New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Buying winter tires in the US

Started by new_hobby, October 22, 2012, 03:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new_hobby

Have anybody bought winter tires from the US before? I am thinking of order 4 Micheline winter tires from the US and pick them up myself across the border but not sure if it is worth it?

dpatte

add PST at the border, unless you are away long enough
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Jeff1192

Completely worth it. I order all my tires through the States now. They key is you have to make sure that they are tires made in North America that way there is no duty, only tax, when you bring them back. You'd be paying that tax on them if you bought them here anyways. I picked up winter tires for my wife's car last year, through tirerack.com and I paid $105 per tire for tires that were $215 at Canadian Tire. Tire racks's webpage shows you where the tires are made. You can have them delivered to the Corporate Center in Ogdensburg and they'll charge you $8 per tire to hold them for you.  http://www.corp-ctr.com/

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Greatwhite

Quote from: dpatte on October 22, 2012, 04:22:43 PM
add PST at the border, unless you are away long enough

Stay for 48hrs to get $800 per person allowance.  Otherwise, 24-48hrs is $200 per person.

BUT...  American prices on tires + PST, you are still coming up ahead.  Don't try to sneak them across the border, because it's hard to stick 4 winter tires under your coat and you will get caught.

wandmangels

drive down with a set of tires you dont want to bring back...have the new ones installed there...

new_hobby

Thanks everyone for the tip, specially Jeff with the website and prices.

Greatwhite

Quote from: wandmangels on October 23, 2012, 09:02:05 AM
drive down with a set of tires you dont want to bring back...have the new ones installed there...

Lol - why didn't I think of that?!?!?  GENIUS!!

lucius

I'm not sure how much money you would be saving because chances are you would be staying for a meal and maybe hitting up the surrounding stores and doing more shopping.  I keep hearing that the Wal-Mart in Ogdensburg carries items that aren't in the Ottawa stores and people usually stock up.

exv152

Way worth it. I know lots of people who do this. For some reason the tire suppliers here have not adjusted their prices since the Canadian dollar has gone to par with the US, like many other items. But I see no reason to pay up to 50% more in some cases, when all you need to do is pay for the gas it took to get there (~ $40 tops) btw, fill-up on gas while you're there too it's at about $1 per litre. Even if you paid gas and declared the tires (make sure they're made in the US so you don't pay duty) and even with the HST it's still cheaper.

PS if you look closely you may even notice "made in Canada" marked on your new tires.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Greatwhite

We make a trip down to Syracuse to hit the outlet mall in Waterloo every 6 months or so.  We stay at a hotel for a couple nights, aiming for one with a pool and the kids think it's a great vacation -- we blow about $2000 on clothes for the kids and ourselves, and save about the same because of sales. 

As much as I like to support my local stores, the savings of hopping across the border make it too tempting -- ESPECIALLY with the dollar doing as well as it has been.

Darth

Quote from: lucius on October 23, 2012, 09:29:20 AM
I'm not sure how much money you would be saving because chances are you would be staying for a meal and maybe hitting up the surrounding stores and doing more shopping.  I keep hearing that the Wal-Mart in Ogdensburg carries items that aren't in the Ottawa stores and people usually stock up.

I shop at the walmart in ogdensburg then go across to the price chopper I buy cereal normally around $7 for the fam size here $2.50-$3.50 there boneless chicken breast here anywhere from $4.99 and up per lb down there on sale $1.99 per lb. some stuff is just as cheap if not cheaper here but some other things totally make the trip worth it (like the selection of cheeses at the deli counter )

Nerine

WHY are tires so expensive here?!

I was quoted in town for all season radials - $850 for my van and I went to Montreal told the guy I had cash and I got brand new tires (they said they were used, but they were not used at all) for $350 (and better tires than what I was gonna get from CT!) - I can look the name of the shop up...I just remember it was past the reserve and down an alley haha it looked suspect but there were many beautiful cars in the lot ('vettes etc)

btw - on the sneaking bit - they do take a photo of your car ;) just claim them! easier and no messes in case they decide to pull your photo up!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Peekay

Quote from: Darth on October 23, 2012, 12:13:04 PM
I shop at the walmart in ogdensburg then go across to the price chopper I buy cereal normally around $7 for the fam size here $2.50-$3.50 there boneless chicken breast here anywhere from $4.99 and up per lb down there on sale $1.99 per lb. some stuff is just as cheap if not cheaper here but some other things totally make the trip worth it (like the selection of cheeses at the deli counter )

As long as you're ok with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, and growth hormones in the meat and dairy...  ;)

sas

Quote from: Peekay on October 25, 2012, 08:35:05 AM
As long as you're ok with high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, and growth hormones in the meat and dairy...  ;)

Nice :)

Greatwhite

Quote from: Nerine on October 25, 2012, 08:23:07 AM
WHY are tires so expensive here?!

One reason that winter tires (at least) are so expensive is that they are REQUIRED BY LAW in Quebec (and I think Ontario?)... At least "highly encouraged" in Ontario, and you're rewarded slightly with insurance cuts.  When the law was set in Quebec, prices jumped up.

In New York state, I don't think they're required... And no one would willingly shell out the $$$ for winter tires if they don't NEED them, so the prices are lower to entice people to buy.

All seasons tires...  No idea why they're so expensive.  I seem to remember seeing once that a big portion of tire cost is tax..  Other provinces (and countries) may not tax their tires as much, thereby having a more affordable price for the end customer. (???)

I got a set of summer tires and sexy rims for $1000 for my Tiburon, and they came from Montreal.  They are "Vector" brand or some name I've never heard of, but was told they're made by Cooper Tire (great?)... 

