New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Internet Provider

Started by Feivel, October 18, 2011, 05:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

I'm with Primus and though their speeds aren't the best I'm ableto DL and 500 and UL at 80. They had a lot of trouble early on but I haven't noticed any downtime in years. Their best benefit is no usage cap. If you like to download from bit torrent this is a good provider.

Quote from: Darth on October 18, 2011, 09:45:39 PM
There is going to be something passed soom that ALL internet companies will have to have a bandwith cap (suprising only the people that use a lot of internet are going to blow a gasket)

There was a thread on here about Usage Based Billing. The idea was passed and then squashed because massive support of a petition against it. If they were to pass the bill again I'm sure download monsters would have another fit.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=48573.0
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

Quote from: Darth on October 19, 2011, 07:28:23 AM

Teksavvy
Move Fee = $65
If a Dispatch is required for troubleshooting = $99
Additional Bandwidth = $.50/GB/mo
Account changes = $5
rogers
Move Fee = $0
If a Dispatch is required for troubleshooting = $0
Additional Bandwidth = $.50/GB/mo this is dependent on rogers teksavvy rules on bandwith allowance for now
Account changes = $o

so there are my facts  ;D

Let us compare:

TekSavvy Extreme Cable

Up to 24 Mbps   download
Up to 1 Mbps   upload
$42.95/month   
300gb/month
Activation fee = $44.95, Save $20 with a modem purchase!
Move Fee = $65
Account changes = $5

Rogers Extreme

Up to 24 Mbps   download
Up to 1 Mbps   upload
$59.99/month   
100gb/month (To get to 300G 200x 1.5 = $300/month more
$14.95 one-time activation fee apply. Internet modem purchase or monthly rental required.

OH!!! and this is GREAT
††Rogers Hi Speed Internet (delivered over cable) and Portable Internet from Rogers currently manages upstream peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing applications speed to a maximum of 80 kbps per customer. This policy is maintained at all times. For information on Rogers Internet traffic management practices and Legal Disclosure click here.
**** MAIN REASON I LEFT THESE IDIOTS!********
Another thing is Rogers will disconnect your internet WITH OUT notifying you on their will.  ANOTHER reason I left them.  They suspended my account for a week because THEY did not like the content I was downloading.  Thats a NO NO in Canada.

I don't know how people can defend BELL or Rogers.  They don't offer a competitive product if anything THEY hold development back because they don't want to spend money, just make it.  

Thats my rant on this.  
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

bt

Quote from: JetJumper on October 18, 2011, 11:25:37 PM
Can you post the actual speed test link to this speed, I would love to see that on a rogers network.  Its also most likely a burst speed and not an actual 89MB/s sustained if it does actually come out reading 89.

That's exactly it.  Rogers Speedboost messes with most speed tests.

bt

Quote from: Darth on October 19, 2011, 07:28:23 AMTeksavvy
Move Fee = $65
Account changes = $5
rogers
Move Fee = $0
If a Dispatch is required for troubleshooting = $0
Additional Bandwidth = $.50/GB/mo this is dependent on rogers teksavvy rules on bandwith allowance for now
Account changes = $o

so there are my facts  ;D

Your facts aren't quite right.  It is poorly described on the Teksavvy website, however.

"If a Dispatch is required for troubleshooting" is the same for both companies (at least for the Teksavvy cable connection, Teksavvy DSL is a different situation).  Rogers can (and will) charge you that very same $99 under the same circumstances as a Teksavvy customer would get charged it, and in both cases the charge originates with Rogers.

The only time they charge it is when the end customer has altered the installation AND that was the cause of the problem.  It's very rare - that goes for both Teksavvy and Rogers customers.

Having said that, Teksavvy has been having continual issues for the past year and change keeping up with growth.  They have issues keeping up with backhaul capacity (though not too bad in Ottawa from what I've heard), as well as issues related to increased staffing numbers leading to increased wait times (can't add new staff fast enough) and lower quality service (due to so many new, and therefore inexperienced CSRs).

There's also the issue that Rogers wholesale support system is email-only with a 48 hour response time (not turn-around, just response)...  And that their audit system can't see wholesale accounts, so sees addresses that have wholesale cable internet and no other cable services as "unused connections" and flags them for physical disconnection...

Greatwhite

Well crap.  I did a speedtest just now, and this was the result:

BUT... Rogers' Speed test shows something completely different.  I had done the rogers speed test just last week, which is where I got my numbers from.  I suspect that their Speed Boost stuff comes into play here!!

