New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS or PhpBB?

Started by dannypd, February 24, 2005, 11:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannypd

I seem to be getting a LOT of "white" pages after posting my messages.  (messages do NOT get posted and I have to hit my back button and retype the post).

I've always had these in the past, but lately its becoming much more problematic.

Is it my network or ovas.ca?

...this is the 3rd time trying to post this.

mseguin

Can't say I've had that problem.

dannypd

I wonder if it is my browser....just odd, most posts go through, but the odd ball (lately a lot more..) just doesn't 'go through'.

I'm noticing a LOT of users on these forums at midnight!!  Poor fish should be sleeping, not being annoyed by us humans, lol.

squeeker

I've not had that problem at all.

It's my reading week, I sleep in every morning and stay up late every night... that's my excuse, anyway!

dpatte

when visiting the website (phpbb portion) i often see the html of the page (in white) instead of the actual page. Not sure why this happens, but if i back out and try again its fine.

Im using netscape 7.2 based on mozilla 5.0

squeeker

OK, I have seen the "white" pages.  Never knew that's what they were.  However, I have never had a problem posting messages.

Shouganai

I often see the raw html/etc pages as well.. like maybe 1/5th of the times I click on something. I'm using FireFox, haven't tried the site in IE.

Marc

I sometimes get the white pages and sometimes the raw html.  This is something that started when we switched to the current server but it only seems to happen to me when using Firefox, not when using Internet Explorer.

Those of you who've said this has happened to them, which browser are you using?

Marc

Marc

Also, it's always happened a lot more often when browsing from work rather than when browsing from home.  I'm not sure why.  Sign from the above? or the boss?

Marc

Marc

I  see dpatte who also gets this problem is using Netscape 7.2 which shares a lot of the same code as Firefox.

Julie

mseguin

I use sometimes get a white screen when I click on the OVAS Forum Index link to refresh the board, but never had a problem with posting. Using IE.

luvfishies

I get the raw code here as well.

Firefox 1.0 here.

dpatte

Very weird thing just happend to me. I pressed the quote button and the page the came up was correct, except that the topic review area had the raw html in it!

By the way - there is a 'normal way' to get a white page from the 'bridge' which links the BB to the main site. This happens if you are not properly logged in.

dpatte

This is what the page looks like when it comes up incorrectly. For programmers, note that each line of the html is proceeeded by its size in hex - perhaps this is the format browsers expect it in? For some reason the browser just doesnt 'get' that it is http code

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:39:54 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b
Cache-Control: private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0
Expires: 0
Pragma: no-cache
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.3.3
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=98
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

<html dir="ltr">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

3a
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">

<title>OVAS :: Read message</title>

<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/ovas/ovas.css" type="text/css">

ETC...

TBarb

I never had problems with IE. Some with Opera.

squeeker

squeeker

I use IE, and I have seen the white pages.

I use the forum at home and at school, I have had it happen to me in both places, both using IE.

Looks like it isn't browser-specific.

s0me

This is a common problem with the Mozilla based browsers. Mainly due to the incorrect "chmod" of the particular page attempting to be viewed.

Do a search on google, and you will see that this is a common error.

Marc

Quote from: "s0me"This is a common problem with the Mozilla based browsers. Mainly due to the incorrect "chmod" of the particular page attempting to be viewed.

Do a search on google, and you will see that this is a common error.

Any idea on how this can be corrected?  These are pages created on the fly by phpbb.  Is there something I can add to the page header that can help?

Marc

Marc

Speaking of Firefox, version 1.01 has just been released.  This version fixes some security issues.  Firefox users should upgrade.

Marc

328iGuy

This is an issue when using a Mozilla based browser.  I get them all the time as well as I use Firefox.

If you dont like them, you are going to have to use IE for this forum.

I am not sure if any recent updates of phpBB might have a fix or not, I would imagine they would.

Marc

The most recent version of phpBB came out just a few days ago and we'll be upgrading soon. We're currently using the version just prior to that one.

328iGuy

Quote from: "Marc"The most recent version of phpBB came out just a few days ago and we'll be upgrading soon. We're currently using the version just prior to that one.

Check the release notes to see if the fix is included.

blueturq

Yes I do have this problem and it comes up when I am using Firefox.

Just hit the F5 key on your keyboard (it's a shortcut, that refreshes the page, rather than clicking a button to refresh).  I guess I am just lazy lol :roll:

If you are posting and you click to send it and you have this error, you don't need to hit the back button or restart your post, you just have to refresh the page (it'll go through).

This problem just happends at random though (not just after you post).  Heck, sometimes the error doesn't come up after I post!

dannypd

I am using IE6.

This is NOT TO DO WITH CHMOD!

If I look at the 'source' of these white pages, I see them as well.

I *THINK* it has to do with the actual server, how many active connections are allowed?  If its TWO (2) (EXAMPLE ONLY), and three (3) people try to post, one will be timed-out...

328iGuy

I just installed the new released Firefox 1.0.1 and I have not had the issue again since and it is like twice as fast.

Check it out people!  8)

Jim

blueterq,
I do the same refresh the page and it will go through. But this doesnt happen often. Im using IE.

dannypd

If I hit F5 (refresh) in IE, I get:

"No post mode specified"

blueturq

Quote from: "dannypd"If I hit F5 (refresh) in IE, I get:

"No post mode specified"

really?

hmm. that's very strange.

What you could do is fire up a back up plan. (I know it may sound ridiculous but hear me out).

Highlight the message you are typing, EVERYTHING in your message, even the tags like Quote or something, then right click on the highlighted stuff and then click on copy.

DO NOT cut.

Then what you do is open up a word proccessing program such as Wordpad or Word, then you hold down the ctrl key and the v key and then let go!, and it should there!.

If you end up clicking to send your message and it goes through succesfully then great!, if not then you at least have a copy of it to try again! :D  

Hope this helps.

dannypd

lol, I copy the message before posting.

If it doesn't work, I go back, PASTE and voila.

No need for middle program.

fishycanuck

It's that "keep alive" part that always bothers me..... I get the white pages whether using IE or Explorer. It happens whether or not I am looking from home or work (shh!), about 10% of the time.
Go figure.