New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY root tab

Started by Peekay, February 05, 2012, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

I was looking into root tabs, as any thrifty girl would before plunking down her (husband's) hard earned money, and came across this thread.

Apart from sniping at each other and somehow dragging the BP oil spill into it, there's a DIY solution that I'm going to try. 

Osmocote time release fertilizer in ice cubes.  In Canada, it's sold as Miracle Gro Shake 'n Feed 19-6-12, for about $7/lb.   (available at Home Depot)

Posting it for anyone else who is in the market for root tabs to investigate. 

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7328-Root-Tabs-Are-they-worth-using-and-which-ones-are-the-best

DaWolfe

Quote from: Peekay on February 05, 2012, 10:00:20 AM
I was looking into root tabs, as any thrifty girl would before plunking down her (husband's) hard earned money, and came across this thread.

Apart from sniping at each other and somehow dragging the BP oil spill into it, there's a DIY solution that I'm going to try. 

Osmocote time release fertilizer in ice cubes.  In Canada, it's sold as Miracle Gro Shake 'n Feed 19-6-12, for about $7/lb.   (available at Home Depot)

Posting it for anyone else who is in the market for root tabs to investigate. 

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7328-Root-Tabs-Are-they-worth-using-and-which-ones-are-the-best

Wow that is one heck of a post www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7328-Root-Tabs-Are-they-worth-using-and-which-ones-are-the-best]http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7328-Root-Tabs-Are-they-worth-using-and-which-ones-are-the-best

Let us know how it goes, i would be very interested to follow the same avenue if you see it works out.

Thanks.

pm

I have used Smartcote slow release ferts (similar to osmocote, but not the same ratio of macros).  I froze them with a little water in an old ice cube tray, and inserted them under root feeders.

Worked fine for me, no issues that I am aware of.

Peekay

That's reassuring Peter, because I just did it too!

They say 3/4 tsp for a 6 inch pot, so I did a 1/4 tsp in each cube because I wanted to be able to put them under each plant... some only a couple inches apart.

sylros

Hi, I was wondering how it's going with the DIY root tabs. My tank is suffering from nutrient difficiency and I can't seem to keep up with the root tabs although I just bought a bunch from MOPS - $3-4 less...In getting ready for outside gardening, I got the Miracle-Gro slow release fert...without knowing that I could use it for my tank.

But because the macro quantities are different, I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

It would be nice to know if things are working out.

Thanks,
Sylros

touchofsky

I bought diy Osmocote capsules from a seller on The Planted Tank forum.  I have had good luck with them.  I use a variety of root tabs, including Flourish, API, Jobes (fern and palms) and the Osmocote capsules.  I have found that my Amazon swords have done well with API tabs. 

exv152

Back in the day, and I'm not recommending it, but when root tabs had yet to be invented for the planted tank hobby, hobbyists with gerbils or hamsters would use the droppings and push them into the substrate near the plant's roots. Personally I use the seachem tabs, seem to work pretty well for my swords. I'd like to get my hands on some tropica capsules, have yet to try these.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sylros

Quote from: touchofsky on March 24, 2012, 11:13:27 AM
I bought diy Osmocote capsules from a seller on The Planted Tank forum.  I have had good luck with them.  I use a variety of root tabs, including Flourish, API, Jobes (fern and palms) and the Osmocote capsules.  I have found that my Amazon swords have done well with API tabs. 

What a coincidence, for the first time, I used them when replanting my amazon swords. I had read that the API tabs were better than the Flourish ones but I think that they also need to be replaced more often.

touchofsky

Yes, they do need to be replaced more often, but I sure found that my swords grew better with them, over the others I mentioned.  Just my observation  :)

exv152

I'm gonna now give API a try, thanks for the tip.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Peekay

Well, I have a low tech tank, so things change slowly.  But, I can say for sure that my swords
are sending out leaves that are twice as long as they were before putting in the tabs.  My crypts also have plentiful baby leaves.  Vals are spreading but still short. 

I have algae, but the tabs are not suspect.  ;)

Quote from: sylros on March 24, 2012, 09:57:50 AM
Hi, I was wondering how it's going with the DIY root tabs. My tank is suffering from nutrient difficiency and I can't seem to keep up with the root tabs although I just bought a bunch from MOPS - $3-4 less...In getting ready for outside gardening, I got the Miracle-Gro slow release fert...without knowing that I could use it for my tank.

But because the macro quantities are different, I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

It would be nice to know if things are working out.

Thanks,
Sylros

bizfromqc

Quote from: exv152 on March 28, 2012, 04:06:35 PM
I'm gonna now give API a try, thanks for the tip.

I personally use the API tabs just because they have more iron but they don't seem to last a very long time. I have a SA setup with mainly swords so I use plenty of tabs, about a pack of 10 a month.

