounds like we'll have a few people out which is great.

One more clarification...  I have a non smoking house. I do have a covered porch...

But, dealing stops for no one, for no reason...  If you are not at the table, you are dealt in and check or fold as required...  You pay your blinds too...  The game continues...  :)

holachicka

I am in - beware, I have been known to be pretty good back in the day...!! ;)

As for the house rules -I promise to abide!! :D

Any of those dates work for me and I look forward to seeing the nice set up again!!

HomerJ

Quote from: holachicka on December 17, 2010, 06:21:28 PM
I look forward to seeing the nice set up again!!

IF it is for real ;-b

holachicka

Quote from: HomerJ on December 17, 2010, 06:27:07 PM
IF it is for real ;-b

oh, it's real....was there with a friend to pick something up and let me tell ya...Its freakin beautiful...but dont tell Hookup I said that...if he asks, tell him I said it was "alright looking"  ;D :D ;)

White Lightning

Quote from: Hookup on December 17, 2010, 05:43:46 PM
First rule of cards... Trust no one... 

Sounds like we'll have a few people out which is great.

One more clarification...  I have a non smoking house. I do have a covered porch...

But, dealing stops for no one, for no reason...  If you are not at the table, you are dealt in and check or fold as required...  You pay your blinds too...  The game continues...  :)

Makes absolute sense.

Count me in, sounds like fun! I would certainly like to see this sharp looking tank of yours and I rarely ever pass up a game of friendly poker. Can the wife come?

Hookup

Well that's got about 6 or so people!  Whoo we got a game!   We can easily set up more tables and the software we use manages the entire setup... 

White Lightning.. Yes, your wife is welcome...  I assume she will play cards too?

White Lightning

No she hates playing cards but likes the social aspect. Are spectators allowed?

I promise she won't get out of line.  ;)

washefuzzy

Quote from: holachicka on December 17, 2010, 06:21:28 PM
I am in - beware, I have been known to be pretty good back in the day...!! ;)

As for the house rules -I promise to abide!! :D

Any of those dates work for me and I look forward to seeing the nice set up again!!

I don't know to much about poker but I would love to try if Holachifree would offer me a ride.  ;)

Hookup

Great stuff!  Sounds like we have a game...

The game is no limit hold'em.  Details to follow, but let's set the date for Sunday Jan 8th.  Cards start at 7pm and run till 12midnight at which point y'all gotta get out... :)

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Hookup

Doh!

SATURDAY JAN 8th   7:00pm to Midnight
Texas Hold'em No Limit
Casual game beginners welcome
BYOB
Smoke outside

There, I think I got it right this time... Lol

washefuzzy

I'm lost.  ???  Can I have a wee bit of an explanation of Texas Hold'em No Limit. I plan to figure the basic of the game on-line. Give me luck.

Brent Shaver

go to full tilt poker and down load it.  You can play in free play money tourneys.  If you play the 90 player tourneys they fill fast so can keep playing even if you get unlucky.

NOTE:  At no time does this message take or accept responciblity of your new and up coming addiction.  :) :)

Hookup

It is a very easy game to learn and a hard one to master... 

The highest hand wins, and the standard ranking of poker hands apply. 

Two cards are dealt to you face down.  You can look at these, they are secret to you.

A round of betting occurs.  It's hard at this time as you are betting based upon two cards only.

The dealer then deals discards one card and deals the next three face up.  These are called "the flop". 

A round of betting occurs.  This is better because you now have five cards, the two on your and and the three common ones.

The dealer then discards one card and deals one card face up.  This is called "the turn".  There are now four common cards and your two hidden cards. 

A round of betting occurs.

The dealer then discards one card and deals one more, the final card face up.  This is called "the river". There are now a total of five face up cards on the table, and two hidden in your hand. 

The final round of betting occurs and the highest hand wins.

It is not a bad idea to get on line and try though I've never plaid online myself.  For those with a blackberry, RIM has a Texas Hold'em game that is pretty easy to beat after a while... But great for the basics.

If we did have enou players who have never plaid or want to practice we can setup a practice hour from 6pm till 7pm if you like.  Just let me know and I will arrange and host that.  But I take no responsibilities for your losses and 25% of your winnings...  (just kidding).

holachicka

Quote from: washefuzzy on December 19, 2010, 11:25:28 AM
I don't know to much about poker but I would love to try if Holachifree would offer me a ride.  ;)

I am coming from Kanata...where you located?! I am up to car pool...and I will even one up the ante (lol, god I kill me) and be the designated driver too for any who aren't too far out of my way...I would have room for 2 more...

