New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank

Started by james, March 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james

Hi
Thanks for the support. Not forcing anyone to buy it. If you dont like the price fine. The tank is in very good shape and the chip is on the trim not the glass. You have to see it to make a judgement anyways.
I personally dont make comments on anyones stuff epecially if I'm not buying!
Thanks
James :D
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

redbelly1

to tell the tru th i was actually thinking of buying! im in dire need of larger tank as my 5 redbellys have outgrown the tank they are in now!!!!!!! But honestly if you want to throw a remark like that then i might as well go elsewere. Im sorry if you took my feed ofensivly but hey come on its kind of called bargaining.

repeej

Can one of the Moderators please cleanup all the useless posts in this thread?

Pretty sure James is entitled to ask what he wants for his tank without having to defend his price.

If he is in fact asking too much then lack of interest should dictate this.

babblefish1960

Please read the netiquette sticky on the lounge forum!

It is very well written, and is a good tool in understanding appropriate behaviour, it was very useful reading when I first joined the forum.

artw

repeej I dont see any thread crapping at all here. unless someone of the other Moderators deleted it.  all I see is discussion about a tank.

repeej

Quote from: "artw"repeej I dont see any thread crapping at all here. unless someone of the other Moderators deleted it.  all I see is discussion about a tank.

As stated in the posting guidelines: "If you wish to comment that the asking price for an item is too high do not do it in the classified ad, contact the vendor by PM or email."

I saw plenty of comments about his asking price.....that my friend is called thread crapping.

BigDaddy

Marx did thread crap.  I'll clean up the thread later on today.

repeej

Quote from: "zookeeper"I agree with the executive. No offence but this is a forum meaning people are free to post their opinions. Their opinion is that this is in no way a great deal and what is wrong with educating the people who may be interested that for 50 bucks more than can get a brand new tank? Big Al's in my opinion is a really expensive store so if they are selling this tank for 50 bucks more brand new I would go to the store too.

Please read this:  http://ovas.ca/bridge/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5106

mseguin

I cleaned up the posts.
Zookeeper: You are right that people are free to post their opinions, but the rule we have for the classified is that it is not allowed to question someone's prices, or deprecate their product ("Thread crapping").

zookeeper

If you are bad mouthing about the product sure. But I don't see how stating you can get one for the same price brand new at a store is DEPRECIATING a product. This is being honest and saving people money. Imagine someone on a car forum selling a 1998 car for 20 000 dollars. Who would be crazy enough to buy it? Personally I think that educating other users and the seller by telling them this is a complete rip off should be allowed. That is called honesty. In my opinion if you don't want people to comment then post it some place other than a forum. Just my opinion though which I believe forums should be about. The only thing I believe should not be allowed on forums is ignorant people that are being rude, abusive ETC. Other than that was is a forum supposed to be for if not to post replies that include your thoughts? Perhaps you should take a close look at the foundation of forums.

mseguin

You are free to contact potential buyers and let them know about deals etc, or tell the seller you think the price is unfair but do it in pm. This part of the forum is the Classifieds and not a discussion section in the same sense as the other two.

zookeeper

I understand but again let me make another point. The last OVAS executive saw nothing wrong with the discussion that took place and you did. Again matter of opinion and you overturned his decision. Same as the classifieds. It is only an opinion and I don't believe it affects the image of the seller at all. As different people will have different opinions and more than likely it won't stop someone who is generally interested. Just as your opinion of the thread was different than the other executives. What is wrong is that someones opionion can be deleted by people like you. Last time I will use this forum due to the immaturity factors. Placing such contraints are completely unecessary and is a violation of the charter of rights called FREEDOM OF SPEECH. Rules ruin the fun of forums as forums should be full of opinion no matter what section. Anyways over and out FISH Lovers.  Have fun on your over ruled forums. I am going back to aquaria.com where the forums aren't controlled as much and opinion is appreciated.

repeej

zookeeper:  Thank you for all 4 of your informative posts.....good luck out there!

BigDaddy

Let me make something plainly clear here

BANNING THREAD CRAPPING IS A STANDARD PRACTICE WITH ALMOST ANY BULLETIN BOARD SYSTEM OUT THERE.

