New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Open the traffic in general items!!!!!!!

Started by elk, April 01, 2012, 02:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk

I think their would be alot more ads placed in the general items section if it was open to everyone.

ajm1961

You may be right - but shouldn't paid membership come with some privileges? :-\
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

elk

well if ovas intentions are to sell more memberships by limiting the classifieds really isnt the way to do it.
Non members can always use Kigigi or USEDOTTAWA

bitterman

Elk , why don't you support your local club? $20 is a small price for the year and just goes back into education. Ovas is a non profit organisation. Not to mention most people save over $20 per year with purchases at the LFS that give the 10% discount. Not to mention do you realise none club member are guests to the site? This site costs monthly fees to keep the website up. The more user the more it costs to run. So in a sense by not supporting your club with a membership you are taking away from the club.

I'm glad they left it only for Ovas Club members we are an aquarium society, not Kijiji or USEDOTTAWA. Membership should have its benefits.

Regards,
  Bruce

charlie

Quote from: elk on April 01, 2012, 03:31:47 PM
well if ovas intentions are to sell more memberships by limiting the classifieds really isnt the way to do it.
Non members can always use Kigigi or USEDOTTAWA

Perhaps you can expound on how the club can sell more membership, since it seems to be a topic you are knowledgeable of, please share & help OVAS, this is not to say  i think the reason for the gen. classifieds being members is like you insinuated .
Regards

Nerine

It isn't our intention to limit the classified to increase membership sales, but to give members special perks. There are many groups who limit their lounges to members only...which I think is a nice member benefit!!
Shouldn't being a MEMBER have benefits????
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Malyon18

I really like the idea of members having perks,and I do agree that the 20 membership fee is minimal to what some of us save with the discounts that come with it. If you spend $200 a year at the lfs and you save 10% then you have already made your 20 bucks back, the rest is just gravy.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

elk

WOW, Is that what it takes for members to reply more often to non memebers posts.

Nerine

I reply to posts...should I be insulted by that??? :P
I haven't posted much due to having bronchitis and pneumonia since November. But you can always talk to me at the meetings as I rarely miss them!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Malyon18

Well I did a quick statistical analysis and out of my last 20 replies 85% of them were to non-members post, 10% were to post from the web master and 5% was to an ovas club topic. If I was to only reply to members post the forum would be pretty boring since there are so few members.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

touchofsky

I am a OVAS club member (joined a few months ago), but it isn't indicated on my posts.  How do I add that?

Cheebs

Quote from: elk on April 01, 2012, 04:40:06 PM
WOW, Is that what it takes for members to reply more often to non memebers posts.

I think you may be assuming things that aren't true... I doubt any members think they are are better than non-members and choose to not post on non-member posts. I need to renew my membership, but when I was a member it never even crossed my mind. It's a little far-fetched to assume otherwise.

I'm also not sure about opening the general item ads to anyone. Then it would just be another UsedOttawa where anyone can join and post anything. I was under the impression that that section was for members to sell items to eachother so they could get first dibs with people in the club, instead of just using Kijiji or UsedOttawa.

Brine

I didn't pay my membership to get access to the classifieds. I wouldn't be upset if we got rid of them all together. I check the classifieds AND usedottawa AND kijiji all the time. I became a member for the information, hints and tips which I could have got without joining. The $20 I gave just helps to run this club and the website and bring in speakers etc. I think that is way more important than saving a few bucks on some equipment or livestock.

Note to everyone:

We've had this discussion before and it got pretty heated so please try to be polite.
Thank you

sas

Quote from: Brine on April 01, 2012, 05:24:23 PM
I didn't pay my membership to get access to the classifieds. I wouldn't be upset if we got rid of them all together. I check the classifieds AND usedottawa AND kijiji all the time. I became a member for the information, hints and tips which I could have got without joining. The $20 I gave just helps to run this club and the website and bring in speakers etc. I think that is way more important than saving a few bucks on some equipment or livestock.

Note to everyone:

We've had this discussion before and it got pretty heated so please try to be polite.
Thank you

Thanks Brine, just had the same thought.
Play nice or there will be some fishslaps ;D.

Cheebs

Good call... I geared my post back a little, cheers.

touchofsky

I am a recent member and I have to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed going to the meetings and meeting so many great people who share an interest in the hobby that I love so much.  I joined for that reason, rather than posting in classified or for the discount on store purchases  :)

bettabreeder

Quote from: Chubs on April 01, 2012, 05:09:05 PM

I'm also not sure about opening the general item ads to anyone. Then it would just be another UsedOttawa where anyone can join and post anything. I was under the impression that that section was for members to sell items to eachother so they could get first dibs with people in the club, instead of just using Kijiji or UsedOttawa.

My thoughts exactly. Being a former member I must say that the 10% does come in handy a lot. I've been meaning to renew my membership but being a student school life has taken over and it appears as if end of April will be when I can get out to another meeting and get my membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exv152

Allowing those who pay for a membership to post ads kind of ensures what they're selling is somewhat legitimate. Unlike some of the other public sites, I'm always kind of skeptical. At least you know ovas sellers are putting their name and reputation up everytime they sell something. I would rather not see just any joe posting ads to sell their stuff, for that there's the two other public sites mentioned. I come here because I trust ovas members.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

IMHO, if you don't want to buy a membership then you don't get to complain about the site.....

Nerine

well said ;)

besides a membership isn't about the discount or the website...it's about our events, the speakers and the wealth of knowledge, RIGHT???