New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best place to eat near Scotia Bank Place?

Started by Dakotamay, July 25, 2012, 01:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakotamay

Hey fellow salty's. We're headed into Ottawa from Brockville for the Cirque Du Soleil show tonight. Was wondering if anyone has a spot to recommend for dinner. So far we're thinking of going to Scores by BA's. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks again guys and gals.

bt

What kind of food are you in the mood for?  There's a LOT of stuff in Kanata, none of it that far from SBP by car.

JetJumper

Baton Rouge is there as well and one of my fav.

Thai Fusion is next to Baton Rouge as well and good.

I do like montana's as well.

Scottish Glen is awesome if you want a pub..

Cheshire Cat is awesome as well...

All of these are with in short distance.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Dakotamay

Quote from: bt on July 25, 2012, 02:00:26 PM
What kind of food are you in the mood for?  There's a LOT of stuff in Kanata, none of it that far from SBP by car.

Something good. Not to terribly expensive. Easy to please really lol.

Dakotamay

Quote from: JetJumper on July 25, 2012, 02:00:55 PM
Baton Rouge is there as well and one of my fav.

Thai Fusion is next to Baton Rouge as well and good.

I do like montana's as well.

Scottish Glen is awesome if you want a pub..

Cheshire Cat is awesome as well...

All of these are with in short distance.

Thanks JetJumper.
I read about Baton Rouge. Quite pricey though isn't it? That's what I read.  I didn't realize there was a Montana's near by. That's now on the list lol.
Never heard of Scottish Glen or Cheshire Cat. What do they serve? Pretty much same as like Kelsey's and Montana's?

bt

There's an East Side Mario's, a Swiss Chalet and D'Arcy McGee's on Terry Fox.  A Kesley's in the Centrum.

Quick and relatively cheap, there's a Five Guys beside Lowes on Hazeldean.  Just don't go near the place if you've got a peanut allergy.

A bit further away, but there's a Works on the other side of Kanata, on Stonehaven east of Eagleson.  Wild Wing near there too.

exv152

In addition to those above, there's jack astors, crazy horse, BP, Graffitis, Moxies, fratelli's, sushi kanata all in the area.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Greatwhite

I'm a big fan of Jack Astors, but if I had a choice of any restaurant in that area to eat at, I'd be rolling into Moxies.

exv152

Quote from: Greatwhite on July 25, 2012, 02:39:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Jack Astors, but if I had a choice of any restaurant in that area to eat at, I'd be rolling into Moxies.

Me too, for some reason I get amazing service from the waitresses, like nowhere else.
My wife doesn't agree.
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Greatwhite

Quote from: exv152 on July 25, 2012, 02:41:29 PM
Me too, for some reason I get amazing service from the waitresses, like nowhere else.
My wife doesn't agree.
;)

At Moxies, the waitresses are all hired as models - so they can hire and fire based on looks.  I think they run some kind of agency on the side to make it all legit.  Somehow, 3/4 of the time we go there, we get a dude server...

Good thing the food there is AMAZING.  They have some of the best steaks in town...

Dakotamay

Quote from: Greatwhite on July 25, 2012, 02:39:00 PM

So Moxies food is amazing? I've been to the one in Kingston and always loved the food. Might just have to suggest that to our guests as well. They'll be here soon to head into Ottawa.
Thanks again all for the great and quick suggestions. I know I waited til quite late in the afternoon before I thought to post here and ask.

bt

Quote from: Greatwhite on July 25, 2012, 03:00:59 PM
At Moxies, the waitresses are all hired as models - so they can hire and fire based on looks.

I'm really not sure where that myth came from, but it's false.  Some of them DO model, but none of them were hired as models for Moxies.

Edit: Though it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to recruit from modelling agency talent pools.

Greatwhite

Quote from: bt on July 25, 2012, 03:17:22 PM
I'm really not sure where that myth came from, but it's false.  Some of them DO model, but none of them were hired as models for Moxies.

Edit: Though it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to recruit from modelling agency talent pools.

Sorry - didn't mean to derail this thread... Yes, the food at Moxies is awesome. It's not as consistently good at the "new" location in Orleans as it is at the Gloucester Place one, and I've only eaten in Kanata once, and my steak was PERFECT there.

As for the Moxies hiring models thing, it may be an urban legend... I do believe everything I see on the internet - and the person who told me that has been known to be correct 50% of the time. :)

http://smartcanucks.ca/moxies-canada/

"I use to work at Moxies,in order to get job there, you have to be recruited through a modelling agency 90% of the time"

The 10% is probably there to keep people from claiming they are discriminating...  It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where Elaine was trying to expose a diner for only hiring "well endowed" women -- but they all ended up being the owner's daughters. :)

bt

I'm legally required to state that the person who told me is right 100% of the time!

(My wife worked in the kitchen at 2 different Moxies locations)

exv152

Quote from: bt on July 25, 2012, 03:54:19 PM
I'm legally required to state that the person who told me is right 100% of the time!

(My wife worked in the kitchen at 2 different Moxies locations)

Are you saying they also hire kitchen staff from a model agency?

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bt

Personality wise, I don't know that you could find a kitchen person who could put up with being a model  ;D

Jeff1192

I would definitely  recommend Moxies, Baton Rouge or Jack Astors. All great places to grab a bite near Scotiabank Place.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

xenon

I am a sucker for Mucho Burrito. Love that place!

JetJumper

Quote from: xenon on July 25, 2012, 05:04:02 PM
I am a sucker for Mucho Burrito. Love that place!

I was until they charged me $118 for a burrito and took them 20 minutes to refund it to me... it was the manager BTW that was working the cash.. I do believe he punched in $100 cash back and hoped I wouldn't notice my visa slip after swiping the card. (No chip at the time)

Haven't been there since.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

xenon

Interesting that you say that.

My credit card was canceled because of that place for whatever reason.

It stopped working, I called them up and they said there was fraudulent activity at Mucho Burrito so they are sending me a new card in the mail.

Now I go there with cash only. :)