New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Usage Based Billing for Internet Connections

Started by Severum, January 31, 2011, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

Not impressed with this at all.

Tomorrow I go from unlimited bandwidth to 25Gb. So where will my other 250Gb of monthly usage come from? My wallet unfortunately.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

HappyGuppy

Who is your provider?  I use acanac.ca - unlimited high speed.

JetJumper

Quote from: HappyGuppy on January 31, 2011, 03:48:48 PM
Who is your provider?  I use acanac.ca - unlimited high speed.

Not anymore.  ALL DSL Providers are changing this.  It is new regulation from the CRTC.

Its xxxxxxx

I pull 1TB+ / Month sometimes...  Time to switch to Business DSL.  No caps ;)  If they will allow me.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Severum

They will not give a business line to a residential phone number, unless you run a home business.

Acanac - Your monthly fee will jump up huge after the first year. And its a lump sump payment. Have you read the horror stories of anyone thats tried to cancel their service?

There are cable resellers that offer unlimited, but we don't have any in Ottawa. Only Robbers.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

Quote from: Severum on January 31, 2011, 04:14:42 PM
They will not give a business line to a residential phone number, unless you run a home business.

Easy to arrange ;)  Just have to be shaddy.. haha!

Hookup

Quote from: JetJumper on January 31, 2011, 03:52:56 PM
Not anymore.  ALL DSL Providers are changing this.  It is new regulation from the CRTC.

Its xxxxxxx

I pull 1TB+ / Month sometimes...  Time to switch to Business DSL.  No caps ;)  If they will allow me.

This is news to me.. also bad news...

Rogers is my current provider of DSL...

25gb limit?    isn't like 1 "season" of a High-Def television show over that on iTunes?  

Brent Shaver

Its typical of rogers to give something until everyone is use to it then bang off to the wallet.  As for it being the CRTC, well that wouldnt have happened if  they werent pestered by all the carriers to make it happen so they could have an excuse to make more money.  I know for one, should any company come out with cable that is reliable rogers wont get another cent from me.  A long history has soured any goodness they have to offer.

Jeff1192

It's not too late to stop this. It is going to parliament this week.

Here's a link to an on-line petition against this ridiculous ruling.

http://openmedia.ca/meter

It's no surprise that Rogers and Bell are pushing for this. How many people do you know that have cancelled their cable/satellite since Netflix became available in Canada? This is a way to force those people to come back. If you're limited to 25GB that's only about 4-6 movies a month and then you're out of bandwith.

You can also write your member of parliament.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Darth

honestly I understand the cap, it's fair usage why should I pay the same amount for using 25gb as the person who uses  300gb. That doesnt seem fair. Internet used to be unlimited yes then people took advantage of it with file sharing and what not. As far as paying for business internet to get unlimited, by the time you pay the pay the monthly fee, you would be over the $50 cap that rogers charges. Just my opinion, yes it does suck to have to pay an overage fee, but end of the day it's better than having them throttle my connection because I use too much

RossW

Quote from: Darth on January 31, 2011, 06:52:33 PM
honestly I understand the cap, it's fair usage why should I pay the same amount for using 25gb as the person who uses  300gb.
Does that mean that the person who had a contract which allowed him access to 300GB of bandwidth should lose it?  I personally chose a plan with a low cap to save a buck.

Quote from: Darth on January 31, 2011, 06:52:33 PM
but end of the day it's better than having them throttle my connection because I use too much
I will eat my shirt if this stops throttling and shaping.  Those technologies, and more will come, are here to stay.

Brent Shaver

It is just more proof that Rogers will do as they please when they please.  Doesn't matter if it is cell, cable or home phone.  They have a monopoly and they exercise there power often.  I just received a notice that my cable is going up $5 a month due to increases...  What a joke, lets say they only have a million clients watching TV (very small number) so what they are saying it is a must to increase my rates and yours so they can make over $5 million a month more profit.

The reality of it is they are already over charging for most things, but the one I love the most is how we are getting dinged more and more for HD TV which is the new standard and the fact that it is an extra is mind boggling.

I signed a contract guarenting me certian rates which have changed at least 5 times in the last 18 months.  Contracts are for us to be held but not for them to follow, you will learn this as soon as you argue an increase or complain about service and threaten to leave.

I guess we should look on the good side, there is nothing better then calling for tech support and getting a free over seas call to India so someone with less experience can read from a book....lol

JetJumper

Quote from: Brent Shaver on January 31, 2011, 07:27:49 PM
It is just more proof that Rogers will do as they please when they please.  Doesn't matter if it is cell, cable or home phone.  They have a monopoly and they exercise there power often.  I just received a notice that my cable is going up $5 a month due to increases...  What a joke, lets say they only have a million clients watching TV (very small number) so what they are saying it is a must to increase my rates and yours so they can make over $5 million a month more profit.

The reality of it is they are already over charging for most things, but the one I love the most is how we are getting dinged more and more for HD TV which is the new standard and the fact that it is an extra is mind boggling.

I signed a contract guarenting me certian rates which have changed at least 5 times in the last 18 months.  Contracts are for us to be held but not for them to follow, you will learn this as soon as you argue an increase or complain about service and threaten to leave.

I guess we should look on the good side, there is nothing better then calling for tech support and getting a free over seas call to India so someone with less experience can read from a book....lol

I understand your pain!  I have been with Rogers / Bell / and a few other Joes out there.  Just get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/GTT4-Cable-Locking-Terminator-Tool-CATV-Boxes-4-5-/350435958811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51979c601b and get free cable.  Free ExpressVu can happen as well. *I am not saying I use these options listed above*

If they change the contract atleast you can get out of it with out paying a penalty.

Its all a money making scam from these large companies trying to control things.  They don't want to upgrade infrastructure to meet the growing demands of society so we are forced to be restricted.  You look at the rest of the world and some places have 100-200Mb connections to their HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!  You would blow through a 25Gb cap in less then the time to cook Mac and Cheese!

All in all its another setback for evolution.  Just pisses me off..

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

Jeff1192

Quote from: Severum on February 01, 2011, 10:17:19 AM
Looks like the Liberals oppose UBB. The system might just work...

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/31/technology-internet-usage-based-billing-clement-garneau.html

I'm getting a little worried now. Never thought I'd agree with the Liberals on something! What's the world coming to!
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Severum

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

It will be cheaper to buy a 160GB SSD full of "downloads" and have it shipped to your door from the states, use the media and trash the $300 SSD and repeat this every month.

HappyGuppy

I AM SOOOOOO ANGRY ABOUT THIS NOW!!!!!  I AM CENSORING MY COMMENTS ABOUT THIS OUTRAGEOUS DECISION BY THE CRTC!!!

Gee, I wonder who paid off whom, and who'll be making a fortune out of this insanity that surely will end up hurting Canadians and Canada as a whole.  Whatever happened to the spirit of GOL?

For this I'm actually ready to march to Parliament Hill.  This is outrageous!

Darth

Quote from: salvini55 on February 01, 2011, 04:27:16 PM
It will be cheaper to buy a 160GB SSD full of "downloads" and have it shipped to your door from the states, use the media and trash the $300 SSD and repeat this every month.
how would $300 be cheaper than $50 max overage charge? maybe I missed something

HappyGuppy

How does this affect Netscape & online TV?  Wasn't that supposed to be the "future"?

Man, I am so making a coat hanger antenna!