New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Classified ads and low offers

Started by Fishnut, November 20, 2007, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I'm selling things in the classifieds and was wondering if it is common that people PM sellers with ridiculously low offers on items that are otherwise reasonably priced?

I just got offered $20 for items that together I want $45 for (to buy new is around $100).  I'm all for negotiations, (heck, I'm a Realtor) but gee wiz!  People need to think reasonably with negotiations.  Why offer something ridiculous?  I felt like that person was trying to rob me!

woodendude

tandao78

LOLx yes it is common in this board since everyone is very knowledgable here and wants to get the best DEALS.

And yes you can get at 20% of the value of the item if you ask.

I have sold item at 20% if i need to get rid of it quickly..

Brine

I don't think I've ever tried to haggle with anyone in the fishkeeping hobby. As you said the stuff is reasonably priced (sometimes ridiculously low priced) so if I don't want to pay what you are reasonably asking I won't bother to PM you. Unless your post says OBO and even then I'll just pay what you asked but I can see others making an offer lower than your asking price. Many of us know what a fair price for something is and there are often people switching up there set ups or downsizing or upgrading so there is always plenty of good used stuff around for great deals.
Someone once told me to decide what the minimum amount I would take for something is then add 25% and ask that. That leaves room for haggling. I never do that though. I just post what I want for it and if you don't want it at that price you need to keep looking for a better deal somewhere else.

dan2x38

If it is more than I want to pay I do not bother replying. Some ppl window shop seeing what they can get cheap. If there is a low offer maybe they are looking for a reply to get an in between price from the one posted.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

sniggir

I too get frustrated with waht you are talking about.. no worries you are not alone
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Zoe

I'm not very good at haggling, but I can see how it can't hurt to ask.  What bugs me is when you explicitly say "FIRM" - and they STILL try to talk you down.

beowulf

Simple answer, do not reply to them.

darkdep

This has been a common complaint.  I don't think it'll ever go away. 

I don't personally haggle on classifieds; the price set is the price I'm willing to pay or I don't respond.  But others like to haggle.  (shrug)

Fishnut

Yeah...I shouldn't have answered.  I was already in a pretty bad mood when I got the message, so I might have been slightly harsh in my response.  :-[  I used a few of these:  >:(

Now I know it happens to everyone and that my favourite people on this site don't partake in such aggravating activities!  :)

fishycanuck

Whether it's here, at a garage sale, or on UsedOttawa.com, there are always people who think it's fun to haggle. I hate it. Either reply with "nope" or don't answer those sorts of messages.

dan2x38

Well how about when you give something away & they ask you to deliver it or just don't show up...
Voltaire:

babblefish1960

That too can be very frustrating dan2x38, it is a demonstration of a lack of respect for your time and generosity.  All most of us do is remember the offenders and ignore them the next time so as to give others an opportunity to take part.

KLKelly

I have another point... When I see someone has pm'd regarding a certain item - I assume its gone already and at the asking price.  So I don't post afterwards or send a pm out of respect for the person who responded first.

I think if they are lowballers as Art put it - maybe they shouldn't note pm sent in the thread and just do it via PMs.

tandao78

IE of low baller with great advise:
=========================

Here is a PM from a low Baller for my ads when i seperated my system.

I had a maxijet 1200 in mint condition used less than 8 months for $18.00.

I said that my asking price was too high and he can buy a new one at 18.00 and he gladly help me if i lower it to $10.00.  Wow such a good person with advise eh?

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on November 25, 2007, 10:55:51 AM
I have another point... When I see someone has pm'd regarding a certain item - I assume its gone already and at the asking price.  So I don't post afterwards or send a pm out of respect for the person who responded first.

I think if they are lowballers as Art put it - maybe they shouldn't note pm sent in the thread and just do it via PMs.

Good point too... I do the same I will usually not reply with a 'PM sent' posted...
Voltaire:

mseguin

People will always be entitled to their opinions and their cheapness. Nothing yuo can do about it but ignore them.
AS for not sending pm's after the first, you might as well, for a variety of reasons. The first inquiry could be a lowballer, or just asking a question, or much less convenient for the seller than yourself. So pm away.

speckledmind

Quote from: Fishnut on November 20, 2007, 09:25:58 PM
I'm selling things in the classifieds and was wondering if it is common that people PM sellers with ridiculously low offers

Been there.

It took me a while to see the pattern and accept the facts, and found an easy fix, sell it some where else, like Used Ottawa, Kijji, or another Forum.
It's Sad, but I got fed up of the insults over the injuries.

With all due respect to what has been written on this thread, it has nothing to do with being " knowledgeable ", but rather being cheap, wanting everything for free, it's low balling plain and simple.

There is a difference between making a reasonable offer, bartering politely, and going cheap and insulting the seller with a low ball offer.

When I receive a polite approach, I like to entertain it and see where it will get both parties in the transaction, but when faced with a low ball offer, I clam up and get defensive ( most people do, it's our nature to protect ourselves ).

The low ballers always use the " PM " method for there activity, as " PM's " are not to be made public and must remain personal, so they feel safe / protected and keep doing it over and over again.

Every time some one low ball's, it diminishes the quality of the Forum, and the people who participate in it.

It's sad to read this is still happening, even worst when hearing more often than none.

My 2 cents.

bitterman

Quote from: DarkDep on November 21, 2007, 12:47:44 PM
This has been a common complaint.  I don't think it'll ever go away. 

I'm with APW on this one, I don't think it will ever change.  Just because someone offers you nothing for something, you don't have to sell it for what they offer.