I may give this DIY tabs a try and see how it goes...

touchofsky

Have you looked at MOPS (Mail Order Pet Supplies) for the price on the API tabs?
Also, what type of DIY tabs are you going to try?

bizfromqc

Quote from: touchofsky on March 29, 2012, 09:22:34 AM
Have you looked at MOPS (Mail Order Pet Supplies) for the price on the API tabs?
Also, what type of DIY tabs are you going to try?

Yep, I buy the root tabs at MOPS, most of my stuff if not bought locally I get from MOPS.
I've got a couple of pages bookmarked for the DIY tabs, not sure which ones yet as I need to do a bit more research...

touchofsky

Please keep us posted on what you try and how it works out  :)

charlie

From my research the mentioned commercial root tabs API & Seachem compliments each other, the opinions of some is that the Seachem is lacking in NPK with an ample supply of Calcium while the API is better in NPK but needs more frequent application, i don`t know this as factual just what i read.
I`m also looking to go the DIY route & presently leaning to the Smartcote with miconutrients still debating which of the 2 available formulations with micros i`ll go with,  i think one is 14-14-14 & the other is 20-10-7 both with micros & calcium, if anyone wants to be the sacrificial lamb with me & split a bottle LMK can probably split a bottle with several persons.I`m still researching which of the 2 would serve me better as of now i`m leaning towards 14-14-14
Errol

exv152

Wondering if anyone has every tried to import root tabs from the US, apparently this supplier is really reputable and some aquarists prefer it over all the other commercially available tabs...wonder also if the costs of shipping, duty, taxes etc would be worth it...
???

http://rootmedic.net/
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 29, 2012, 12:03:32 PM
Wondering if anyone has every tried to import root tabs from the US, apparently this supplier is really reputable and some aquarists prefer it over all the other commercially available tabs...wonder also if the costs of shipping, duty, taxes etc would be worth it...
???

http://rootmedic.net/
I almost pulled the plug on it last week, but decided to try  the DIY after researching it, it`s for all intent & purpose the same as the Smartcote 14-14-14 with the convenience of pre pkg in a capsule.
Errol

pm

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2012, 11:33:08 AM
...if anyone wants to be the sacrificial lamb with me & split a bottle LMK can probably split a bottle with several persons.I`m still researching which of the 2 would serve me better as of now i`m leaning towards 14-14-14
Errol

Errol, I have a bottle of the 14-14-14 Smartcote, you are welcome to have some next time I see you.  It works for me.

touchofsky

I imported some root tabs from the U.S., which were basically Osmocote+ in gel caps.  I wasn't charged any duties, taxes etc. and they arrived just fine by regular mail.  I paid something like $14.00 for them.

charlie

Quote from: pm on March 29, 2012, 12:21:59 PM
Errol, I have a bottle of the 14-14-14 Smartcote, you are welcome to have some next time I see you.  It works for me.
Thanls Peter, is it the one with Micro nutrients?

exv152

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2012, 12:08:38 PM
I almost pulled the plug on it last week, but decided to try  the DIY after researching it, it`s for all intent & purpose the same as the Smartcote 14-14-14 with the convenience of pre pkg in a capsule.
Errol

Thanks Errol, Smartcote eh? I just googled the image of the product and I'm almost certain I have that stuff at home for hanging baskets...Is this the same as what you're talking about? http://www.rona.ca/shop/~fertilizer-hanging-basket-food-14-14-14-smartcote-411183_horticulture_shop

Because I'll be temped to try some myself. Is there a link online you're using to help with dosing, frequency etc?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on March 29, 2012, 01:47:29 PM
Thanks Errol, Smartcote eh? I just googled the image of the product and I'm almost certain I have that stuff at home for hanging baskets...Is this the same as what you're talking about? http://www.rona.ca/shop/~fertilizer-hanging-basket-food-14-14-14-smartcote-411183_horticulture_shop

Because I'll be temped to try some myself. Is there a link online you're using to help with dosing, frequency etc?
Pretty much , except the one i plan on using has micro nutrients including some calcium. I`ll try & find the link i saw with dosing, if memory serves me well, it was 1/2 a tsp spread around just like most root tabs 4- 6 sq inches  every 3-4 mths ,of course depending on aquascape & plant mass etc.
Errol

bizfromqc

I almost pulled the plug on the root medic tabs as well, maybe we should try them out with a group order or something...

Janny

I'd go in on some DIY root tab feeds with someone.

pm

Quote from: charlie on March 29, 2012, 01:03:41 PM
Thanls Peter, is it the one with Micro nutrients?

