New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Starting my 55 gallon from scratch but what light should I get?

Started by dark_rain, May 03, 2019, 03:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dark_rain

My tank is a 4 foot 55 gallon. I'm looking to grow some Val, some swords, Wisteria and maybe some suswassetang. I'll be using eco-complete and dosing w/ Flourish and root tabs but no CO2.

I currently have a Current USA Satellite LED but it's not so good. Definitely want to upgrade my lighting but I would prefer to stay on the easy side of $300 if possible. Any suggestions or am I going to need to spend a bit more?

Thanks.

(I'm more or less a plant noob, but I'm really enjoying the learning)
90 Gallon low-tech planted tank (Anubias, Java Ferns, Crypts)

55 Gallon planted starting from scratch w/ Eco-Complete

Serlac60

I have a 90g and have changed my light and substrate and added a lot of plants this winter.  I went with Eco-complete as a substrate and use root tabs, and liquid fertilizer as well. For the light, I have chose the Aquatic Life EDGE and got it from Amazon at a reasonable price. So far, I am very satisfied with it and the plants have never been so happy. No CO2 here either

Black_Rose

My low cost Beamswork 6500k light gave out, so I went with a Fluval aquasky light on my 20 tall.
Really impressed with it.
Plants (Amazon swords, guppy grass) are doing great and no algae issues.

Christianloug

I enjoy the fluval plant lights. I'm using 3 of them and they are excellent. The fluval 2.0 I think it is, I got for 260$? So under 300$ and very customizable. Great for plants and has presets for different aquariums. Works perfect for me. I've also used the fluval sky and it is great.

dark_rain

Thanks! I will have a look at those lights suggested so far when I get in from work tonight.

Appreciate the help!

Kalemh

I also recommend the fluval 2.0 an amazing light in my experience. You could also do 4 T5 Ho bulbs or maybe even 2 bulbs for the plants your looking to grow

matttimms49

I will second the Fluval lights. I have a bunch of them and they do great. An added plus for me is that some of the ranges are water proof plus the customer care from Fluval is great too.

Make sure to check out what the club sponsors have to offer, I've seen some good lights in all the stores. :)

dark_rain

I would likely see if BA's has one, I just hate that the Kanata store had to close, as that's where I'm at (and Orleans is so far out of the way). Either that or I will try to Amazon 1

Black_Rose

Don't forget about Critter Jungle.
They carry Fluval lights as well, and are closer.