You can keep an eye on Kijiji and get some great tire deals when people get a new car and realize their winter tires don't fit any more.

oh, and in regards to pictures being taken of the car on the way across the border....  They take pictures of the front and back to get the license plates.  They certainly don't zoom in on the tires and would never be able to see that the tires coming back are not the ones that went down.  Put old winter tires on some steel rims, drive down, change them, drive back.... Done. :)  (I should point out that I have never knowingly snuck anything across the border, and am just pointing out that it IS possible - but there's always a risk of getting caught, so don't do anything you're not ready to accept consequences for)

exv152

If you're wondering why the tire price discrepancy between the US and Canadian markets, take a quick look at this article below. I think the tire manufacturer's have a lot to answer for, and not the tire retailers here in Canada. Like many other products with the same problem, I think the higher profits just become too enticing to do anything to fix the problem. That's the problem you have when the guys setting the prices are also the same guys reeping the profits.

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/998627--why-do-tires-cost-so-much-more-in-canada
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

New tires usually have those rubber, prickly spikes that are left on during the manufacturing process.  They probably don't normally look but you never know.

I happen to know that my steel winter rims are cheaper in Ottawa than in the US.  $50 to $75 CDN vs $150 USD each.

76brian

The savings on motorcycle tires is substantial. I've bought 2 sets in the last 2 years on Amazon, and saved at least 40% over what the same tires cost here.

Greatwhite

Quote from: lucius on October 25, 2012, 11:23:05 AM
New tires usually have those rubber, prickly spikes that are left on during the manufacturing process.  They probably don't normally look but you never know.

I happen to know that my steel winter rims are cheaper in Ottawa than in the US.  $50 to $75 CDN vs $150 USD each.

My winter tires are 2 years old and still have little nubby spike things...

Nerine

I hope you're able to find your tires at a good price :D

and interesting article. ahhh prices!!

and my tires have the nubbys on them too!! and my last set of brand new tires didnt have any!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Severum

You can also find tires and rims off the junkers at places like Kenny's U-Pull. I think a tire on a steel wheel is $25 and on a rim is $40.

Not a bad deal for a used tire to get your through the winter.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

OliAM

Ya right used tires....in winter.....looks like the perfect receipe to end un in a wall !

76brian

Quote from: OliAM on November 02, 2012, 11:48:27 AM
Ya right used tires....in winter.....looks like the perfect receipe to end un in a wall !

Well if you don't know enough to pick newer tires with lots of tread, you probably shouldn't be buying used tires :)

OliAM

CAA never recommend using used tires....first how do u pair them....in what position were they initially...second what is their history ? accident ??? bented radial steel frame ?

It's simply not responsible to put second hand tires on a car....specially when comming out from a lot of tires.

Coral beauty

Just order mine 2 days ago, delievered to Ogdensburg the next day. picking it up tomorrow.
Saving of 500$ for the exact tires from Canadiantires.
Very fast shipping I must say, at the end the total with $484 with shipping/ 20$ per week at UPS store for
receiving it for me.

Order Number: XXXXXXX Order Date: 10/30/2012 Via: UPS Ground From: Windsor, CT

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price

4 225/60R-17 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT
Download Warranty Brochure PDF  In Stock $121.00 $484.00
1 Basic Limited Warranty  In Stock N/C N/C
1 Retail Tire Registration Card  In Stock N/C N/C

Note: As a complimentary service to you, the Tire Identification Codes for the tires you purchased will
be automatically registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT). 

Coral beauty

Quote from: Coral beauty on November 02, 2012, 04:51:18 PM
Just order mine 2 days ago, delievered to Ogdensburg the next day. picking it up tomorrow.
Saving of 500$ for the exact tires from Canadiantires.
Very fast shipping I must say, at the end the total with $484 with shipping/ 20$ per week at UPS store for
receiving it for me.

Order Number: XXXXXXX Order Date: 10/30/2012 Via: UPS Ground From: Windsor, CT

Qty
Size and Description
Availability
Price Each
Total Price

4 225/60R-17 Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT
Download Warranty Brochure PDF  In Stock $121.00 $484.00
1 Basic Limited Warranty  In Stock N/C N/C
1 Retail Tire Registration Card  In Stock N/C N/C

Note: As a complimentary service to you, the Tire Identification Codes for the tires you purchased will
be automatically registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT). 

Just got back from a day trip, pick up the tires in the morning. The service at the UPS store was excellent with 7 people in line in front of me 3 were picking up tires. In and out under 10 mins, drove down to Watertown to do a little shopping. Cross back to boarder told the patrol my reason for going claimed ~280 between the wife and I and 480 for the tires. He handed our passport back to us and said have a good night. I suprised thinking I was gonna at least pay for the Eco fee and taxes for the tires. It was well worth it.

Nerine

some used tires were never used at all! :)

I have bought 2 sets of 'used' tires...and one was a set of winter tires that the person didnt need anymore, they had a van, then sold van but had winter tires with it ,so I bought the tires and the 2nd set of "used" were also never used...just purchased and not used (Some people have too much money???)

Malyon18

I always buy used tires, lots of god deals out there if you know what you are doing and what to look for. Bought 2 pretty much brand new winter tires for my cts last year for 40 bucks for the pair. Usually when you are buying used tires you buy them in the pair of 4 at a time which eliminates the matching of tires.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

az

my last trip at that ups store was NOT GOOD, 2 of 3 boxes were cut opened and car parts went missing, ups says they delivered everything intact and the ups store says it came like that(which i doubt). so if you are getting ford mustang parts make sure its sent in a plain box.

I was also once asked to pay more than what total should have been, when i pointed out the mistake from the reaction i got it 'was not an honest mistake he knew what he was doing'.

AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca