New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

House reno... build thread?

Started by Greatwhite, November 15, 2012, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

I was GOING to use the subject "Renovating is worse than everything else combined"... but it's really not that bad.

We've been in this house for 3 1/2 months now... and have already blasted through (or are in the process of blasting through) about $100k of our reno budget.... Which is significantly more than we anticipated.  BUT - that's what happens when you're paying someone else to do the work, right???

I have before and after pictures of most of the reno...

> Moldy old windows are all replaced with nice new white PVC windows...  Except for 5 that were ordered beige by mistake.

> Nasty upstairs carpet is all new...

> 2 of 5 closets (kids rooms) have been updated with nice built-in units from Canadian Tire.. The Easy Track system is FANTASTIC if anyone is looking to update theirs!  I even replaced the 1989-style floor to ceiling sliding closet doors...

> bannister was stripped and painted

> Walk-in closet was gutted and redone by California Closets..

> kitchen is gutted and the nasty old tile was removed and new tile was just put down... Waiting on cabinets to be delivered wednesday.  I have all my new appliances sitting in boxes ---- waiting.....

Greatwhite

staircase...

I still need to paint the walls...  Just waiting on the main floor stuff to be done first. ;)

Greatwhite

master walk-in closet...  i wish I got a before picture.  Basically - it was painted dark brown all around. There were MDF shelves all all 3 walls... and a tiny globe light on the ceiling.  I promise that the woman who lived here did NOT know what she was putting on in the morning with the colors she had in there.

I got a picture after gutting it, and after priming.  That pink carpet was through the master bedroom... YUCK!

Greatwhite

The kitchen is the big job...  No kitchen reno is cheap - but when you start with a kitchen like we did.... EVERYTHING is an improvement.  The drawer faces are not even real -- they are doors, cut in 4 and mounted on a drawer box.

The appliances in here are original from 1989 when the house was built.  All being replaced with new LG stainless stuff.

We're going on 9 days of reno there.  It took 3 full days to bust out all the tile that was there, with 1 day that the kitchen guys took it easy while window guys did the windows in there.

Radiant heat is going to be NICE in the winter.  All the tile we are putting down is heated.  Take THAT mother nature!

Greatwhite

This was a fun find behind the existing cabinets... in 1989, they didn't have the fancy stud finders we have today...?

EVERY stud all around the kitchen has hammer marks & holes on either side.  They were behind the cabinets, so who cares - right??

My contractor has patched all those hammer holes.

Greatwhite

The cabinets were delivered last wednesday and quickly filled up the 12x16 eating area beside the kitchen...

Greatwhite

The contractor came late Thursday afternoon to get a start at unpacking and placing everything.  Friday, he was back all day - and this is where we are now.

Yes, that little area in the "bar" is just the right size to fit a bar fridge that I bought. :)

The counter top guy will be here tomorrow (I think?) to template for quartz we ordered last week.  He has a 10 day turn around after templating.  I think it'll be faster than that. :)

The electrician will be here Tuesday to install the pot lights finally, and turn on the circuits for the oven, cook top, microwave....  Can't wait!!!

Stussi613

I need to make sure my wife doesn't see this, she's been pestering me about changing our beech colored cabinets to white for months...

Lookin really good!
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 25, 2012, 11:20:47 PM
I need to make sure my wife doesn't see this, she's been pestering me about changing our beech colored cabinets to white for months...

Lookin really good!

I honestly did NOT like the idea of white cabinets at the start...  I am a wood fan, and when you take MAPLE and have it painted white -- a part of me dies.  But, the wife was trying to push me into "dark uppers and white lower cabinets" and that would have killed me.  I told her to pick one, and hoped for dark wood finish.  She chose white.

So then we made sure that the floor and walls would be enough of a contrast without being too hard on the eyes.  Really, most of the visible wall in the kitchen itself will be tiled backsplash, but the color had to work in the breakfast nook (and then down the hall to the front door).  Grey it is...  In some light it has a green tint - almost a sage green.  In other light it appears beige.

Once the cabinets went up, everything came together and now I am a big fan of white cabinets.  Yes - it's maple, painted white...  The difference between that option and "therma foil" (shrink wrapped MDF) was pretty small in the grand scheme of things, and I found the MDF stuff ugly.

