New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Thinking about cichlids in Ottawa, but what???

Started by Nene, May 14, 2018, 12:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

It would be wise to purchase a complete test kit and water hardness kit so that tests can be run before and after water changes. It will give you a better idea of what is transpiring. I personally never do less then 50% or more but we all have our methods and reasons for the methods.
On a separate note. Don't be afraid to house tanganyikans in our water. Mine do fine in our city water. I do add a cichlid mix of Epsom salt, baking soda, and sea salt for trace minerals. I can make enough for a year for about 35 bucks. This does 5 tanks too

Nene

Quote from: Mike L on July 12, 2018, 05:04:54 PM
It would be wise to purchase a complete test kit and water hardness kit so that tests can be run before and after water changes. It will give you a better idea of what is transpiring. I personally never do less then 50% or more but we all have our methods and reasons for the methods.
On a separate note. Don't be afraid to house tanganyikans in our water. Mine do fine in our city water. I do add a cichlid mix of Epsom salt, baking soda, and sea salt for trace minerals. I can make enough for a year for about 35 bucks. This does 5 tanks too

Any good place where to get the Epsom salt and baking soda in bulk at a good price?
For now I'll be sticking with the west africans but I know I want to go back to keeping tangs in some time

I'll run more tests on the water pre and post EC and report back
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

Nene

PS thanks for the tips on water changes.
As I said I'm very new to soft water, epsecially low KH,  and I guess that those possible drops in ph you were mentioning might be what's going wrong here.
A ph dropping to 4 in 2-3 weeks is quite dramatic! Didn't think that just a bunch of small fish (my bioload is pretty low with just a few fish in a 40gal) and the nitrification process could bring it down so much in matter of a week (or a little more)
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

Nene

Eureka! After losing some fish and, being stubborn, buying a few new females for my loner male... This evening I just saw 8-10 fries swimming around the bottom of the tank guarded by daddy Teleogramma.
Yay! Feels good to be back breeding cichlids after I left my tanganyikans at home.

This is my first West African cichlid spawn and I'm happy I was able to figure out what didn't work the first time with them. Back in the business baby! Whoooo happy as a child
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

Jody

Wow, that is fantastic!
Keep an eye on the dates for your breeder points too.
When they get large enough to sell, I would be interested in some
Jody

Nene

A couple videos of the fries

Saturday when I first noticed them. Guarded by the male
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvE2crGlQ9E

And yesterday when they got out with the female looking for food (there seem to be ~15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9WrGB8Mzyw

They seem to become braver in exploring the tank in the evening when room lights are out. Despite I haven't feed them anything specific apart from what I give the adults, they seem to have their bellies quite full. Maybe I'll try to pull out a few of them to grow them out
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

Nene

Baby Teleogramma in the breeders net doing fine and growing. Also 3-4 still in with the parents in the main tank, also apparently doing fine!
Let's see if this continues when they decide to spawn again
Kushanganza!!!!

Enea Parimbelli

matttimms49

that's awesome, glad the fry are doing well. Do you think they will be large enough to bring to the livestock auction?

Jody

Looking awesome Nene!
Teleogramma are great fish and it is always fantastic to have someone breeding them.

Jody