New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Boesemani rainbow breeding note

Started by Jody, April 16, 2018, 12:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jody

Hi All,

So I thought I would share something that I came across by accident in the last week or so.
I have a pair of boesemani rainbows that I put into a 20 gallon tank for breeding purposes. I pulled out 2 spawning mops with eggs in them, and replaced them with a couple of more.
Well, after that, I got busy with things and didn't look too closely at the tank, and knowing I had 2 mops of fry, wasn't worried about collecting more at this point. I went to feed the tank, and found well over a hundred fry swimming around with the adults. I have left them in the tank for the last week, and they are doing fine with the parents totally ignoring them.
I was actually fairly surprised that the adults don't seem to bother them, as most egg scatterers typically do.

Jody

limmer

Awesome.  This must be quite a site.

Amsterdom

I think it might take another week or so before they start eating them. My Bosemani fry were almost microscopic when they first hatched. Not substantial enough to get chased.

Good luck!
130g Jardini Arowana
120g Rainbowfish, Tetra, Gourami, Angelfish (Planted CO2)
120g Angelfish, Denison Barbs, Diamond Neon Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Rainbow Sharks (Planted)
120g Mixed African Cichlids
75g Electric Blue Acara, Green Texas Cichlid, Tinfoil Barb, Snow King Pleco
75g Red Devil Cichlid
55g Angelfish, Live Bearers (Planted)
55g Discus
55g Figure Eight Puffer (Brackish)
29g Quarantine System (Planted)
10g Crowntail Betta, Diamond Neon Tetras (Planted)