New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate questions

Started by Karen03, January 29, 2021, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen03

Hello. I am upgrading to a 125g and am trying to figure out what I'm going to use for substrate. I plan to spend $$$ on lighting, but don't want my lighting investment to be sabotaged by poor quality substrate.

I watched the Green Aqua tutorial on substrate, and then priced out the ADA products suggested. It seems I could spend half my lighting budget on substrate!

Do you have any economical solutions for substrate choices? How about pond soil?

Thanks!
Karen

OttawaFolkFestivum

Hi Karen, I also struggle with substrate. "It's all fun and games until it's time to pick substrate".

1) Soil is great - it's mandatory to soak, and scoop out floating wood, etc, otherwise you will end up with stained looking water - not necessarily fun! I got burned on that and had water that would never become clear.
2) Aquatic soils are great - because they both reduce need to fertilize and also when you do fertilize they capture it. There is a great Youtube video from the Northern Ontario aquarium club out of North Bay. He covers that.

I went with fluval stratum orders from pets and ponds. It's downside is that it is light, and it's expensive.

I'd consider working ADA or Stratum into your budget. Realizing it's a huge tank.

Also you didn't mention CO2. Worth considering pressurized CO2 vs. commercial substrate.
Cheers, Steve

Karen03

Thank you for the advice. Very helpful!
I'm moving up to 125g from my current 75g. I have a pressurized CO2 setup.
Thanks!
:)

charlie

Just to add , you can be strategic with your layout incorporating cosmetic sands/ gravel  used in negative spaces to accentuate visual appearance and reduce the amount of the more expensive commercial aquarium soils.
I have used most of the commercial planted substrates locally available including ADA, I have come to fancy the Tropica soil substrate , since I found it compares favorably if not better than other soil based substrates and is locally available. As mentioned I find the Fluval Stratum too light and is not favorable to anchoring carpet plants in it's early use.
There's also the Walstad style tanks which is very cheap, I'll let others who have experience with it it elaborate on it.
https://tropica.com/en/plant-care/aquarium-soil/aquarium-soil/
Regards