New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

In-Door Ponds

Started by bergenm, September 11, 2009, 09:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bergenm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever built an in-door pond for over-wintering their pond fish?

I'm moving into a new house in a few weeks and I don't think my 250G pre-formed will fit down the stairs. Apart from cutting a hole in the kitchen floor and dropping it down to the basement, I don't think it will go into the basement. I need to start looking at other options...

I will probably resort to stacked mini-railroad ties with a liner, but I was wondering if anyone had tried any other designs - It needs to be a minimum of 250G.

Thanks.

M.
Michael

Brine

If you own the house you could pour a concrete pond foundation in a corner of the basement any size that would fit really. You could also try something like this. I found it on MonsterFishkeepers.com

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hookup

that is 10lbs of awesome in a 5lb bag... I love it...  ;D ;D

Rybren

I used to over-winter my pond fish in a 200+Gal plastic tank in my basement.  I found the tank at a plastic mfg company in Cornwall (I believe that they've since gone out of buisness).  You can also build a wooden tank out of 2x4s and plywood, then line it.

or you can do what I ended up doing after a couple of winters....

Leave the fish in the pond and keep a pump running with the output directed at the surface.  The circulation will keep the pond from freezing solid and for most of the winter, will keep a hole open in the ice for gas exchange.  On those rare days when the hole does freeze over, a pot of hot water will open it up again.  The fish will be in an almost state of suspended animation and won't require much room.  I never lost a fish using this method.
120G Reef

asmackay

Hi Rybren

What size pump do you use. 
220G African planted
75G High Tech planted inprogress
550G Pond with Waterfall
3000G Pond in progress
Hobbies, video's http://www.youtube.com/user/newday3000

Rybren

I used a 1300 gph pump, just because I had it.  A smaller pump probably would have work as well.
120G Reef

Fishnut

Google Rubbermaid Stock Tanks.  I have a 150 gallon on my porch that house my koi and goldfish (they're still kindof small) and it housed them last winter as well.  I emptied the whole pond, carried the tub into the garage...through the small door at the side, not the one the car goes through because it's right next to the patio.  It fit, just barely, turned on it's side.  There is a 300 gallon tub available as well that I believe is the same height, so it should also fit through household doorways.  Ritchee Feed and Seed has them.  Not always in stock, but they carry them.

Even though the pond was in the garage, the air stone I used didn't keep the pond from freezing over with 2 inches of ice and we lost a koi, so I caved and bought a floating pond heater.  That might be a good idea if you want to keep your koi outside for the winter.

Personally, the humidity would have been too high keeping that much water in the basement, which is why we put them in the garage.  Atleast they were out of the elements.

Kenny P

Is this tank for looks or is it purely functional? Can we use a plastic rainbarrel?
KennyP
I Rock..so please be nice!!

65G saltwater
15G "No Tech" cold water planted
2g Beta bowl
18x18x18 cube 3 Dendrobate Auratus
18x18x22 cube 2 Dendrobate Leucomela

RossW

Quote from: Fishnut on September 12, 2009, 09:16:23 PM
Personally, the humidity would have been too high keeping that much water in the basement, which is why we put them in the garage.  Atleast they were out of the elements.

What if you bought a piece of plexiglass/acrylic to go over it?  You would not have to heat it, and I suspect your evap would be close to zero.

bergenm

When not outside, I keep them in a 250G pre-formed pond (I also have a 60G tub to over-winter pond plants and a 40G tub for my lotus). I run a large humidifier when they are in the house to keep humidity in check.

The 250G pond is 6'x4'x2'; it will go down a straight set of stairs, but my new house has a 90 degree turn half way down so I doubt it will go down. I will probably have to build something out of railroad ties or plywood & 2x4's. I had considered going with an inflatable, but with two frisky kitties in the house - I think that might end badly... I work right beside Ritchie's so I will check on their tubs as well.

I might also try something with cinder blocks like this one, only smaller...

http://www.tjtdesign.com/Pond/index.htm

Thanks for the suggestions.
Michael