If you can not agree to the simple little rules in place to make transactions smooth (list a price, don't crap an no auctioning) then that's your business.

And last time I checked.. the classifieds on Aquaria never have anything other than the item in question as a post...

artw

regarding Freedom of Speech.  please refer to our Disclaimer:  We do not over-rule our Forum but we do have rules.  if you do not like them you are free to leave.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society shall have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor such content. The Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society shall have the right and sole discretion to edit or to remove any content whatsoever which it finds in its sole discretion to be objectionable for any reason.

The opinions expressed in the message boards are not necessarily (and in some cases not at all) those of the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society. The Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society is not responsible for any materials provided by users which are deemed harmful or offensive to others. The Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society is not responsible in any way for any injury, loss, or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided on its website. The Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society is not responsible for the content of any sites linked to from the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society site.

artw

and if someone wants to have a discussion about a post in the Classified Ads please crate a new thread in the Lounge or in Discussions and link to it.

thank you. :D

Aiglos

Quote from: "repeej"zookeeper:  Thank you for all 4 of your informative posts.....good luck out there!

Repeej  thank you for your 456 sarcastic posts.

repeej

Quote from: "Aiglos"
Quote from: "repeej"zookeeper:  Thank you for all 4 of your informative posts.....good luck out there!

Believe it or not some people appreciate my mild sarcasm.  I haven't even hit full stride yet.  :wink:

murgus

I don't usually wade into these...

In my opinion, it is not someone else's place to decide for me (or the seller) that the asking price is a complete rip-off.  Thanks, but I am an adult and I am quite capable of making up my mind on my own.

The seller has to decide what the item in question is worth to him/her.  Likewise, the buyer has to decide what the item is worth to him/her.  If they can come to an agreement on the worth a sale is made.  Otherwise it is not.

If you do not see the same value as the seller that is certainly your prerogative.  But it is not your right to crap on that asking price.  If it really is too high, the seller will soon find this out.  If it is not (regardless of what you think) it will sell and I dare say both parties will be happy about it.

Thanks,
Andrew

darkdep

Here's how it works folks:

- Person A posts an ad, with a price.
- Person B disagrees with the price.

Person B has 2 options:
- Do nothing.
- PM Person A to tell them what you think

If you think the price is too high, most likely others will as well.  You do not need to "educate" people.  As far as I'm concerned, if an item is $1 below the total retail cost, it can be posted and people can make up their own minds.

Let's look at it another way...let's look at the difference between "education" and "crapping":

Education: "Just FYI, I saw those new at BA for only about $10 more."

Crapping: "How much?  Yeah, good luck with that."

The first one will be appreciated by others; the second isn't.

Aiglos

Quote from: "repeej"

Believe it or not some people appreciate my mild sarcasm.  I haven't even hit full stride yet.  :wink:

I thank and you doubt Mr Repeej ?  Will be interesting to see what full stride brings. :p

repeej

Did James sell this item yet?  If not, where has his thread gone?

repeej

I thank and you doubt Mr Repeej ?  Will be interesting to see what full stride brings. :p

I appreciate the support....just letting all my fans know I'm just getting started.  8)

BigDaddy

It might have gotten deleted by accident during the split

I have pm'd james and graciously asked him to repost his item

Aiglos

Quote from: "repeej"Did James sell this item yet?  If not, where has his thread gone?

Repeej:  Mod censorship.. I blame art.  Art said if He can't have the tank then no one gets it.

babblefish1960

Variety is the spice of life.  If sarcasm is your only flavouring, then that's a pretty bland diet.

murgus

Quote from: "babblefish1960"Variety is the spice of life.  If sarcasm is your only flavouring, then that's a pretty bland diet.

Well said...

