New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

tanks update

Started by charlie, August 22, 2009, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

This summer both of my planted tanks really suffered from lack of maintenance due to several factors, as a result i lost a few plants & is still battling some nagging algae issues,but the tanks are on the upswing.
Many thanks to the members who kindly donated some plants to help replenish the ones i lost, there are still a couple more i want to replace.
Here are a couple of pics of  the tanks as they are now .

[attachment deleted by admin]

sdivell

The Tanks still look amazing Charlie.  The 59g looks like an under water jungle.

Awesome  :D

cichlidicted

exv152

Nice tanks, what kind of filters are you running on the 75 gal?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

It's hard to tell that there are any plants missing. Your tanks are as amazing as we always knew them!  ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Thanks all  ;),exv152 the filters are 1 - Eheim pro 11 2026 & 1 - Eheim classic 2215
more details of the tanks can be found in this thread
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=32616.0

RoxyDog

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Zigot

I don't see anything missing?.. lol
They look amazing!

jart

charlie

A month later , i have moved some plants , taken out some & added a piece of driftwood in the 75 gln.

Jeff1192

Wow....looks great....where did you find that piece of driftwood?

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

pminister

sweet setup, which plants are those to the lower left in clumps of 4-5 ? i think those were the ones from the tropica order you did a while back....

fischkopp

Hehe, that piece of wood really makes a big difference. Good pick! :)
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

Thanks guy`s.will update when the plants grow in some.

pminister - the plant is Lobelia cardinalis, it did not come from the Tropica order.

Yeah i was never one for too much driftwood,but i think i`m now a convert  ;)
Jeff i got it from Big Al`s East
Regards

Consigliere

Awesome looking tank Charlie.  Love the driftwood/dutch style combo.  That's a nice centrepiece of wood.

charlie

Quote from: Consigliere on September 30, 2009, 02:05:51 AM
Awesome looking tank Charlie.  Love the driftwood/dutch style combo.  That's a nice centrepiece of wood.
Thanks,
The truth is i don`t really dwell into any specific aquascaping guidelines, i`m more of a what can i fit in that spot  ;D
Regards

OttawaFolkFestivum

Sweet Errol! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Cheers, Steve

jart

What type of gouramis are those? Do you recommend them?

charlie

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on September 30, 2009, 09:32:41 PM
Sweet Errol! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Thanks
Quote from: jart on September 30, 2009, 10:28:15 PM
What type of gouramis are those? Do you recommend them?
J R they are Pearl gouramis, i would absolutely recommend them  ;)
Regards

charlie

The 59 gln as of today, the tank is really rebounding nicely.

jart

Quote from: charlie on October 01, 2009, 08:20:14 AM
Thanks  J R they are Pearl gouramis, i would absolutely recommend them  ;)
Regards

I picked up a couple a few days ago. I really like them. Went back today to get some more but they were sold out.
They are still a bit timid but hopefully that won't last for long.

Hookup

Quote from: charlie on October 07, 2009, 08:58:11 PM
The 59 gln as of today, the tank is really rebounding nicely.
Really nice looking.

Contains Moose

When stuff gets overgrown do you pull them out or do you cut back somehow?

charlie

Thanks Hookup
QuoteWhen stuff gets overgrown do you pull them out or do you cut back somehow?
Yes thinning out via pulling out or trimming is necessary.\
Regards

Cheebs

These tanks look outstanding charlie, great job!

charlie

Quote from: Cheebs on November 12, 2009, 12:32:40 PM
Thanks Phil

FocusFin

Quote from: Cheebs on November 12, 2009, 12:32:40 PM

The pictures never do justice, the first time I saw your tanks I was blown away and immediately went out and bought a Co2 system. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared for the weekly upkeep and then ironically sold the CO2 to you. I remember thinking as I was cutting the grass in my tank, "I just finished cutting my lawn and here I am mowing my tank"  ::)

See them in person if you have the chance.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

charlie

Finally got around to taking a picture of my 20 Gallon long which i totally re worked a few days ago , now to wait for the HC to hopefully grow in.

smalltownfan

Very nice Erroll, one of these days I'll be able to spend more time with the tanks and hopefully get them looking as good as yours.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Toss

I can see the pogostemon looks nicer in your tank already than in mine ;)
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS

Jeff1192

Quote from: Toss on January 18, 2010, 06:18:29 PM
I can see the pogostemon looks nicer in your tank already than in mine ;)

Yeah looks better than in mine too!.....that better not be the pogostemon I gave you looking that much better already!  ;D

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Thanks Guys, The P.Helferi in this tank  ;)is  the ones from Toss

cichlidicted

love the setup, specially the short plant to the left.... for some reason ground plants never kicked off in my tank, Keep the pictures coming..

have a good one

Jeff1192

Quote from: charlie on January 21, 2010, 04:59:23 PM
Thanks Guys, The P.Helferi in this tank  ;)is  the ones from Toss

Ok I don't feel so bad now!   ;D

- George Orwell

Adam

Errol, they look beautiful
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

charlie

Thanks for all your kind comments .

mkowals2

Your tanks look fantastic! What is HC btw?

