New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Persona non grata

Started by BigDaddy, October 25, 2005, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

Latin for "an unwelcome person"

The moderators on this forum, and especially our esteemed webmaster, work very hard at making this forum what it is.

This board is an incredible way to exchange knowledge and information.  Its a great way to chat with like-minded individuals.

Let me go on the record as saying I'm one person who thinks policital correctness has gone a bit overboard.  BUT

The members have made it clear here that comments that are suggestive, lude, rude, insulting or degrading WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

If a comment is made in jest, it will likely be taken in jest.  If its meaning is less clear, don't be surprised if its deleted.

Please, if you see something that is blatantly not something appropriate on this board... advise a moderator.  We are pretty quick, but all the help we've gotten from the members in the past is much welcome.   :D

Marc

I too often think that policital correctness has gone overboard and when moderating this board I often find myself deleting or changing posts that don't offend me and probably wouldn't offend most adults reading these posts.

But I have to remember that these boards are for people of various ages, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, etc.  When in doubt about a post I ask myself "Would I want my 9 year old daughter reading this?"  If the answer is no then I have to do something with the post.

Marc

PaleoFishGirl

I'm agreed with the above, but am I the only one who kept reading on in BigDaddy's post thinking "Ooh, someone wrote something bad? Where?!"

Marc

Quote from: "PaleoFishGirl"I'm agreed with the above, but am I the only one who kept reading on in BigDaddy's post thinking "Ooh, someone wrote something bad? Where?!"

Yes someone wrote something bad and we had to use the delete post option a lot.  It wasn't terribly bad but he was unrepentant and wouldn't see the error of his ways plus we had strong reason to believe he was someone who has already been banned for writing some terribly bad things.

Some of you saw some of the posts but most will have missed them because they were deleted.

Marc

repeej

He has since turned to the dark side of the force....and shall now be known as Darth Beardy.

Shouganai

The username in question makes me think of the slang for Bearded Dragons.. I would like to see a bearded dragon dressed up like Darth Vader for halloween!

Sadly, I have a bearded dragon calendar on my wall, and this month's image is a beardy dressed up like a pirate.. hehe

garnpet

I agrea with you BigDaddy.  

One of the main reasons that I like this forum so much is the level of civility.  People are on this forum to help other people.  Most likely this is due to the fact that we bump into each other in person every once in awhile.

There is enough wasted bandwidth on the internet!  Let's keep our forum a couple of notches above the others.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Aiglos

Quote from: "Marc""Would I want my 9 year old daughter reading this?"  If the answer is no then I have to do something with the post.

Excellent post;  Very true;

cichlidguy2

I caught what I think is the post being referred to here,  without reposting the exact words, I have to say it seemed to me to have been made in light humour in regards to a previous comment,  and I took it lightly, and laughed.  Would I want my kids reading it...no, not really.   Perhaps it could have been worded diferently, though if I remember correctly there were no "bad words" involved , simply in reference to....Still I don't think it was rude, insulting or degrading

aidensmomma2000

I suppose what could also then be taken into consideration by the poster is if the innuendo is dense enough that a child would not understand, and of course that it didn't involve words considered offensive if repeated out of context (ie: the word "bed" it not in itself offensive).  Kids are famous for asking "Mom/Dad/(or worse, grandparent/teacher), whats a ____? "

BigDaddy

As was previously mentioned... the person in question was likely someone who had been banned in the past.

manytanks

As a former moderator of a national BBS (remember them?)  and a dad of three kids, I completely understand the need for "Eternal vigilance!" (Professor Moody, Harry Potter series). I have no complaints whatsoever with the excellent work being done by our moderators, and really appreciate the level of commitment and time required.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for helping to make/keep the board what it is for all of us.

Julie

Cheers to the webmaster; just don't talk to him when he's working.
Keep up the excellent work.

Julie

pegasus

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"............. Kids are famous for asking "Mom/Dad/(or worse, grandparent/teacher), whats a ____? "
I do take offence to this statement. Please Webmaster, erase this post.  :)  :wink:
Should I find this politically incorrect?

fishycanuck

Have I missed something? I don't see what's wrong with it... I know that I had a more difficult time explaining reproduction to my son in the bank lineup than it would have been at home.... and I would prefer them to ask me to clarify something than for them to ask their grandparents or teacher..... I doubt very much that aidensmomma intended any offence.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "fishycanuck"Have I missed something? I don't see what's wrong with it... I know that I had a more difficult time explaining reproduction to my son in the bank lineup than it would have been at home.... and I would prefer them to ask me to clarify something than for them to ask their grandparents or teacher..... I doubt very much that aidensmomma intended any offence.

pegasus was joking fishy....

Marc

Quote from: "fishycanuck"Have I missed something? I don't see what's wrong with it... I know that I had a more difficult time explaining reproduction to my son in the bank lineup than it would have been at home.... and I would prefer them to ask me to clarify something than for them to ask their grandparents or teacher..... I doubt very much that aidensmomma intended any offence.

Pegasus put a  :)  :wink:  next to his post.  He was just teasing. :)

fishycanuck

I think I'll go have another drink....

Julie

Hey that's not a bad idea.  There's a free wrestle night on tv which I am passing on.

Julie

Mettle

I for one don't think the level of political correctness asked of people in society today is too overboard. People think it's such a drag that they have to change the way they speak (getting rid of sexist comments that degrade women, not using offensive labels for minority/oppressed groups) but really that is what political correctness is. A call to change our views through changing our speech... Cloaking some of the things in humour is often a denial mechanism as well. 'Oh. But it was just a joke!' And then also tossing on the fact that 'My insert minority/oppressed group here friend laughed at that joke' and/or 'found it funny too!'... Not necessarily. I could go on for a really long time about this but figure it's best not to. I've given my $0.02 on the matter.

I think the mods are doing a good job here.