Yeah, it is the hanging basket. 14-14-14 with micronutrients

exv152

Quote from: pm on March 29, 2012, 05:21:03 PM
Yeah, it is the hanging basket. 14-14-14 with micronutrients

I tried searching this online but can't find anything on it. Are you saying there are two types of smartcote ferts for hanging baskets 14-14-14, one with and one without micro nutrients?  I looked the container I have at home and it doesn't mention anything about calcium, or any other micros, just NPK.
???
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

Mine definitely says "with micronutirents".  Mine has little gray and tan balls, but others I have seen in stores (or your links) have only gray balls.

Who knows, mine could be newer, or could be older.  Got it at walmart last fall.

charlie

They are 2 types - with & without micors, i saw both @ Rona Innis.
Errol

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 30, 2012, 01:12:40 PM
Do you think this can be sprinkled onto the substrate when setting a tank up like the ADA dubstrate additives? I'd be tempted to given the granules.
Yes

daworldisblack

Sweet. Might dabble into it too then!

pm

Quote from: daworldisblack on March 30, 2012, 01:12:40 PM
Do you think this can be sprinkled onto the substrate when setting a tank up like the ADA dubstrate additives? I'd be tempted to given the granules.

This is exactly what I did for my tank in Oct/Nov.  I have had no negative issues that I can see, even with substrate disturbances (note that I do do 50% WC weekly)

exv152

I might buy some of that stuff then because mine only has the grey granules. I'll pick out all the tan granules, assuming these are micro nutrient pellets, and maybe give those a try since I'm already dosing macros. 
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

just at walmart baseline and I see this:

just in case peeps were interested

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

exv152

Thanks for including the price in your photo, it's gonna make price matching easier...lol
:)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

sylros

Quote from: pm on March 30, 2012, 12:03:06 PM
Mine definitely says "with micronutirents".  Mine has little gray and tan balls, but others I have seen in stores (or your links) have only gray balls.

Who knows, mine could be newer, or could be older.  Got it at walmart last fall.

I got mine at Canadian Tire but I was afraid to get anything that has more than the NPK stuff. What I ended up with is the Miracle Gro Shake'n Feed 19-6-12. It's for potted plants - both outdoors and indoors. Haven't tried them yet as I'm still troubleshooting using API tablets and dosing with the Flourish liquid stuff...all of them.

I'll be curious to see which of the slow release plant fertz would work best. These are tan or beige in colour, no greys. I was going to put them in ice cube trays and freeze them to help with putting them in the substrate.

charlie

Well after doing the rounds this morning i finally settled on the Miracle grow with a lower NPK & higher calcium(3+%), picked it up @ Wal mart & CDN Tire has it too.

pm

Hmmm.  Didn't see those last year  >:(  mind you, I was buying in the fall.

The smartcote are 6 month, versus the miraclegrow 3 month slow release.  Obviously the coating is different.  Is it the same nitrogen source?

charlie

Quote from: pm on March 31, 2012, 03:45:36 PM
Hmmm.  Didn't see those last year  >:(  mind you, I was buying in the fall.

The smartcote are 6 month, versus the miraclegrow 3 month slow release.  Obviously the coating is different.  Is it the same nitrogen source?
I really dont put much into the length of the release in our world , those quoted time periods are for regular  use it was intended for, i remember reading on the smartcote that it was hinged on temp & moisture, but i could be wrong since i`ve peered over so many in the last 2 weeks.
As for the Nitrogen source, the label does not indicate , i don`t think it`s amonium base, in any event since it`s capped in the substrate i`m not concenred about that.
Errol

jetstream

Quote from: charlie on March 31, 2012, 05:54:52 PM
I really dont put much into the length of the release in our world , those quoted time periods are for regular  use it was intended for, i remember reading on the smartcote that it was hinged on temp & moisture, but i could be wrong since i`ve peered over so many in the last 2 weeks.
As for the Nitrogen source, the label does not indicate , i don`t think it`s amonium base, in any event since it`s capped in the substrate i`m not concenred about that.
Errol

You got it right! Most garden fertilizer not aim or rated for 100% humidity environment. You could perform a test and put a handful in a container with water and see how they perform before put into your tank. Most likely the product also comes with filler or binding agent.

One of the main function of Phosphate is to enhance flowering. Do you really need to have such high P content in the substrate or water column? Plus, most likely your substrate is only between 2-3 inches deep and you always try to use all kind of methods to loosen it. Do you have MTS in your tank? What percentage of P you think the substrate will be able to contain without leaching into the water column? Would like to know how it works!

Cheers!

pm

Quote from: jetstream on March 31, 2012, 07:10:31 PM
Do you really need to have such high P content in the substrate or water column?

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have had the choice of a product with a lower P value than the 14-14-14 smartcote (like Osmocote plus which is 15-9-12).  I just needed something to help in a 50% inert substrate.  Since I was doing EI dosing anyways, I just went a little lighter on the water column ferts in case of leaching.  Not saying it was perfect, but I can't report any noticeable problems in 5 months of use.