-Mike

charlie

Quote from: mkowals2 on February 02, 2010, 04:09:58 PM
Your tanks look fantastic! What is HC btw?

-Mike
Thanks Mike, HC- Hemianthus callitrichoides "cuba" is one of the smallest aquarium plants in the world.

cichlidicted

hello charlie

I thinking of tying HC to a driftwood, and am wondering if you've tried it before ? any tips ?

thanks in advance

charlie

Quote from: cichlidicted on February 08, 2010, 03:10:36 AM
hello charlie

I thinking of tying HC to a driftwood, and am wondering if you've tried it before ? any tips ?

thanks in advance
Sorry , i thought i replied  :-[
I have never tried it , but i think i have seen it done with great effect by Fischkopp.I don`t think his was tied though? maybe he will let you in on the secret.  ;)

fischkopp

I actually never tried that. I don't think HC will do very well tied to something, because it likes to root into a nutrient rich substrate. When HC carpets on the ground it won't stop for a little piece of wood though. You can see it trying to climb up on it. It maybe even roots if the wood is old and soft.
my fish suck

crazy 4 fish

All I have to say is ... Errol you are truly talented when it comes to aquatic plants. Absolutely amazing looking tanks. Thanks for posting :)

charlie

Quote from: crazy 4 fish on March 04, 2010, 11:56:48 PM
All I have to say is ... Errol you are truly talented when it comes to aquatic plants. Absolutely amazing looking tanks. Thanks for posting :)
WOW  ;), thanks for the glowing comment.

charlie

Here is a updated shot of my Hagen Euro 59 Gallon
The tank has rebounded nicely & still progressing.
Lights -3 x 54 Watts T5 HO ( Hagen Glo fixtures)
Filter -2X Eheim Pro 11 2026       Heater - Stealth Pro 150 watt
Substrate - eco - complete      CO2 - Pressurized   system   Fertilizers - as per EI method
  Live Stock- harlequin rasbora , sterbai cories,  Cherry Shrimp,Amano shrimp, Kulhi Loaches, Otto Cats, BN pleco
Plants -Proserpinaca palustris "Cuba",Dwarf Lobelia cardinalis,Hemianthus callitrichoides " cuba",Anubias barteri v. 'nana',Bacopa monnieri,Cryptocoryne wendtii,Didiplis diandra,Echinodorus parviflorus 'Tropica',Ludwigia inclinata, Rotala macrandra,Rotala Vietnam, Baby Tears, Lysimachia nummularia / Creeping Jenny,P. Helferi.

White Lightning

One word.....WOW!

I don't think I have ever read a post in the plant forums until now. I saw a pic of this tank about a week ago when I was on the homepage and it displayed as a random image. I clicked onto it and was blown away. VERY nice looking tanks charlie! In all honesty, probably one of the best tank pictures I have ever seen!

WOW!

charlie

Thanks for the glowing comments Randy ;), i have seen some awesome planted tanks in our community, it`s just that the guys don`t post  ;).

karjean

Beautiful tank, keep on updating the upgrades they look really good.

jart

Are you still keeping the Rotala 'Vietnam' in the 59 Charlie? I guess that's your high light tank, right? I'm wondering how it will do under lower light. I'm just running 2 x55 w AH supply PC over my 72.

Brent Shaver

Tank looks great Charlie.

Keep up the great work

charlie

Quote from: jart on July 14, 2010, 09:33:55 PM
Are you still keeping the Rotala 'Vietnam' in the 59 Charlie? I guess that's your high light tank, right? I'm wondering how it will do under lower light. I'm just running 2 x55 w AH supply PC over my 72.
Hi jart, i`m still growing it in my 59, the tank is currently light by 2 x54 watts T5 HO for 9 hrs & 1 x54 comes in for a 2 hrs burst.
I think it should do alright in your 72, just make sure it is not blocked by other plants.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/125-Rotala_Vietnam_Rotala_sp_Vietnam.html
Regards

charlie

Quote from: Brent Shaver on July 14, 2010, 09:43:40 PM
Tank looks great Charlie.

Keep up the great work
Thanks Brent.
Regards

karjean

Looks really great Charlie, it is nice to see other tanks.