Thanks,
Andrew

artw

the tank for sale thread is still there. its just lower down the page now.

mseguin

Zookeeper: I hope you are not serious about quitting the forum on the basis of this. There are generally two posting rules on this forum: no thread crapping, and no rude or abusive behaviour or posts. I don't believe for one second that those are overly protective rules. We hardly ever delete posts in the Discussion sections, and then only for behaviour or language that is inappropriate in any venue, virtual or real. This is a vibrant and diverse community in large part due to the rules of behaviour implemented by the former webmaster. If you ask me, it was wildly successful,. I would hazard a guess that over 99% of this forum's members have never had a post deleted by the mods, basically by behaving with common courtesy towards others, (which I believe includes not crapping on someone else's attempts to sell). Aquariacanada represents another aspect of the diverse fishkeeping community, and I know they regulate behaviour on the board there as well. If you choose not to particpate any further on this forum, that is yuor choice, but I believe you will be missing out.

P.s. sorry for jacking James' thread.

repeej

Quote from: "babblefish1960"Variety is the spice of life.  If sarcasm is your only flavouring, then that's a pretty bland diet.

So is your choice of fish...so what's your point?

redbelly1

now now guys can't we all just get along???  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :o  8)  8)  8)

repeej

Quote from: "redbelly1"

now now guys can't we all just get along???  :lol:  :lol:  :D  :o  8)  8)  8)

This is the lounge....all bets are off.

darkdep

Ok folks, this thread is going nowhere except south, fast.  I think everyone's points have been made.  Let's move on.

DARKPHREAK

While everyones at it can I make a suggestion...

Can we limit our signatures to 1 line... 1 tank... I could care less if you have 2 empty 10g tanks or a hamster... this isnt a pissing contest is it?

Round 2... ding ding

repeej

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"or a hamster...

ARMAGEDDON!!!!

DARKPHREAK

Seriously though, who cares if you have a 30g tank full of 2$ fish or that you have a 20g fry tank... like its hard to breed these fish(they don't need help).

Signatures should be used by newbies to explain their tank and equipment so that the more "experienced" fish keeper can try and help diagnose any problems they are having.

Make a .html file, list your tanks and fish and upload it somewhere and have a "Click me" to see my tanks/fish...

Ding Ding

artw

I actually agree with Darkphreak
on a board I used to moderate we had a limit of 3 lines per signature

Jason

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"or a hamster...

ARMAGEDDON!!!!

OMG LOL I haven't thought of that since they used to play that on X-FM back in the day.  :lol:

I want to hear the full thing again. It must be avail online somewhere.
135g - Malawi Cichlid Tank
120g - Soon to be planted community tank
108g - Planted tropical tank

redbelly1

WWIIII!!!!!! Let the tanks be drained!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pegasus

QuoteSeriously though, who cares if you have a 30g tank full of 2$ fish or that you have a 20g fry tank... like its hard to breed these fish(they don't need help).
Seriously... I do and if there is a contest on this forum to whom is the best lines miser I would win by a large margin. - I quote only what is needed, I don't use empty lines freely, and I don't write to push my post count, even my avatar is not using it's full 100 pixels. So yes I use to think like DARKPHREAK but not anymore. I do want to see all that info as I read the post. Unless this .html is attach to your avatar, then I say keep the signature as it is. That's my vote!
BTW  I too have a rottweiler, I think my signature is long enough. :wink:

darkdep

I like reading sigs.  I like that I can see what people keep easily, it's fun.  To each their own.  I have a long sig, so I shrunk the font, but I like having it.

Anyway, our new forum (in development) has an option in your profile settings to not show other's sigs.  You can feel free to do that and feel better about the world :)

Aiglos

Pegasus has inspired me to add my signature :-)

Laura

I like the variety of signatures.  
I'm with letting people develop their own.  Much like the avatars, sometimes I pay attention to them and sometimes they're simply background clutter.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Seanc

I think the sing is important, It ads to ones personalitly, I also distinguish bettween people by their avatar and sing. If some one changes their avatar, I get totaly mesed up, and it takes me about a week to finaly get used to their new one. I also have a long sing, I don't mind when otheres have a long one, It helps you get to know what type of fish and other animals they like.

oenology

I like my sig even if it is too long - it reminds me that I'm responsible for all those lives so maybe I'd better get off my derriere and do some water changes:) plus I've contacted other people about the fish they have in their sigs to see if they have any fry available and I've made some neat contacts that way. Plus I'm not computor literate enough to be able to creat a link to my tanks or a good enough fish photographer to take pictures worth looking at - need to enlist someone:)

redbelly

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Make a .html file, list your tanks and fish and upload it somewhere and have a "Click me" to see my tanks/fish...

