New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Persona non grata

Started by BigDaddy, October 25, 2005, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

Personally, I see PC as having a lot to do with respect and compassion.

Sometimes people genuinely don't realize something is going to be offensive- I think that happens to everyone, we stick our feet in our mouths without realizing it or we just don't know a better way to put it. I'm sure I do it daily.  :wink:

I think think the problem stands were people are genuinely insensitive- they know it might hurt someone but don't care, due to lack of respect for that group/individual. They lack the compassion to make the effort to try and understand the position of the other.

On a seperate note, Stephan (Mettle) made a great connection between language and attitudes: "A call to change our views through changing our speech". There is opposition towards such things as gender neutral language to break down gender boundaries, or the secularization of classroom material to diminish the exclusion of non Judeo-Christian groups. This is one way majority groups, often unconsciously, maintain the stranglehold on normative attitudes though language.

*I will add though that this was not in any way a direct attack at those who reject gender neutral language or wish to retain religion in public schools- I use those only as examples of maintaining norms though language.

I'll be quiet now  :D