New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DIY root tab

Started by Peekay, February 05, 2012, 10:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: pm on March 31, 2012, 03:45:36 PM
Hmmm.  Didn't see those last year  >:(  mind you, I was buying in the fall.

The smartcote are 6 month, versus the miraclegrow 3 month slow release.  Obviously the coating is different.  Is it the same nitrogen source?
I really dont put much into the length of the release in our world , those quoted time periods are for regular  use it was intended for, i remember reading on the smartcote that it was hinged on temp & moisture, but i could be wrong since i`ve peered over so many in the last 2 weeks.
As for the Nitrogen source, the label does not indicate , i don`t think it`s amonium base, in any event since it`s capped in the substrate i`m not concenred about that.
Errol

jetstream

Quote from: charlie on March 31, 2012, 05:54:52 PM
I really dont put much into the length of the release in our world , those quoted time periods are for regular  use it was intended for, i remember reading on the smartcote that it was hinged on temp & moisture, but i could be wrong since i`ve peered over so many in the last 2 weeks.
As for the Nitrogen source, the label does not indicate , i don`t think it`s amonium base, in any event since it`s capped in the substrate i`m not concenred about that.
Errol

You got it right! Most garden fertilizer not aim or rated for 100% humidity environment. You could perform a test and put a handful in a container with water and see how they perform before put into your tank. Most likely the product also comes with filler or binding agent.

One of the main function of Phosphate is to enhance flowering. Do you really need to have such high P content in the substrate or water column? Plus, most likely your substrate is only between 2-3 inches deep and you always try to use all kind of methods to loosen it. Do you have MTS in your tank? What percentage of P you think the substrate will be able to contain without leaching into the water column? Would like to know how it works!

Cheers!

pm

Quote from: jetstream on March 31, 2012, 07:10:31 PM
Do you really need to have such high P content in the substrate or water column?

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked to have had the choice of a product with a lower P value than the 14-14-14 smartcote (like Osmocote plus which is 15-9-12).  I just needed something to help in a 50% inert substrate.  Since I was doing EI dosing anyways, I just went a little lighter on the water column ferts in case of leaching.  Not saying it was perfect, but I can't report any noticeable problems in 5 months of use.