New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Costco Steaks

Started by Cheebs, January 17, 2012, 04:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheebs

Costco has the best steaks around. There I said it.

Greatwhite

Nerine

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

DaWolfe

A1.  Always get them there.  I must add that pretty much any meat there is excellent.

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

They have the best spicy italian sausage too i think!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

2075turner

their spiced chicken breasts are what gets us in a frenzy....nicknamed the "addictive chicken" around here

Monte

Their Carrot cake is also killer.... I love Costco... :P
40 Gallon Breeder

Cheebs

Quote from: Monte on January 17, 2012, 07:48:56 PM
Their Carrot cake is also killer.... I love Costco... :P

Except on Saturdays  :o

Rybren

Chicken Pot Pies.... mmmmmmmmm
120G Reef

rgauvin

They have a killer marinated pork chop. The chops are like 2 inches thick, and DELICIOUS!

brotherluv

Perhaps I should renew my membership...

jshchrtn

The giant bag of dried mango's is worth a trip there too! Actually wish the bag was larger! Haha

Bubbles

As far as the steaks go I usually buy the whole Cross rib or NY strip then proceed to cut my own steaks. I usually cut 1 or 2 roasts and 6 to 10 steaks. (I used to be a meat cutter)
At Costco they have pamphlets right there on the wall above the freezer that give you instructions on "how-to"

bt

Quote from: Chubs on January 17, 2012, 04:38:15 PM
Costco has the best steaks around. There I said it.

Nope, a good actual butcher will beat them.

But Costco definitely has the best steaks outside of a proper, dedicated quality butcher shop (and they tend to cost a lot less than steaks from a proper, dedicated quality butcher shop).  Compared to any grocery store though?  No competition.

Fishnut

I resisted for a long time not to buy into that whole thing but I caved and I get lots there now.  Meats are amazing, deserts are addictive and the prices of cheeses are amazing!!

Greatwhite

I actually get my beef delivered from a farm in Manotick.  I essentially pay for a subscription to -- cow.  The cows are grain fed, organic, blah blah blah...  I get a box of frozen beef to my door every other month currently, because I didn't want to commit to getting it more often without seeing the quality of the meat first.

Really - it's the tastiest beef I've ever had.  BUT - the cuts so far haven't been what I'd pick out of a butcher's fridge as I've found that some of the steaks didn't look as "pretty" as I'd like with excess fat.

Costco's steaks (and all the other meat I've gotten from them) is usually very consistent in thickness and quality.  And that counts for a lot.

I've bought the $100 whole beef tenderloin there a few times in the past and cut my own steaks and roasts, and packaged up the trimmings for stew/chili/fondue.  You save a lot that way, if you're brave enough to attempt this. :)

I once got the $100 tenderloin and put the WHOLE THING on a rotisserie in my BBQ with apple-wood chips in the smoker box.  Good thing I had a BIG BBQ.  Now THAT is the only way to cook it!!!!

Fishnut

Ugh...I read this and realized that it's 2:30ish and I haven't had lunch...thanks...thanks so much...lol

If you have a website or contact info that you can send me on the farm, please PM me.  I've been thinking about doing something like that.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Fishnut on January 18, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
If you have a website or contact info that you can send me on the farm, please PM me.  I've been thinking about doing something like that.

I'll check with the wife when she gets home... She organized it.  We've only had one box of meat so far, but when the dude came to the door and said "I have a box of meat for you" - I cried a little.  The box had 3lbs of BEAUTIFUL ground beef, a 3lb roast (my first short rib roast - amazing!), 1lb sirloin steak, 1lb cross rib steaks (2 steaks), and 1lb of beef sausage which were AWESOME.  Dude's gonna be at the door this Saturday AM with a new box.

dan2x38

Been reading this now decided to chime in. I'm a butcher that is how I hurt my back and now I do not cut meat... LOL use to cut carcass beef (meat) right off the hook to your plate. For Cosco and most stores now it is all meat that is slathered cut in huge plants crio-vaced (sp) - packaged with all air removed. Ever open those large cuts they smell and have an off colour but that changes in a short time once O2 starts to return to the meat. This meat is on the shelves almost soon as the cow gets a bolt in the head. It has no time for the enzymes to start to break down the tissue to tenderize. If you want a real steak you need it from a true butcher. Some sell aged beef 14 - 21 days. Yes it costs more but if you've never had one especially Angus, Colby or similar aged beef raised on feed not from animal by products then you've never had an awesome steak - period!

The beef is also graded and a plain old grade A is not top of the line it is barely top beef in my eyes. You will see advertised "at least Grade A beef" that can be very good. Look on the fat for the stamp it has to have - on whole pieces any ways. You will sometimes get AAA beef because they had to meet an order allotment. If it is not stated grade A min. you might be getting hamburger beef Grade B it happens.

Now a days all - almost all package meat comes from a factory not the butcher in the back cutting and it wrapped there. Most places have some one on hand but they couldn't cut the cheese let a lone a nice top sirloin steak. Oh and by the way someone wrote they cut cross rib steak I think they mean rib steak from a standing rib roast. Cross rib has great flavor but is tough and needs to be slow cooked to tenderize it.

You can age your own beef by buying the large uncut piece crio-vaced. Open it up then let it sit in your fridge in the very bottom part where it is coldest. After a week or two if your fridge is cold enough trim the dark blue dried up meat off the sides cut your steaks and cook to your liking (not well done) and you will have an amazing steak of your own. As for cold enough fridge meat freezes at -2*c in our cutting room it is 32*f or 0*. When we left beef hanging it was in those temps just so you have a gauge of meat temps for aging. Plus do not cut your steaks until your ready to throw on the grill or in the pan you just loss moisture which equals flavour.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."