New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

When Can I Add Fish?

Started by neon, May 07, 2008, 07:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I set up my small pond about 2-3 weeks ago.  The temp in the morning is in the low 50's, but it warms up during the day. Is it still too early to add my 2 shubunkins?

littlelil

i was reading up about your shubunkins and the websites say that they enjoy the really low temperatures, which is why they're perfect for ponds and overwintering them outside. I would think any time is fine for you to put them back in your pond..

KLKelly

Can shubs handle big temperature swings if they didn't spend the winter outside?  I have no idea.

Maybe check on some pond websites?

CrazyFish

I put my goldfish outside already and they were happily swimming around after their reintroduction.  Just place them in a bucket and mix your pond and aquarium water to help them adjust.   Then introduce more pond water while floating your bucket.

It's been a weird year for my pond though.  Normally it takes a bit before the lily's send out their pads and I've already had an algae bloom.  I could have introduced the goldfish earlier when we had that warm streak but I was cleaning up my pond instead.
90G Planted tank
65G Large Goldfish/Koi
48G Smaller Goldfish.
20G South American tank
10 Gallon Goldfish growout

The Pond Boy

Hi,

The best way to let your fish survive the change of water temperature is to do them is a bag with some air. The same way when you buy the fish. Let them float for 1-2 hours abd release them. Fish don't like a big change of water temperature. Special from warm to cold.
Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com