So far the $$$ tally on this reno, including all new LG appliances, quartz counter tops, completely new lights throughout, tile from the front door through a laundry room, powder room, breakfast nook & kitchen (about 700 sq feet) -- the cost of the contractor doing the reno, and paying the kitchen designer has us around $75k.  Fortunately we budgeted for this expense before even buying the house - and had the bank's blessing on adding the reno to the mortgage or it would not be happening. :)  (also had a $26k window job, and $12k upstairs carpet job since moving in... YIKES!)

Don't start a complete kitchen overhaul without expecting to shell out the dough... Much like starting a salty aquarium!

Stussi613

I hear you, I love the way they look, I just don't love the idea of ripping 7 year old cabinets out to replace with white...nor do I love the idea of paying someone to paint the aforementioned cabinets white when we're going to sell the townhouse in 5-7 years anyway!
I haz reef tanks.

sas

:) Oh the joys of home ownership.
House is looking very nice.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on November 26, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
I hear you, I love the way they look, I just don't love the idea of ripping 7 year old cabinets out to replace with white...nor do I love the idea of paying someone to paint the aforementioned cabinets white when we're going to sell the townhouse in 5-7 years anyway!

:) I felt no remorse when the 23 year old cheaper than cheap "oak" cabinets were removed here...  The drawers were not even proper drawer fronts -- they were doors cut into 4 pieces and then attached to the drawer box.  I swear the people who had this house built initially looked for ANY opportunity to DOWNGRADE items with the builder.

In our last house, the cabinets were nice oak - but they were "honey" colored and we didn't like them so much.  The wife stripped them down as much as possible and then used Polyshades tinted varathane on them to darken them to a nice cherry finish. 

Painting white would be much easier, if you use the right primer.  There's a type of primer that will grip onto ANYTHING, and let you go from a previously oil based paint to a latex.  Then a nice Sherwin Williams "Emerald" paint leaves a very nice finish.

I think the primer is.. umm... Zinsser B-I-N primer.  It's a little pricey @ $60 a gallon at Home Depot, but a little goes a long way.

Fishnut

I love renos!!  This thread is great!  The kitchen is going to be amazing! You'll like the white.  It'll look nice when everything comes together.  What colour counter top and back-splash are you going with? Looking forward to the final "after" pic.  The stairs look good too.  Is the dark wood part stained?  

We bought a fixer-upper and are slowly but surely fixing it up.  Last year was outside...improve lawns, make back yard gardens, fix up deck and new front windows!  Although we were not able to get the pond started/finished like I wanted...pond guy was too busy.  This year is the year of the basement...lol.  Hubby and his buddies gutted it right down to the concrete a few years ago.  It was gross.  They obliterated the stinky bathroom and all the other crap the old owners used to finish it.  Then they re-framed the walls for the new lay-out that we want and insulated.  Now we need to put in a new bathroom and finish the rec room, which we will be hiring someone to do.  We have plans for a big TV in the basement for watching movies plus LOTS of space for the kids to play.  I even got a place for my 180 famed into the wall of the rec room so when it's all finished it will look like it's built into the wall!!

Eventually we'll be re-vamping the main floor and putting on an addition to the back of the house.  That's going to be mega bucks.  :(  Walls are being re-insulated, new floors, new bathroom, new and larger kitchen, new patio door, adding a 4th bedroom, etc.  I'm going to have to put up with my ugly kitchen, parquet floors and bathroom for a while before we save enough for that.  Unless of course I suddenly find myself lots of clients with higher than average priced houses to sell and HUGE house hunting budgets  :P  

Here's my reno tip for people who plan on selling...kitchens and bathrooms sell houses!  For some reason those are the rooms that people like renovating the least.  Makes sense I guess because they're more complex than any other room and the reno is a huge inconvenience!  Buyers these days are also not like our friend who started this thread.  Most are not willing to do any work and have a very annoying lack of imagination or any idea of what renos can cost.  So, if you're planning on selling, get these key areas renovated if your budget allows for it.  If the work is done well with nice and fairly neutral finishes, you'll get your money back from the sale.  If you want colour in your reno, make sure that colour is in something that is easy for a new home owner to change...like paint...not tiles or counter tops.

exv152

Agreed, very interesting thread. I can't get over the hammer holes in the drywall behind the cabinets.  Hope the new cabinets weren't installed with that same "finess".
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Greatwhite

Quote from: exv152 on November 26, 2012, 12:11:47 PM
Agreed, very interesting thread. I can't get over the hammer holes in the drywall behind the cabinets.  Hope the new cabinets weren't installed with that same "finess".

