New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need Help in Knowing Cichlid behavior

Started by syedthameemalthaf, November 19, 2019, 05:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syedthameemalthaf

Hello People ,
As I am new here in this forum and I would like to get advice from all of you.I have a new tank set up of 29 gallons, I recently added 4 African cichlid in my tank , in which there are a male kenyi and two female and also a yellowfin boryeli, The male one is always too aggressive and fear away all the other tank mates. Is it a common behaviour, I could also see that the female kenyi go hide in the plants. and they never come out fearing that the male would chase it.

My second question is it okay to add Kenyi with Yellowfin cichlid. I see that the male and female Kenyi keep chasing the poor Yellow Fin which is solo in the tank

All these are very small and young ones, i have attached the picture . Please help me with you feedback and suggestions

and also when i feed it it spits out not intrested in krill to give the best suggestions fr food as well

Jody

Hi Syed,

So the behaviour you are describing is normal for the fish. Kenyi are generally considered one of the most aggressive lake Malawi cichlids you can get.
  A 29 gallon is small for keeping those fish.
Now that you have them, I would add more hiding spots to the tank for the females.
Adding more fish would also help, as it will spread the aggression out. I would add another 3 or 4 fish.
  The borleyi is not a great tank mate for an aggressive mbuna like a kenyi. Likely it will get very bullied and eventually killed.
Other mbuna would be the best things to add. Avoid peacocks and haps,  as they can stand up to kenyi.

Jody

syedthameemalthaf

Quote from: Jody on November 19, 2019, 09:41:48 PM
Hi Syed,

So the behaviour you are describing is normal for the fish. Kenyi are generally considered one of the most aggressive lake Malawi cichlids you can get.
  A 29 gallon is small for keeping those fish.
Now that you have them, I would add more hiding spots to the tank for the females.
Adding more fish would also help, as it will spread the aggression out. I would add another 3 or 4 fish.
  The borleyi is not a great tank mate for an aggressive mbuna like a kenyi. Likely it will get very bullied and eventually killed.
Other mbuna would be the best things to add. Avoid peacocks and haps,  as they can stand up to kenyi.

Jody
thanks for the advice jody ,so to add 3 to 4 fish should i add like rainbow shark or some fast moving ones or should i stick to mbuna

sniggir

should stick too fish that come from Malawi, and get a bigger tank the borleyi will get very large. I have a male and female and they are 6" after only a year
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

syedthameemalthaf

Quote from: sniggir on November 22, 2019, 04:31:45 PM
should stick too fish that come from Malawi, and get a bigger tank the borleyi will get very large. I have a male and female and they are 6" after only a year

Seems like a bad day for me . The boreyli passed away  :( right now I have a male kenyi and two female ones, Seems like the male is soo aggressive it keeps the female chasing always and not let it come near the ship .So i am thinking to change the tank setup entirely by removing the decorations and full water and do a clean set up again what do you suggest?