New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Unread messages flag

Started by Hookup, May 18, 2010, 03:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hookup

Many messages are not clearing the read/unread messages flag when I use the 'mark all messages as read'.  If I go to the individual message it clears the flag.

As of yet I have not seen any pattern in which messages are getting "stuck" and which ones are not.  It does appear that once a thread is in this state it doesn't stop.

here is one thread that has been stuck for a while: http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=44682.0;topicseen

HomerJ

Are you sure?  That thread has had 12 replies today.  Is it possible someone replies after you mark as read... and it's unread again?

Hookup

technically it's possible... but it's happening to 8 or 9 threads and the "test" is simple.  Click "mark all as read", then click "show unread posts since last visit" and you get the same list... repeat as often or as fast as you want, it's always there...

Brent Shaver

It could be in the code.  The Mark all read button clears the page so it clears the ones you dont feel the need to read.  Now possibly the check unread button will actually pull any post that your IP hasnt physically went too.

Its just a guess, but would make sence.

dan2x38

If I understand you they are just not clearing when you press 'Mark All Messages As Read' that they remain listed? If so this is sort of a glicth with this software. If there is more than one screen full of unread messages and you are on say the 2nd page of messages clicking that link they will all clear. If there is just one page of unread messages try checking the box beside 'Last Post' then click 'Mark Selected Read' that should clear the list. I've always found teh other way it would clear them for me either.

I have found this as glitch in this software and not just on this website. Maybe I am missing what your issue really is though.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

JetJumper

Could be with your browser and cookies?  I use Chrome and have not come across this issue.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Hookup

Quote from: Brent Shaver on May 18, 2010, 08:19:37 PM
It could be in the code.  The Mark all read button clears the page so it clears the ones you dont feel the need to read.  Now possibly the check unread button will actually pull any post that your IP hasnt physically went too.

Its just a guess, but would make sence.

Prior to my account being banned by the executive, the functionality was clear and working.  Click "Mark all as read" then click "Show unread posts since last visit." would clear all of the messages from the un-read queue.  After the ban was lifted this "glitch" started to occur.

JetJumper

Nerine

mine sometimes show up sometimes not. think it's a glitch somewhere. Firefox sucketh at times with their latest update lol

I dont think it has to do with the ban
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

twisty

I have this same behavior consistently.
I select the Mark all as read... and click the read new...and all the same post are re-displayed.
If i select the "Select All Post" check mark and chose "Mark selected read" it clears the list.

Hookup

twisty

regardless of the workaround... this issue should be resolved.

JetJumper

I would say if they created the board then it would be easier to fix, but since if I am not mistaken its a SMF done board, have fun sorting through code! :)

Maybe check their Bug List.

garnpet

Part of the website upgrade is to use the most recent version of SMF - we are currently a few versions behind.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

JetJumper

Quote from: garnpet on May 20, 2010, 03:34:17 PM
Part of the website upgrade is to use the most recent version of SMF - we are currently a few versions behind.

Which will most likely help / fix the problem :)

ordi260

Quote from: garnpet on May 20, 2010, 03:34:17 PM

Good news!!!  Keep up the good work!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Hookup

gerryo

Never knew there was an unread message board. 

Brought up my unreads, clicked on Mark all as read, instant erasure.  Clicked on unreads again and the page was blank.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

Hookup

Yes, that is how it should work... Just it doesn't work for me... Several always left as unread...

JetJumper

I have had this happen to me once or twice..  I ended up selecting them using the select all feature then mark selected as read..
that worked for me.

Hookup

FYI, still an issue.  With the other issues reported thought maybe this could be related and help in debugging.

OVAS-Webmaster

As mentioned before, this will be an issue until I get the forum software updated.
Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

Hookup

As mentioned above, I thought it might be related to the current issues... And would help in debugging...

Sorry to have up set you.

Hookup

This is still an issue.

Clicking Show all unread

i get a list of messages

Clicking Mark ALL Messages Read

I get a cleared list... there are no unread messages.

I click Show all unread

and I get a list of messages.  

- i tried to create hookup-test account to see if it was account related.  so that's why you'll see the hookup-test account...
- i also switched laptops two months or so ago.  so i cannot imagine the issue is on the browser side, but i'm not familiar with all these technologies.

sas

I'm having the same issue, can't seem to mark all
messages read?

Hookup

This issue is getting to be a challenge... I now have about 25 threads and growing that will not mark as read...

How about deleting my account and letting me re-create it?

or some other brute-force plan of attack?

I tried to create the test-account (hookup-test) but i didn't get the authorization email... could have been spam-filtered out... not sure...

Are there any other suggestions?   In the pre-upgrade version there was a way to "Mark Selected Read" which was working... but that option, as already pointed out by dan, is gone from this new release.

Dorrie

Only have this problem with two threads, but maybe it's a fluke, haven't noticed this at other times since the update.

dan2x38

HookUp have you logged in from another location outside the home? That way it is different browser cache, different IP, different cookies and different system - period.

What browser are you using? Have you tiered using Firefox, Chrome or Opera but do not import anything from current browser. Maybe uninstall current browser and manually delete all folders and cache. Clean out all temp folders, backup favorites folder then delete it - finally reinstall your browser. In other words if you can't fix it get a bigger hammer like you said do the brute force method.

At home create a new user account. From that login try browsing OVAS.

I've had to do all of these steps at certain times in development at home because I corrupted something and couldn't  figure it out... :( At work I'd just blow away the partition and restore an image for my machine. I was the admin so had images of every system's setup in the infrastructure would take me 30 minutes than back in action. Even at home had to blow away my partition because I screwed things up. But we all know that is freakin' pain reinstalling everything.

Without the previous link 'Mark Selected as Read' makes it very hard to clear them now.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Hookup

I switched hardware Platforms from windows/Dell to OS10.5/Mac  no migration, it was a net new laptop.  Also, same happens on my iPhone and iPad.

Google Chrome, IE, Safari, Firefox were and have been all tested on all respectively available platforms. 

I have this issue on my gaming machine, my HTPC (Mac mini) as well.

The awesome web master is on it and helping. I'm sure he'll find a solution!  My suggestion was to delete my account and create a new one.  The tests so far seen to indicate this is a solution.

Hookup

Put this one to bed, it's way past bed-time!

Peter, you rock.  I know you spent some good time searching and trying many things and it looks like you've got it wrestled into a corner tapping out and crying for uncle!  boohyah!  8)

Thank you so much.  :) x 100

I'll let you share the technical details on the steps you took, but from what I understood, it was database over-driver was missing the flux-capacitor.  :P