Naw.. My guy patched up those holes, and then we joked about it for a week... When he went to put the new cabinets in, it seemed that he just "knew" where the studs were.  That wall I took the picture of has 24" centered studs, and it look a couple tiny drill holes "out of the way" to locate the first one.

Greatwhite

The new counter top is going to be Hanstone Quartz... "Blackburn" is the name of the color...

it'll look great with the nice grey (heated) tile... Sage greeny grey walls.... and some kind of curtains with a little PUNCH IN THE FACE of color. :)

We haven't decided on a backsplash yet...

sylros

Awesome topic, as I am also in the midst of doing my kitchen. A total gut and here too, the builder used lower than the lowest of products as everything was done with whatever he had on hand...if he had nails he  used them so the floors squeak, the walls are popping in some places. The cabinets were whatever was left over from someplace and made to fit, some parts installed on the carpet.

Before posting photos here, I am going to wait until you're done as I am not quite there yet anyway...it will be before Xmas that's for sure!

It ended up costing us less but that is partly because we did the demolition ourselves...managed to gross me out as we found a mouse next complete with chicken bones, dead bugs and droppings galore. We prepped the area, including the flooring...refinished the flooring around the kitchen, painted, and are in the middle of installing the backsplash. Glass tiles not that easy to install and I've done a few tiling jobs before.

I do have before and after pics...but later after your done. We also went with quartz. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Greatwhite

Quote from: sylros on November 26, 2012, 02:43:39 PM
Awesome topic, as I am also in the midst of doing my kitchen. A total gut and here too, the builder used lower than the lowest of products as everything was done with whatever he had on hand...if he had nails he  used them so the floors squeak, the walls are popping in some places. The cabinets were whatever was left over from someplace and made to fit, some parts installed on the carpet.

Before posting photos here, I am going to wait until you're done as I am not quite there yet anyway...it will be before Xmas that's for sure!

It ended up costing us less but that is partly because we did the demolition ourselves...managed to gross me out as we found a mouse next complete with chicken bones, dead bugs and droppings galore. We prepped the area, including the flooring...refinished the flooring around the kitchen, painted, and are in the middle of installing the backsplash. Glass tiles not that easy to install and I've done a few tiling jobs before.

I do have before and after pics...but later after your done. We also went with quartz. Can't wait to see your finished product!

My contractor laughed at me for doing some "other work" down the hall away from the kitchen...  We shaved the stipple off the breakfast nook area's ceiling because it looked silly.  Fortunately it was not painted - ever, so it came off easy.  But I busted out a bit of a wall & narrow entry between the hall and eating area, so I had to continue with the ceiling the rest of the way to the front door. :)

ANYWAYS, my guy said that when his dad worked with him, his dad would do the quotes.  People would get their estimate of $10,000 for demo to completion.  When people started asking "how much would it cost if I did *this part of the work*?", the answer was usually $12,000... :)  I'm sure it was usually semi-serious, but I suspect that some "less handy" home owners just cause more work to be generated by trying to prep themselves.

I would have done some of the demo if I wasn't so busy with work myself...  Demo is fun, if you can overlook everything behind whatever it is you're busting out.

Oh - and our subfloor was screwed down with drywall screws...  Better than nails, barely. :)

Greatwhite

Quote from: Fishnut on November 26, 2012, 11:40:14 AM
The stairs look good too.  Is the dark wood part stained?  

Sorry - missed answering this earlier..

It's latex paint (unfortunately)... 23 year old oak doesn't take the stain very well.  The painter I had stripped one section of the hand rail and then went to test the stain (the brand HE recommended) and said that it was not going to be as dark as we want.  So I told him that the best stuff to use is the polyshades tinted varathane... He disagreed, and 'highly recommended' using paint to get it as dark as we wanted.

I really should have stuck to my idea, because the end result is a plastic-looking hand rail with what appears to be fake, embossed wood grain. :(

I have some acrylic urethane that is intended to go over latex paint.  Once we've painted the walls (and touched up spots on the hand rail), I'm going to give it a couple clear coats to get the nice sheen.  I'm sure it'll be OK after that.

Nerine

yay for renos :D It is looking great!!! :)

We're also going to be doing our kitchen! We finished up a lot of other areas in our house, and it's on to the kitchen...the oak is in good condition, but the kitchen just doesn't fit our lifestyle!!! So we're gonna sell EVERYTHING in it (except appliances) and use the $$ to go towards our new kitchen :) Your kitchen renos have me excited to get a move on with ours!!!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts