New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rating system for buyers/sellers

Started by BigDaddy, March 08, 2006, 01:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

I have noticed over the past few months that many buyers/sellers (more so sellers) are becoming very irrate with people who agree to a transaction and then fail to live up to their part of the agreement.

This is an awesome board with people who are selling gear at SIGNIFICANTLY lower pricing than what you'd see in Pennysaver/UsedOttawa etc...

Please, do not post about an item if you have absolutely no interest or intention to buy.  Also, if you do agree to buy or sell an item, FOLLOW THROUGH.  I have personally seen bewildered members walking around outside the monthly meeting looking for someone, or read numerous items coming up for sale on the boards "again" after a buyer backed down.

On other boards, moderators have implemented a rating system similar to eBay's feedback policy.  If things continue to deteriorate, maybe I will speak to our webmaster about the feasibility of establishing one here.

Again... OVAS provides this forum for people to buy and sell and does not moderate those transactions.  However, if the reputation of the board or the club becomes negatively impacted, then maybe a rating system might be in order

BigDaddy

Oh... and your input/insights would be more than welcome.  In all fairness, please do not list specific users or transactions (we don't need a flame war here) but your general experience and/or views

aidensmomma2000

I have found people overall to be great! Most of the time if someone hasn't shown it's because I've given bad directions and they got lost!  :wink:

DonCorleone

It hasn't happened to me, but I know that another member on these forums has been stood up a few times, or when going to pick up, was informed it was sold already....  :roll:  I'd also like to see people sell on a first call/PM first serve basis, but that'd be hard to regulate. I'm in favour of this rating system, can't do anything but good IMO.

mseguin

As to the first call/pm, the seller has every right to sell to whom they want. After all, if the first pm i get wants to know if I will drop it in Kanata, and the second says they'll pick up, then guess who's getting it?

oenology

I think this could be interesting but we'd have to be diligent in filling out the ratings for it to mean anything. I am presently experiencing the 'deja vu thing' with someone on this board - I said I'd buy his fish and I see them up for sale again. Very annoying. I can understand that there are situations where you might change your mind but then let the other person know so they can look elsewhere.

aidensmomma2000

I know on ebay I've received negative feedback when it wasn't warranted such as retaliation feedback. I've also been afraid to leave negative feedback because of this.

I can also see disagreements being played out with the points system too- people forming negative opinions of other based on a one sided account.

Wouldn't there have to be some way to register all transactions then (including pending pick ups)? It seems there would have to be to avoid people leaving positive or negative feedback without a transaction.

Aiglos

I think people are pretty good and do not think we need a rating/feedback option on this site.  

I think most of the problems come from lack of communication or lack of knowing the person face to face. (Ie  look for a guy with brown hair 5'10 wearing blue jeans at the meeting )

BigDaddy

As far as a feedback system goes... there are third party sites like Heatware, a private traders' evaluation and reference site used by members of various BBSs.  When I moderated on a case moddin' site, many members preferred to use heatware more to establish their own credentials rather than pointing out the flaws of others.

As I said, its not something I'm proposing.  God knows, there's enough work being done by the volunteers for this club as it stands.  But if the trend continues... it may become an option.

An Aiglos... I hear ya... but buy the same token my perception from those on the forum is there's far more people backing out or simply no-showing than you think...

Communication is important yes... for example CA1 and I have been trying to hook up to get a filter sold... but we are both really bad at scheduling.   :lol:   But he knows I'm still buying it, and I know he's still holding it for me.  Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like people are being up front when they make a committment to buy or sell.

Mettle

Did my post get deleted from this thread?  :?

pegasus

The solution is simple:
Make all transactions and pick-up scheduling on the thread instead of pm

luvfishies

I like the idea of some sort of feedback system. Stijn over at applesnail is working on implementing something similar.

pricenetwork.ca has a user feedback system in place, but I don't know if they're using the same forum software. Might want to check it out, though.

Sailfin

A rule that needs to be hit into some heads on here, is STATE THE PRICE!    :lol:    People post an item, no price......you post them the question of their asking price, you don't get what you asked for, it's more like you get a question back.   Ask a question, and get answered with a question   :roll:    If they don't want to state their price, then the thread should be deleted.   One person yesterday, put a thread for a 45 gal....he said best offer.   I started the offers at $1   *LOL*  But I deleted the response before I broke his heart and he got offended.

aidensmomma2000

I think with that rule its mostly a case of people knowing they're supposed to.

Seanc

I agree there is to much best offer stuff, but this is already a rule, you have to have a price.

I think that this is a geat idea, if our form wasn't so small, and such a tightly knot comunity, word gets around pritty fast about stuff you did wrong. Also some times you make a mistake about some thing, say you want it then don't need it because of something, this is not your fault, you ar not going to spend an extra $30 on something that you don't need, just to keep your rateings up.
this is an importand dicision, and I don;t think we should do this just yet. We are not big enough to suport somthing like this, and some one will proboly abuse it.

james

Hi
Yes a price should be posted when selling. But,  also one should not knock ones price. Make a offer ! But one should not make remarks about it for being to much! or over priced. If its too much don't buy it. Does anyone complain about a item that is posted too low!

James :D
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

repeej

Quote from: "james"Hi
Yes a price should be posted when selling. But,  also one should not knock ones price. Make a offer ! But one should not make remarks about it for being to much! or over priced. If its too much don't buy it. Does anyone complain about a item that is posted too low!

Agreed.  Serious buyers will always try to bargain in PM's.  Only the thread crappers will bitch and complain about prices in the actual thread.

darkdep

Although not a solution to the whole problem, perhaps we can dream up a better way to have transactions happen at the meetings.  I've been approached at every meeting by someone who wanted me to point out "so and so" to them, as they were supposed to hook up for a sale.  I don't really have a suggestion on HOW to do this, but it can't hurt.

I have to say, I actually strongly disagree with a rating system.  On Ebay, the rating system is virtually useless.  EVERYONE has a 100% or near 100% rating; those that don't just don't sell or buy things.

I see something like this as something that could be abused much quicker than it would help.  Right now, our classified ads forum is just a billboard that anyone can post to.  If we wanted to do a rating system we'd need to actually have OVAS somehow manage the transactions.

I don't think a rating system on users will do anything except drive people from the site.

babblefish1960

I concur, if it comes under this sort of control, then it is no longer a corkboard, and could attract scrutiny under some bureaucracy that would serve to quench the autonomy and the easy trading.

Keeping it simple, and trading in good faith, requires co-operation from us all. Following the rules of the road would help everyone drive safely.

Railings on bridges aren't there to control us as much as to make us feel more secure and to keep us from going over the edge.

pegasus

Quoteyou ar not going to spend an extra $30 on something that you don't need, just to keep your rateings up.
Sorry, did that and kept my word, then put the unwanted piece back in the classifieds just as if I would have lost my deposit.
The rating is already done by word of mouth, just don't think it has its place on this forum.

james

Hi
This is a small close knit  groups with the same interest. I have no problem with a person changing his mind on something. Just post back or call and say so,
Its better than promising to take it and not show up for the item at such a time. I waited over a hour at one time .

That's why through time you will develop a feeling on who to deal with with confidence  both buying & selling on the site. I would say 90 % of the time its been cool

55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

garnpet

I think the offenders are well known to everyone who has tried to sell something on this board or who has followed any of the threads.

Now, when I try to sell something and those people express interest, either they are ignored or given a short deadline to show up with the money.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Nelson

I've sold MANY items on the classifieds and bought quite a lot as well.  I can say I've never had a problem closing a deal.  There have been occasions when it's been difficult to contact certain folks who have committed to a purchase, but it's never been a deal breaker.  

The OVAS site is only a vehicle to facilitate a sale - how smoothly the transaction goes is between the seller and the buyer and should not be of concern to OVAS, unless of course OVAS, as an organization, is directly affected somehow.  

Let's not be so eager to put rules in place or over-manage the board - we're not that big yet.  

My two cents, Nelson

discusFans

I agree with Nelson. We can't compare OVAS site to others such as Ebay. They are commercial, and they are making money out of their transactions. The objective of OVAS site is to help ppl in/around Ottawa area to sell/buy aquarium related items, just like a newsgroup.

Personally, my experience on this board is very good. Keey this going, everybody! :>

FishBuddy

Hey Folks,

Talking about buying and selling stuff on this forum, I just ran into a 'no so happy' situation last night and this morning...  

First of all, I won't mention any names here but I've sent this person 'my 2 cents' regarding buying and selling stuff here...  I've agreed to buy an item late last night; the person replies to me right away and said the product is sold to me and will call me tonight to arrange a time to pick up.

Then this morning, to my surprise, I got another PM from him/her saying the item was sold...  Not to make a big fuss on an item that's only a few bucks, but to me, it is a matter of 'principles'.....  

I was debating on this idea for a while, but now I've made up my mind..  It's not a bad idea to have a buyer/seller rating system.....

