New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Regarding off-topic posts

Started by dpatte, December 07, 2004, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I like the idea of a joke of the month - but as this is a website paid for my members of the Aquarium society, can we ask that all jokes of the month be hobby related?

dpatte

Actually - I also feel the same way about the classifieds - they too should be hobby-related items only. Thanks

Marx

a joke is a joke.. how many fish jokes can there possible be?

328iGuy

Dave

Does it mean that people in OVAS can only relate to aquarium related topics.  Why the issue of variety?  Come on guy's......

328iGuy

Quote from: "Marx"a joke is a joke.. how many fish jokes can there possible be?

Agreed!  :roll:

Marx

holy crap this board is turning out for the worst..  

Its more like Iron fist ruling.. this board should be Members only totally and only fish topics ever.. None of those stupid political topics that the members posted about before..

i think you need to lighten up Dave..

dpatte

Quote from: "Marx"how many fish jokes can there possible be?

A fish swimming along, hits his head

'Dam Dam Dam'

328iGuy

Quote from: "dpatte"
Quote from: "Marx"how many fish jokes can there possible be?

A fish swimming along, hits his head

'Dam Dam Dam'

After people read this joke, hopefully this is enough explanation why we don't post "fish" related jokes.  :oops:

s0me

Well this thread went sour quickly.

I thought this place was a "community" and didn't need the internet police, guess I was wrong.

:(

328iGuy

I had this issue awhile back...same thing.

s0me

Oh, I forgot to mention, my joke...the "guy" was actually a fish. And the rest of the family were also fish.

:shock:

Marc

Personally, I have no problems with this joke thread.  David and I will have to talk and decide on a guideline.

328iGuy

MArc

With the limited amount of posts on this forum in comparison to other heavy traffic forums, I don't think there should be rules being set like this which would just push people to other forums with less guidlines, more posting and quicker reponses.

It's nice having a local forum, just without the stupidity. :)

dpatte

Marc, whatever you decide is fine - my comments where only suggestions.

Marc

Although I must add that I am dissapointed with some of your reactions.  What David said was gently said and some of you reacted like you had been kicked in the gut.

Unfortunately there will always be a need for "internet police" because not everyone is as well behaved as the OVAS users are and also because sometimes problems are caused by well meaning people.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Marc"Although I must add that I am dissapointed with some of your reactions.  What David said was gently said and some of you reacted like you had been kicked in the gut.

Unfortunately there will always be a need for "internet police" because not everyone is as well behaved as the OVAS users are and also because sometimes problems are caused by well meaning people.

Agreed however, I think some reactions like mine are based on multiple posts such as this over time.

When you see people are enjoying it and it's not getting out of hand, nothing crude etc.. was posted.  Then why bother trying to change it?

Marc

I was going to write the following to David to state my opinion of what I want but I'll put it out here for all to see.

I think this site should be a community and to build a proper community there must be and will be off-topic threads.  But since this is an aquarists' community the off-topic threads must also be a minority of the threads and the aquaria threads a majority.

artw

Personally I thought my idea of a 3rd forum for off topics,  be they classifieds or politics or jokes, whatever, can be separate in an "Off Topic" area...

you know.. cause even Ottawa area fishkeepers sometimes talk about stuff other than fish.... for example I like diving and I have a nice set of snow tires for sale...

Marc

Quote from: "artw"Personally I thought my idea of a 3rd forum for off topics,  be they classifieds or politics or jokes, whatever, can be separate in an "Off Topic" area...

Now when did you say that?   :shock:

I could go for that if that's what y'all want.

dpatte

I like art's idea. and how much are the snow tires? LOL