New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus

Started by Gowalkitoff, February 08, 2021, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gowalkitoff

Hi.  So a while back I redid my big tank and picked up 6 cryptoheros nanoluteus.  Man are they ever spectacular.  I am so glad I did this.  Their behaviour is funny, they hang out together and stroll around the tank.  They are energetic but chill.  Their eyes are phenomenal.  And now I have a pair off that have wigglers!  The breeding colors are so sharp and different from non breeding. I'm really enjoying the experience.  Has anyone kept these fish before?  There doesn't seem to be a lot of info about them. 

Jody

Hi,

They are great fish! Where did you pick them up?

I have had pairs in a couple of tanks for a few years now, plus all kinds of grow out fish.
I love the colour and the personality on them.
    I have pair in my 125 that I noticed have eggs again tonight. I will pull the fry out once they are free swimming since they won't have a chance with the rest of the fish in there.
Not that I really need more at the moment, I have 3 other tanks of grow outs at the moment.

Jody

Gowalkitoff

I had found them on Kijiji.  They are so neat to watch.  When at my desk, they all come to the side to watch me for hours.  I have 6, and I noticed this afternoon that the other male paired off, and now the remaining 2 girls are feeling tense, lol.  The minimal readings I do find on the net seem to say they are hard to keep alive, did you have any issues?  I just have the 6 nanos, 8 silvertip tetras, and 2 bn plecos in there.  I Hope to find some poecilia to add for more dither effect

Jody

Hi,
    They are pretty hardy fish overall, and for the fry the biggest thing is the first couple of weeks of feeding, making sure that they have something small enough. Baby brine or microworms both work great.  They defend their fry pretty well, but in a mixed tank you may find them getting picked off as opportunity presents itself.

Jody

Gowalkitoff

I love watching their behaviour, they are impressive defenders. The second pair is roaming, even with the abs tubes I put in, so I ordered another rock snowman sonce they like it so much.  On friday i am scheduled ti pick up some swordtails and other poecilia that should help dither more.  I adore these guys.  And i can't get over their turquoise eyes.