New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Potted plant

Started by Guybeaux, November 30, 2019, 05:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybeaux

Just bought 3 small potted plant yesterday on black friday
It's the first time I buy potted plant. Do I leave the plant in its plastic vented pot when I bury it in my tank sandy substrate ?

Gilbotron

You want to remove the pot and all the rock wool before planting. Just the plant and its roots should be planted.

Also, be sure to give it a good rinse before putting in your tank.

Guybeaux

Oups ! I planted it with their pot and yeah I kinda messed it up. Next morning my water had a greenish tinge
I've done partial water changes since, it's better but not quite what it was before.
I'm assuming that I should use my tank water to rinse new bought plant.
Still learning :-)
Thank you for the advise

Gilbotron

Tap water is fine/preferable for rinsing plants before planting. You want the chlorine to clean off any unwanted bacteria/pests/chemicals. Just make sure the water is luke warm... you don't want to shock the plant with hot or cold water.

Guybeaux

Thank you Gilbotron !
I've used my tank water but next time I will rinse them with tap water
There is not much chlorine in my city water since I've got an active charcoal softener system in my house.

th3budd

I keep 3% hydrogen peroxide on hand in a spray bottle and always give new plants a good spraying (don't forget to spray under the leaves) and let sit for about 3-5 minutes before rinsing them under the tap and adding to the tank. Helps to reduce/eliminate algae and/or any unwanted hitchhikers.