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

pegasus

Word of mouth FishBuddy.
Same thing happen to me last week, when another member told me he had a similar dealing with this seller we decide not to deal with him again.
I'm not much for a rating system but more toward a Better Business Bureau, where complaints could be evaluated, but that would be too much work for this forum. :cry:

FishBuddy

You are right Peg, word of mouth goes a long way :-)  We do the same when we buy cars from a dealership, etc....

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

Roop

i am against a rating system like heatware or ebay's feedback system. as stated by many other, this site is simply not big enough to require it.

i would consider a complaint system to weed out repeat offenders, but as said above, it's tight knit here. someone screws up, everyone knows. if a seller (specific case) repeatidly relists an item after buyers have agreed to pay, people will start to ignore that seller. plain as that.

i have only had one misfortune here after the countless good buy/sells so i wouldn't deem any feedback system necessary.

yellowtang

I honestly think that there are lots of tire quickers here at the club (sorry for comparison).but if one is serious about buying an item why not follow through with what has been agreed on.
I find that when placing items for sale there are lots of pm s
sent ,people asking questions, bargaining on prices,descriptions and even pictures........once all information is sent one can expect at times to never hear from them again
the question is. If serious about buying items.please be sure you're are really serious about what you 're asking about.
as sometimes one holds a certain item for an individual who has agreed on purchase and at the  end not ever hearing from those persons at all.
thanks
and hope it makes sence.
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

mseguin

Underwater

UCGrafix

Hi everyone,

Before anything else, let me tell you that this is a great Board / Forum, keep it a fun Board / Forum with quality aspects, don't leave any room for the abusive ones to take advantage of.

From experience, adding system points to sellers and buyer will only create bitterness among members, pretty much the same way that Charma can be abused, and no one wants that.

With the new look of the Board / Forum, I see a lot of time and effort put into this, I also see a lot of people with great qualities that can add positively in many ways, in posting new threads, replying to others, by sharing there experience and know how, I see great things happening in the future, if everyone shares positively, and keeps a common goal, " Building / Growing / Quality ".

Simple guidelines should be posted, and if not followed, moderators should send a warning, than delete the post and or thread.
Forum rules should to be followed.

Regards,
Denis

dannypd

Quote from: aidensmomma2000 on March 08, 2006, 06:46:30 PM
I know on ebay I've received negative feedback when it wasn't warranted such as retaliation feedback. I've also been afraid to leave negative feedback because of this.

I can also see disagreements being played out with the points system too- people forming negative opinions of other based on a one sided account.

Most of the top sellers flare up their own feedback.

When an item is almost done its lifecycle, they will buy it themselves and leave +1 feedback...

Aucus

Hi everyone, as everyone knows I am fairly new here. I add a change to deal and trade whit a couple of ppl. I know I ask many question since I am never too sure what I need or can have. Many members have been very patient and explaining alot wich I greatly apreciated. Up to now there was only one situation that I was prety dissapointed on how thing whent.. But I agree that we should not pass bad coment on ppl here since one bad move and you are done..
BUT I would have a sugestion :) why not say it in a dedicaded post when we add realy good experiance whit a seller or buyer... ??? what do you guys tink ?

new2H2O

FYI...the Canadian Gun Nuts forum put one in place and my hubby thinks its a REALLY good idea...says it has made a geat difference ad things are more pleasant

Zoe

Just an idea, why not a positive-only feedback?  On E-bay, the feedback really does get abused with the retalitory negative feedback.
Why not just allow buyers/sellers to post their positive experiences?  That way there is no whining or complaining or retaliation...

SuperT

I've noticed that they have done something like this over at simplydiscus.com only postive and 'constructive' feedback.

seems to have made a difference over there and most buyers/sellers like it.

Terry

pwrca

As someone who is new to this site; I did appreciate the Classified Ads.  I registered to the site on Sunday, found and aquarium & stock, bought it an now have it set-up.  I was pleased with the transaction and would have no objection to a rating system.  Reading through this thread, I find it astounding that someone would actually welsh on a deal; it is absolutely rude to raise exepectations and then not follow through.  A rating system would, simply make it clear what one might expect from either buy or seller.

markw

Unfortunately I have to strongly suggest a method of identifying individuals who consistently "play games" with the classified. I wish I could list here(without causing a major incident) the many members who have either emailed,Pm'd or phoned and said please hold it for me, or consider it sold or I'll be there this weekend or on and on. I've had members give me excuse after excuse about why they can't take an item, or just simply never return emails after promising. A list of violators(substantiated to the moderators with PM's and posts) should act as a deterent to those who make it very difficult to sell through this site. At least the courtesy of a email saying I'm no longer interested would be nice. If any of the moderators would like a list I will be happy to provide it to them.