New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help Identifying Cichlids

Started by MichelleTCM, March 09, 2020, 03:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelleTCM

Can anyone help me identify these two cichlids? I purchased them as keyhole cichlids but I no longer believe they are. The bar on the side of their bodies comes and goes with their mood. I know it's a little early to tell but I had planned for them to be moved into a 75 gal community tank but worry they may not be suitable for these two.

More Images here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/cpHQESm

Gowalkitoff

Mike L

Definitely aequidens family which the keyhole is part of but not sure which.  Check under that name and decide what you have. Also be aware that food, water perameters, lighting, aquarium furnishing etc, will play a major roll in how your fish colour,so your fish might not look exactly like internet pics.
How big are they? Look 1 inch or so

MichelleTCM

Quote from: Mike L on March 10, 2020, 08:09:48 PM
Definitely aequidens family which the keyhole is part of but not sure which.  Check under that name and decide what you have. Also be aware that food, water perameters, lighting, aquarium furnishing etc, will play a major roll in how your fish colour,so your fish might not look exactly like internet pics.
How big are they? Look 1 inch or so

The bigger one with the black bar in most pictures is about 2 and a half inches. The other is closer to 2 inches. I think you are right with the aequidens family. They are still young and colouring up. In the last 12ish days the bigger one has got that blue tinge to the top fin, yellow side fins and some brown vertical bars when it's excited (feeding time or a shrimp swims past and catches its eye). I also see some white almost iridescent lines around it's jaw line.They have major personality and react to you walking up to the tank. They tell you when it's feeding time by looking up to the top of the water when they see you.They are very personable so I want to keep them but like with anything I need to prepare for size, temperature and temperament.