New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 tank

Started by Karen03, September 19, 2020, 04:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen03

Hello. I want to set up a CO2 system in my tank (75 gal) and I would like some advice.

After reading all the threads in the forum about CO2 systems, I'm not much wiser. (I'm easily confused :-)). You have convinced me of the benefits of a dual stage regulator. I am considering ordering this kit from CO2Art: https://www.co2art.eu/collections/complete-co2-systems/products/pro-se-series-complete-aquarium-co2-system-with-in-tank-flux_-diffuser. Comments? Although I'd appreciate spending less money, I don't think I have the time or patience to try to source all the parts for a DIY system.

I would also appreciate advice on sourcing the tank. I've read that you can get them filled at Davidsons or Praxair, but can I purchase a tank from them? I see 5lb tanks on Amazon for $80 - $120. Are those as good as any?

I joined OVAS at the start of COVID, so I've never had the chance to meet any of you. But I look forward to attending an in=person event in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for sharing all your great knowledge with newbies such as myself in this wonderful forum.

Thanks!
Karen

Gowalkitoff

I cant help with much, I did co2 for 4 months yhen quit lol.  But yes you can buy tanks at Davidson's, thats where i got mine.

neon1423

So the answer is it depends. Are you looking to just add co2 to make the plants a little happier, or are you planning on doing a full high tech planted tank with high lights and fertilizer?

If you just want to add a little co2 to make the plants happy, my advice is go to Critter Jungle and buy a small co2 tank and regulator from them (about 200$)

If you want to do a full high tech set up, you need a large tank, good regulator and a ph monitor (works by monitoring ph, which when combined with your kh tells you how much co2 is in the water and turns on and off the solenoid on your co2 regulator) would also be a good idea (all in about 500$)

On my 75 gallon tank I'm using:
5lb cylinder i bought from defalco's wine here in ottawa
https://store.defalcowines.com/Co2-Cylinder-Aluminum-5lbs.html

a Milwaukee duel stage regulator
https://www.amazon.ca/Milwaukee-Instruments-MA957-Dual-Valve-Adjustable/dp/B002P39I8U

and an Ista ph monitor
sorry no link, I got it from critter jungle

The 5lb tank lasts me about a year, and I get it refilled at defalco (its closer then davidson for me). I also think Critter Jungle carries duel stage regulators, but I'm not sure you'd have to check, if they do, you can buy everything you need right here in ottawa.

As for the duel stage regulator, I'm a little fuzzy on it as well so if someone could correct me if I make a mistake. It take the high pressure co2 coming from the tank, drops the pressure down, then drops it again for better flow and control of how much co2 is introduced into the tank.

Co2 was definitely intimidating for me when I first went to use it, but with research, advice and practice I can't imagine my tanks without it.

Hope this helps

HayleYoyo

Davidson's will often have a sale where they sell all tanks for $95 filled. I just got my 10lbs tank there.

I'd suggest watching the series by The Water Box on YouTube. He has a whole playlist on how to imminent co2

charlie

Hello and welcome to OVAS.
Since you have mentioned after reading the various post and convinced in using a 2 stage co2 regulartor, im inclined to say the co2 art 2 stage is reasonably priced as far as 2  stage regulators go.
To the best of my knowledge there is no local source of 2 stage regulators , there is one brand labeled 2 stage locally but it's a 2 gauge regulator AKA single stage.
My suggestion on co2 bottles , is to get the biggest volume of bottle that space and budget allows especially with the size of your intended 75 gallon aquarium.
The initial co2 bottle cost can be significant from 5 to 10 to 15 to 20 lb, but the refill cost between the various sizes is minimal, which translates to less trips to refill and  savings per LB of gas  example: cost of refilling a 10 lb bottle is probably approx. 28.00 while refilling a 20 lb bottle will be approximately 32.00. ( double the volume of co2 for a few bucks more than a 10 lb)
Usually you can get used/ repurposed steel bottles from - pyromatek Gatineau, Davidson Ottawa. NEW aluminum bottles from 5 to 15 lbs can be sourced from Defalcos Ottawa.
Hope this helps

Karen03

Thank you so much to all of you for your wisdom!  :)

exv152

One additional note, from my personal experience, is you will want to definitely get familiarized with how the regulator works, and how to check for leaks (spray bottle / dish soap etc), and learn how to troubleshoot other issues. Because whether you decide to build your own, or buy a ready to use regulator, you will still run into challenges. So don't be shy to ask questions here on the forum before you hook up your new regulator.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Karen03

Thank you again to all for your generosity.
Aquarium Direct.ca says the CO2 Art SE series regulator (i.e. the cheaper of the two CO2 Art) has a high defect rate (https://www.aquariumdirect.ca/en/co2-equipment/1391-co2-art-pro-se-series-co2-regulator-.html) and recommend against it. This is the one I have pretty well settled on. Should I be concerned?  :-\
Thanks.

lucius

I wonder if Aquarium Direct ordered a whole bunch of CO2 Art regulators to have in stock and quick delivery and ended up with a bunch of lemons.  Maybe order directly from CO2 Art instead?  I've dealt with CO2 Art twice for after sales support.  Both were solenoid related, one stopped working after a few months and another had a bad AC adapter upon receipt.  I contacted them in Europe and they sent me replacement parts without issues.  The only downside was that it took a couple weeks to get here.

Karen03

I'm very excited! I've ordered a regulator from CO2 Art. Based on Eric's advice, I'd like to learn what I can before setting it up (before it arrives even). Any recommendations for videos or articles to help me familiarize myself with the setup? TIA!

exv152

Here is a very good video on setting up co2. It comes from a very reputable US dealer.
https://youtu.be/FKd31YTURbs

I would also leak test the regulator after hooking it up. Once it's running you will want to take a spray bottle with some dishsoap and spray all the connections on your regulator, and observe closely to ensure there are no bubbles anywhere. Bubbles would indicate you have a leak and you'll want to address that before going any further. Also, start gradually dosing co2. You don't want to gas out your fish. If you're using a pH controller this is easier to do.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Another video
https://youtu.be/2_Nf1zpgwJA
I would suggest you make note of the working pressure knob as illustrated in the video before opening the bottle valve( the knob should be turned all the way left / low before opening the bottle valve)