New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best Plant Lights For 90 Gallon?

Started by Kalinkacat, December 20, 2020, 09:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalinkacat

After 17 Years, My Lighting System over my 90 gallon tank using compact flourescents has finally died.  I was running 220 watts over the tank.

I would like the lighting for high light plants and would like feedback as to what would be the best suggestions.  After 17 years, I don't have a clue about modern lighting.  All my other tanks are still using the same compact flourescent system right now.  I thought of using parts and having a lighting place possibly replace the ballasts and the noisy fan on one but think it might cost as much as buying something new.  Also using old parts to replace may not warrant the cost of rebuilding if it only then lasts another year or so (factor unknown of course).

It has to sit on top of the tank vs hanging from the ceiling (so halogens are out) and I have a sliding glass top on the tank.  So please, if you could offer suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

charlie

The term " best plant lights"  can lead to endless suggestions and opinions.
The technology is heavily leaning to LED lights but you may find LED fixtures to match the performance of the compact flourscents to be costly, one alternative could be high output T5 flourscent fixtures.( if you can find them)

neon1423

I've got 2 75 gallon planted tanks. for one I'm using 2 fluval plant 2.0 lights and the other is using a fluval plant 3.0. I have nothing but good things to say about both systems. As Charlie mentioned, they are pricey. I bought them from Critter Jungle for around 350$ per unit. The advantage of the 3.0 is that it has a built in bluetooth adapter, so you can control the output and spectrum from your phone and its fully programmable, also form your phone.

Hope this helps

Kalinkacat

Ok, I was looking at the Fluval lighting systems.  The largest model (48" - 60") comprises of 336 LEDs is one of these units enough for a 90 gallon fully planted tank?

They seem so small compared to the old compact flourescent Cora Life.  Would I need to buy 2 or is 1 powerful enough?

Thanks

deathr0ll

neon1423

Quote from: Kalinkacat on December 21, 2020, 11:18:11 AM
Would I need to buy 2 or is 1 powerful enough?

The timeless answer, it depends. I'm using 2 lights on one tank because that tank has a carpet growing, the other tank only uses 1. My father also has a 90 gallon and is running one fluval plant 3.0.

exv152

I agree with most folks here, T5HO is unmatched for high light intensity, especially for a tank that's 24" tall. There really isn't anything out there as far as LED are concerned, without spending an arm and a leg. The fluval 3.0 is medium light at best when you look at the PAR values for 90G, and it retails for $300. The current USA is about the same intensity for a 90G and it retails for $400.

Check out Beamswork DA FSPEC or Nicrew classicLED G3. These are nice alternatives for a decently priced LED, but will not reach high intensity like compact fluorescents or T5HO, and you would need 2 for high light.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g