New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

February is Photography Month!

Started by Fishnut, February 08, 2012, 02:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

February 27th, 7:00pm at J.A. Dulude Arena

February's OVAS meeting is centered around photography.  Ron (rockgarden) is doing a brief talk about photography, followed by some practice time.  We'll have different stations set up around the room so that people can practice taking photos in different types of scenarios while Ron is walking around offering advice and answering questions.  Some stations will have something stationary, some will have an under water subject and some will have moving subjects!

Since we want everyone to have as much practice time as possible, there will not be any show and tell this month.  Our club announcements are also going to be as short and sweet as we can make them.  Wayne will also have the snacks available for everyone to grab as they socialize and practice their photography skills while Ron is available to answer questions or offer advice.

This is a BYOC event...bring your own camera.  It doesn't matter if it's an inexpensive point and shoot camera or an SLR camera.  Bring whatever you have and learn some great tips..even if you're an experienced photographer, here's your opportunity to share your knowledge.  If you don't have a camera, please feel free to come watch and learn.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please PM me!

bizfromqc

Will there be a mini-auction as well or will that be skipped?

Nerine

No Mini Auction due to the Giant Auction on March 4th!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bizfromqc

There can never be too many auctions  ;)

Hookup

Blackstitch

How will this work, in other words, what will be the general things that will be shot? Let me know, because my dad would also be interested in coming out as well seeing as to his hobby is photography.

Erin

rockgarden

The tech part of the presentation will be similar to what I presented to OVAS in 2008 since tech info doesn't change a whole lot. I've compressed that part of the presentation down to about 20 minutes which will leave lots of time for discussion and hands-on experimentation. At the moment, for those who just want to watch pretty pictures, slide-show fashion, I'm also thinking of putting together a Power Point slide show of images from various public aquariums,etc. which can be running unattended while the hands-on folks are doing their thing. I try not to let anyone go  to sleep at my presentations  :) 8)

"http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/2883310500/" </a>

View the big picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/2883310500/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Ron
www.megapixeltravel.com

Darth

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Darth

Cool thanks I may try and attend this one I could sure use a crash course on how to use my camera lol

rockgarden

My son, Graeme, has told me that he thinks that he will be available to come out and give me a hand with the hand-on part of the program.  He is much better than I am at figuring what does what in the world of P&S cameras. 

I was trying a few things out today when a big snail came cruising across the glass. This is what he/she/it looked like up close.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjhayphotography/6913094675/in/photostream

Ron

robt18

Hey everyone,

Don't forget that tonight is our photography meeting! Hope to see you all there at JA Dulude arena at 7pm, bring your camera! There'll be lots of tips and hands-on demos about how to take pictures of your fishy friends!

fischkopp

A few impression from last night.

Shooting these fish.
Photo taken through the aquarium. No flash.

Getting close to the subject.
Flash.

Danios are tricky subjects.
Flash. 90mm 1/200 F/8. Iso 160.
Head-on flash isn't great, producing lots of reflections on either the glass or in this case the fish.

Danios are tricky subjects II.
Same settings.
Good example how depth of field becomes a problem if you get close. F/8 is not enough to produce a sharp picture of the fish.

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bizfromqc

Thanks to all for putting up another really nice presentation.

Photography tips and tricks were great, now get those cameras out of the "auto" mode people :)

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 28, 2012, 08:12:39 AM
Thanks to all for putting up another really nice presentation.Photography tips and tricks were great, now get those cameras out of the "auto" mode people :)
Ditto, learned some new tricks, enjoyed talking to Grahame & Ron on specfic issues that plague me & last but not least the chance to chat with various members .
Errol

bizfromqc

Quote from: charlie on February 28, 2012, 09:07:30 AM
Ditto, learned some new tricks, enjoyed talking to Grahame & Ron on specfic issues that plague me & last but not least the chance to chat with various members .
Errol

Errol, this is what I was talking about yesterday when you asked a question about over/under exposure in the same shot:

HDR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Eric

rockgarden

Thanks for posting the HDR link.  I've seen lots of examples of it's use - some good, some not so good and some pretty amazing. It's integrated into the iPhone now as an option to basic photo taking.

Ron

charlie

Quote from: bizfromqc on February 28, 2012, 09:14:49 AM
Errol, this is what I was talking about yesterday when you asked a question about over/under exposure in the same shot:

HDR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Eric
Good stuff Eric , thanks for posting the link.
Errol