I am realy looking forward to this....if we run out of coin, can we start trading corals/fish??!!  ;D

Severum

I'll play.

But if Hookup gets in to me for 10 large at the end of the night I'm taking his fancy new tank home with me. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

Hookup

Quote from: Severum on December 21, 2010, 10:37:30 AM
I'll play.

But if Hookup gets in to me for 10 large at the end of the night I'm taking his fancy new tank home with me. :)

if only...

and you got to carry it....

and, i don't care how big the $10 bill is... this deal ain't happening.. ;)

Hookup

This is still a go!  The game is on...  Saturday Jan 8th, pre-poker from 6 to 7pm and the real game, and money starts at 7pm

Details to follow, I just wanted to reassure everyone the game is happening...

ordi260

Woohoo i'm looking forward to it!!!

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

alongfortheride

Patrick and I are definitely in :)
Although we are not very experienced Poker players - I think it will be fun :)
See everyone then :)

Hookup

Ok,
  The game is one week away today.  7 days to bone up your card skills people.

I'm sending out via PM the details today.  We are at 13 people!  A great size for sure.

holachicka

Awesome....this will be so much fun!

2075turner

Hey there,

Just noticed this thread.  If you have another one we would like to come over.  "All in Norm" and I that is, lol

Hookup

Quote from: 2075turner on January 03, 2011, 12:06:18 AM
Hey there,

Just noticed this thread.  If you have another one we would like to come over.  "All in Norm" and I that is, lol

Please do come along!  Both of you!

2075turner

I will try to line up a babysitter.  If I do, were in :)

Hookup

Just one more day for everyone to practice up!

Tomorrow is go time!  and it looks like a full house of aces over kings!  At last count we were at 15 people!

Send me a PM or post here in the thread if you have any questions...

and looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow evening!

holachicka

Ive been practicing my poker face all week...This is going to be great!!! :)

Severum

I've never played poker before. Last night I did read the insert that came with my deck of cards so I think I got the rules down. Go easy on me.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

RoxyDog

Poker is good.  :)  How the heck do you play with that many people?  One big table?  Groups?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Hookup

Well roxydog you'll have to come and see!!!

Multiple tables... ;)

Hookup

Quote from: holachicka on January 07, 2011, 11:36:52 AM
Ive been practicing my poker face all week...This is going to be great!!! :)

Ppppppp poker face?

holachicka

Quote from: Hookup on January 07, 2011, 11:57:05 PM
Ppppppp poker face?

Darn skippy....I will be playing my Lady Gaga tonight...I aint lying!

White Lightning

I totally forgot about this....(man I am an idiot!)

Who was the big winner?

holachicka

I was  :D ;D ! I believed Victory Will Be Mine and it was...not
.....too Bad you missed it, I could've have used à few extra bucks.....LOL

Hob, Ordi and Tim....in that order. I was out 2nd or 3rd ;) great night, loads of fun. hope to do it again!!

Good game everyone!!!!!

Hookup

Thanks to everyone.  We had a great time.  I believe the final count was 13people with 12 players.  We started a bit late and finished up a bit early, but all in all there were no hiccups.

HOB was the big winner slamming down the nuts straight for an all-in avalanche of chips from Ordi...  We saw some great action, too much to mention here.

I'm a bit tied up with work, but I'm thinking the next game will be in Feb.  Either Feb 4 or Feb 5.  I'm going to need chairs and a table if we get a bigger turnout as we were pretty full.

Thanks again everyone and hope to see you at the next one.

Severum

Full house vs 4 of a kind on the flop did me in. I will get my revenge against Ordi next time.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

ordi260

Hehe  ;) We had a good time indeed!!!

See you all next time and thanks to hookup and his wife for organizing that great night!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Hookup

Quote from: ordi260 on January 09, 2011, 06:46:55 PM
Hehe  ;) We had a good time indeed!!!

See you all next time and thanks to hookup and his wife for organizing that great night!

So did you have the 4 on that hand or what?  I laid down a good hand... 

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

RoxyDog

Quote from: Hookup on January 07, 2011, 11:55:51 PM
Well roxydog you'll have to come and see!!!

Multiple tables... ;)

Perhaps next time I will...someone needs to take your money besides HOB (okay not me, I'd be donating).  Sounds like you all had fun!  :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.