Darth

Quote from: JetJumper on October 19, 2011, 10:48:53 AM
Let us compare:
Rogers Extreme

Up to 24 Mbps   download
Up to 1 Mbps   upload
$59.99/month   
100gb/month (To get to 300G 200x 1.5 = $300/month more
$14.95 one-time activation fee apply. Internet modem purchase or monthly rental required

as I said previosly teksavvy has bandwith beat
as far as your overages they do not charge you $300 in overages there is a cap at $50 you might want to check your facts
that being said I never said they were the cheapest
and for p2p the upload stream most people dont' care about its dl speed

and there is going to be a cap on all providers coming into play yes I know this was previously discussed but it is not dead yet, they are still trying to enforce this

and speed tests are going to vary by where the test is being done, the closer the test the better the speed of course.

bt

Quote from: Darth on October 19, 2011, 03:59:09 PM

Capping the upload speed at such a low level indirectly caps download speeds as well.  You need a certain amount of upstream to send out enough requests to accommodate a higher downstream.

Quote from: Darth on October 19, 2011, 03:59:09 PMand there is going to be a cap on all providers coming into play yes I know this was previously discussed but it is not dead yet, they are still trying to enforce this

Bell is, Rogers isn't.  And if Bell does get their way, it won't automatically apply to wholesale Rogers connections.

JetJumper

Quote from: Darth on October 19, 2011, 03:59:09 PM
as I said previosly teksavvy has bandwith beat
as far as your overages they do not charge you $300 in overages there is a cap at $50 you might want to check your facts
that being said I never said they were the cheapest

and there is going to be a cap on all providers coming into play yes I know this was previously discussed but it is not dead yet, they are still trying to enforce this

and speed tests are going to vary by where the test is being done, the closer the test the better the speed of course.

Like BT said, upload does matter. 

HOWEVER there are ways around the crap they try to spoonfeed people.  VPN connections using 128bit, 256bit, or higher to a remote service encapsulates the packets so they cannot do a deep packet inspection therefore making all traffic (inlcuding Torrenting) look like regular encrypted traffic.  They can't throttle that ;)

OH, another thing that companies do is throttle during peak times.  I am sorry but if you are going to sell me a car and tell me I can only go 20km/h in an 80km/h zone when there clearly ISN'T a traffic jam, then screw them.  (Companies that do this... you guessed it!!! BELL AND ROGERS!  Bell does this at the Nexia in Ottawa.  For those who don't know what that is its the major trunk line in and out so again, VPN required to beat it.)

You can argue all you want, but Bell and Rogers are evil companies just out there to make a buck and don't give a damn about the customer.

JetJumper

QuoteAt the CRTC's recent hearing on Internet metering, a lobbyist from Bell stood up before the Commission, looked each member in the eye, and suggested Canadians don't mind a pay meter on their Internet use.

I asked him afterwards how he could say such a thing—nearly half-a-million Canadians revolted against Internet price-gouging by signing the Stop The Meter petition this year. The Bell lobbyist responded with a simple statement: "It's not personal."

I was stunned. Can you afford to have new fees added to your Internet bill each month? I know I can't. Being price-gouged is personal, especially in these unstable economic times.

We at OpenMedia.ca are cautiously optimistic that the CRTC will do the right thing and let indie ISPs provide unmetered Internet access. But we know one thing for sure: big phone and cable companies are working behind the scenes to undo the progress we've made. We can't let them get away with this.

Don't know about anyone else here, but I MIND!!!  Once they get a foot hold on UBB it will be one thing after another just like they did with the cell phones.  You will be paying an EXTRA fee just to watch netflix on top of your current bandwidth.  The preiums will never end!!

Cell phones used to have free text messaging, now they classify 1 text message as what is it... $0.15 now a days?  or is it $0.20.. I can't remember.  That's 160 characters of information.  (.13671875 Kbytes)  Do the math and you see how much a Gb would cost then!! hahaha..

I know I am off track, but we can't give in to these large companies.. My recommendation, don't use them otherwise they will just use you to line their pockets with Gold!!!!!!!!!

Greatwhite

I hate companies that monopolize a whole market, and can't allow any other companies to complete.  Competition gets better prices & service.  It is ridiculous how dependent we are on companies like Rogers and Bell - because there are no better options, really.

I got away from Bell internet originally because I didn't like using the same company for home phone, cell and internet. (not to mention the threatening calls when I was 1 day late on paying a bill)........ But now, I use Rogers for cable, internet, home phone, cell phone...  At least I get free stuff out of them sometimes.

az

this is suppose tobe a new faster service from Bell, omg so horrible!!!!

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

az

Quote from: az on November 07, 2011, 11:07:17 PM
this is suppose tobe a new faster service from Bell, omg so horrible!!!!

30 mins later.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

magnosis

You should really measure with the same server.
First test you were connecting to Kingston, second test to Kanata.

The upload speed you reached in the first test is brutal !!

Greatwhite

Quote from: magnosis on November 08, 2011, 01:14:03 PM
You should really measure with the same server.
First test you were connecting to Kingston, second test to Kanata.

The upload speed you reached in the first test is brutal !!

I suspect that he just let it choose the "best" server at the time.