New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Setting up CO2

Started by Karen03, September 30, 2020, 10:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen03

Hello again.
First off, thank you to everyone for the great advice and help you've given me so far. The regulator from CO2 Art is due to arrive next week. I got a 10lb tank from Davidson's. I'm so excited! The last time I injected a tank with CO2 was 25 years ago using an unpressurized DIY yeast system. I'm very happy to get back into the hobby after a long hiatus.  :)

My main question is related to buffers and low pH. I am on Ottawa city water (KH 2). My tank pH is generally about 6.6. According to advice I've read, to achieve 30ppm CO2 I should be aiming for a 1 point pH drop. But surely I don't want to aim for a pH of 5.6?! Most of my fish require pH of 6.0 and above. Do you think I should add buffers to the water so I'm starting at about 7.0 and therefore dropping to about 6.0?

Second question: I've heard of bubble counter solution, but I also read that some people use mineral oil and some use water. What do you recommend I use in the bubble counter?

Thanks so much!
Karen :)

exv152

I have run pH in the low 5 range with no ill effects. PH is less important than keeping things stable. Trying to adjust your KH or pH can only lead to more issues. I recommend working with what you get out of your tap water. And any amount of KH is good enough to prevent wild fluctuations.

Don't use mineral oil, it will eventually go up the airline and mess with your check valve, rendering it useless. Just use tank water.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

OttawaFolkFestivum

Karen - I'm looking into ordering a regulator as well. Trying to find out if PRO-Elite series is worth it vs. Pro-Se.
Look forward to hearing your updates.
Cheers, Steve

Karen03

Update: I'm happy to report that everything is working great. No issues with set up, no leaks.