Most people do not see the value on things, they think since it is a private sale people are going to give it to them.... For example how long did it take for Groan's Syno Multi's to sell?
That being said, be polite to people as things can be mis understood in a PM....... Tone does not transfer in a pm very well either and a joke could be taken as an insult.  Name calling etc should NEVER be done and will leave a bad taste in peoples mouth. Also unfortunately people talk in any community and people do get labeled. I don't like it but people do talk behind peoples back. I have been warned against dealing some with due to there crooked ways. Also take any rumors you hear with a grain of salt. They are rumors and not always the truth, take things based on your own experience.

I have received so many low ball offers on stuff and I find the best response for a low ball offer is to either ignore it (But this might result in more pm's from a person) or Just state you are firm on your price, or you won't go that low. Also offers etc should be by PM, I remember an instance in the past when Artw was selling his 75 and someone low balled him in the FS add and it recked the sale Artw already had lined up. Thank goodness the Execs of th site deleted the message, but the damage was already done.

Bruce

artw

where can you buy a new MJ1200 for $18 ?

darkdep

There are lots of people who don't lowball too.  Don't think that this thread means there are nothing but bad seeds out there...

Bruce, it's funny you mentioned groan's Syno Multies.  These fish are NOT cheap; they go for about $50+ each at BA's when available, regardless of size.  Unless buying very young, it's virtually impossible to buy them in groups.

But, we play on a forum where people see some fish go for a buck a piece, and don't get why these are worth more.  Shrug.  I'm glad that groan's fish are in fact going to someone who understands the value of the fish, and didn't try to lowball him.

...aka, me :)

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

charlie

Low balling is a part of life , found in every nook & cranny where articles are sold, the seller just needs to reassure the buyer that their prices are firm .
Regards

hamstercaster

One only needs to attend an OVAS meeting to see how cheap people are.  The last time I was there, September or October, more than 95% of the hands went down past 3 or
4$ for livestock.  I think I'm one of the people who paid the most money for fish that night when I got 3 Maruguensis for like 9$ I believe.  I have haggled once here on some HOB filters but the door had been left opened for me to do so.  If someone lists a price for the item(s) he or she is selling and adds O.B.O, then to me the person is expecting to be haggled and kinda wants otherwise he would have stated "firm". 

I know some people do get frustrated when they are being low balled but I see this as house shopping on a much lesser level.  When haggling over a house, buyers will usually submit a ridiculously low offer on the house and wait for the counter offer.  I'm under the impression that people do that here.  They will go as low as they feel necessary and hope for you to meet them haflway where the price would actually be what they are willing to pay.  Ignoring them or being nasty may not be the best answer as if you end up stuck with the item you want to sell, you may have an exit with a low baller and still get rid of your item... granted for much less than you wanted but sometimes you just either need the money or need the item out of your way and sometimes that could be a "viable" last resort.   If you prefer keeping the item to selling it to a low baller, that's your choice but sometimes that low baller could end up coming in handy.   

Either way, there's not much to do about, such is the facts of life......... You win some.. and then you lose some  ;)

darkdep

The livestock thing at the auction is good and bad.  Perhaps too many people buying fish without really wanting them.  If I see a fish at the auction I WANT, I leave my hand up.  I've either always got the fish or gotten in a price war with one other person who feels the same way.

Not naming any names tho.

(cough gerry cough)

speckledmind

Quote from: DarkDep on November 28, 2007, 10:41:50 AM
Don't think that this thread means there are nothing but bad seeds out there...

Agreed.
Wise Words.

Sharing a concern openly should not be looked at as being bad, but we must grow from what as been shared.

Although some still play both sides of the fence ( showing a public face as being nice and fair, but hide behind PM's ) it's up to each individual to weed out and share in a positive way, and bring the group / Forum to where it should be, a community that share on a positive note.

As I wrote in the past ( and said many of times in conversations ) " I will not put down the OVAS Forum / Club because of a few bad apples, I will voice out as need be, and as things may need to change ", even if some people are afraid of changes.

Over all, OVAS is a nice place to share.

Food for thought : One should not have time to carry grudges, there are better things to do in life than spin your wheels on that negativity.

Keep it fun, it's the only place where things can be fishy lol

mseguin

I will also add something, that sometimes not wanting to pay a certain amount isnt about being cheap, its about not having the money. To use the example of groan's synos, I completely agree that his price is more than fair. I just didn't have the money to buy them, so I told him I'd have to pass. If they were sold I'd auction, I'd put my hand up until it reached a certain price, and then drop it when it reached a point that is probably significantly less than what they're actually worth. Doesn't mean I'm cheap, and in fact, I'm helping drive up the price they sell for, which is good for the seller.

Fishnut

"I know some people do get frustrated when they are being low balled but I see this as house shopping on a much lesser level.  When haggling over a house, buyers will usually submit a ridiculously low offer on the house and wait for the counter offer.  I'm under the impression that people do that here.  They will go as low as they feel necessary and hope for you to meet them haflway where the price would actually be what they are willing to pay."

Hamstercasster, that doesn't happen often in the real estate business.  For starters, when a buyer is represented by a competent realtor, he/she will advise their client of the recent solds in the area and how they compare to the property in question.  They will also be advised that if they offer too low, their offer will likely be ignored.  A seller who is represented will be shown the comparable listings and sales when deciding on a listing price as well.  Yes, the prices are usually slightly higher to give room for negotiations but they want their house sold soon, not next year.  Those ridiculously low offers are often ignored.  Realtors on the seller side will tell the client about it because it is our duty to present all offers, but if the realtor knows the house is priced well, they will advise the client that there are better offers out there.  The seller then gets their hopes up for a split second and is ticked off that there is someone out there who either thinks they were born yesterday or is wasting their time trying to get that unbelievable deal.  Who wants to waste their time getting into negotiations when there is such a large gap between the asking price and the offer?  In the business it's almost impossible that those parties come to an agreement.