New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NEW SERVER

Started by Marc, February 23, 2006, 08:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

The OVAS website has moved to a new server.

dannypd

...can we have the new IP# posted just incase?

...can someone setup a quick account on dyndns.ORG for the "slow" servers (videotron, freenet, 2.95, etc)...?

Marc

The new IP won't help because the website code contains references to ovas.ca.  Also, it's shared IP hosting so without the domain name in the address it doesn't work.

Marc

Quote from: "dannypd"...can someone setup a quick account on dyndns.ORG for the "slow" servers (videotron, freenet, 2.95, etc)...?

We're wont be changing the DSN at the registrar, we're already using an external site (zoneedit.com) for DNS so the switch over should be pretty quick but some ISP's do cache IP addresses.

s0me

As a suggestion to ease the transition of DNS from one server to the other, clients can change their existing DNS to: 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

These are root DNS servers which update more frequently than your ISP which caches.

Marc

Quote from: "s0me"As a suggestion to ease the transition of DNS from one server to the other, clients can change their existing DNS to: 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

These are root DNS servers which update more frequently than your ISP which caches.

Cool.  I didn't know this.  Do you use these all the time?

s0me

Quote from: "Marc"
Quote from: "s0me"As a suggestion to ease the transition of DNS from one server to the other, clients can change their existing DNS to: 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3

I use it at home. Rogers has a horrible habit of cacheing DNS for so long that I switched over months ago.

Marc

Quote from: "s0me"
Quote from: "Marc"

I use it at home. Rogers has a horrible habit of cacheing DNS for so long that I switched over months ago.

Chris, thanks for the tip, I've updated my router settings.

Marc

P.S.  Not everybody is at the same level of technical proficiency.

If you don't know what we're talking about with all this DNS talk don't worry about it.  The switch over should happen pretty quickly for most people so there is no requirement to change anything at your end.  

I don't want to be held responsible if you wander into your Windows settings and disable your internet connection.  :shock:

I will add to the front page in the server change announcement a message to tell you which server you are accessing.

dannypd

Quote from: "Marc"P.S.  Not everybody is at the same level of technical proficiency.

If you don't know what we're talking about with all this DNS talk don't worry about it.  The switch over should happen pretty quickly for most people so there is no requirement to change anything at your end.  

I don't want to be held responsible if you wander into your Windows settings and disable your internet connection.  :shock:

I will add to the front page in the server change announcement a message to tell you which server you are accessing.

That's probably the best idea, infact, an awesome idea mirrors should do in the future...

s0me

I have made a quick and dirty how-to for anyone who does wish to change their DNS settings.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will try to answer any questions or comments you have!

Have a great weekend.

Aiglos

HOW COME THE SERVER WENT DOWN ALL DAY !!!

;-)

Mila

I'm in
Good work, guys. Thanks.

artw

the extent of my internetknowledge:
Me click on little blue E icon
Me go to ovas.ca
Me start posting
Me want food

Roop

fyi to those using 4.2.2.3 and 4.2.2.2 on rogers, rogers has corrected their DNS issues and their servers are now as fast, if not faster than the ip's mentioned above.

s0me

Quote from: "Roop"fyi to those using 4.2.2.3 and 4.2.2.2 on rogers, rogers has corrected their DNS issues and their servers are now as fast, if not faster than the ip's mentioned above.

While that may hold some truth, the fact is that the aforementioned DNS servers are root DNS servers which propogate much more frequently than Rogers cached DNS.

Just a thought.

darkdep

A note to all:

Some of you are noticing an error being generated on some posts and PM's like this:

---
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
---

Note that this does not actually indicate your message was not posted/sent; it has to do with email notifications.  A lot of double-posts are popping up because of this.  If you get this error, don't repost your messages.

It is an issue I am working on and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

PaleoFishGirl

Anybody else notice that the site is reeeeeeeeeeaaal slow? Is this because of the new server?

mseguin

I haven't had any problems other than the one mentionned by darkdep.

Shouganai

The only problem I am noticing is the issue we had before with the timeouts or whatever that resulted in spitting out a white page of code instead of a properly loaded page.