New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant identification please

Started by Kats, February 23, 2008, 05:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

I just love this one!!!!

what is it?

I'm just hoping it's not one that comes with warnings like the macrandra!!  :D

BTW.... can you grow house plants in tanks????  Probably a silly question but it just occured to me that I own a few plants that would look good in my tank!!!!   :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Are you sure this is an aquatic plant? I havent seen anything like this submersed yet ...

It looks like some kind of Narcissus.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Kats

Yep.  I only posted a tidbit of the picture because it's from the site of a pro photographer and I did not want to break copyrights but here is the site/picture....  take a minute to look at this guy's pics....  to die for!!!!

http://www.crazyravr.smugmug.com/gallery/1226987#106056679

Do you think it could be a plastic plant?  If you look at the picture from the site, there are other plants in his tanks that I haven't seen before too .

beowulf

Laura

I'm with beowulf, they look like silk/plastic plants.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Vizerdrix

dan2x38

FAKE... Terrestrial plants are often sold as aquatic plants in some LFS' & suppliers. :( Some will grow emerged. Some might grow for some time submersed but will not grow then die off.

Check this out: http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Franco-Valias_Terrestrial_Plants.html
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

jrs

It is non-aquatic

To me it looks like artificial silk resembling Sweet Flag (Acorus calamus)

kennyman

The tank shot with that plant in it was also staged for the shot. Look at the bubbles on the front of the tank and you can see the fill lines.

I have some variegated Iris that has a similar leaf but that flower doesn't match anything I've seen before.

Kats

Oh well!  Fake plants might look good but they are no fun!!!  Thanks for the info!  I'll stick with the macrandra challenge for now!   ;D