not that my sig is very large or even remotely descriptive, but i would still like to know how to make a link like this.

personally i dont mind the long sig's but it does seem like a contest sometimes. I really dont care how many empty tanks people have though. seems kind of silly to include those really...

gonna_b_no_1

I'm fairly new to posting here, and to be honest, I keep mostly livebearers, and I see these long sigs with names of fish I can barely pronounce!  But I don't see many with "29 g-200-300 guppy fry" ;)

gonna_b_no_1

Ok, mine is on now, and it doesn't look quite as impressive as all those ciclid names lol

aidensmomma2000

I dont see why this has to be a contest, and I don't think a tank's worth should be determined by other people.

"Seriously though, who cares if you have a 30g tank full of 2$ fish or that you have a 20g fry tank... like its hard to breed these fish(they don't need help).  "

This statement really bothers me. Everyone in the hobby is at different points, some people are just starting out and some people are happy with a small tank full of live bearers. It upsets me that there is judgement placed on others based on which fish they keep and how big their tank is. I've been part of on and off OVAS since I was ten (my mother was a member/president for a bit there and I used to go to meetings with her) and I've always felt a sense of elitism withing the group, and the above comment is a prime example of this.

I really feel this hinders people from participating in the community. How do you think people coming here for the first time are going to interpret comments like these? If I had a 20 tank full of live bearers I loved and wanted someplace to come and tank about it, it wouldn't take long before I felt judged and intimidated.

gonna_b_no_1

OVAS-ottawa valley aquarium society..not ottawa valley ciclid society

I didn't like that comment either.  I have livebearers, and for any person who is new at tanks, those are ones we suggest to try out first!  People are proud of what they have, be it a simple livebearer or a ciclid tank or salt water.  

Bragging rites should not have any limitations when it comes to the species of fish we keep! (or dogs, rats hampsters or kids!)

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Make a .html file, list your tanks and fish and upload it somewhere and have a "Click me" to see my tanks/fish...

I'd need a how-to on this!  :wink:

Aiglos

Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"I didn't like that comment either.  I have livebearers, and for any person who is new at tanks, those are ones we suggest to try out first!  People are proud of what they have, be it a simple livebearer or a ciclid tank or salt water.  

The fish I am most proud of are my Livebearers. they are great little fish and alot of fun !  No shame in them.

gonna_b_no_1

I posted some links on doing html files and some nice upload/hosting sites in new thread...if you need help don't hesitate to pm me!

mseguin

The sigs are a great quick source of information about your tanks, and your fish. This is a community, and as such, most of us have an interest in other people's hobby, wether its common interests or different types altogether. Even though I don't keep Africans, I like to see what cool species pegasus or oenology happen to be breeding at the time, or Woody's insane corydoars list. It also helps put other people's opinions into a little perspective as to what kind of fish they keep. As for fry tanks not being worth posting, well some people are just as proud of their cheap fish as of their expensive dicus, and rightly so. It's a hobby, not a competition, if someone wants to keep and breed fish others would consider simple, that's their prerogative. And come on, its not like these are graphic sigs taking up bandwidth.

pegasus

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"
I'd need a how-to on this!  :wink:
The easiest way would be to fill our profile and if the our sign have to go, and then maybe these profile would be the way to go.
My peeve... Why is our location info not a required info

I started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if we ever crossbreed them with cichlids.  :D

gonna_b_no_1

QuoteI started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if you ever crossbreed them with cichlids.

LOL  agressive guppy takes on 10 lb oscar and wins!   :lol:

Mettle

Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"
QuoteI started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if you ever crossbreed them with cichlids.

Not likely.

But maybe this can:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_289belonesox_belizanus_pike_livebearer.html

Aiglos

Quote from: "Mettle"
Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"

Not likely.

But maybe this can:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_289belonesox_belizanus_pike_livebearer.html

Belonesox Belizanus  is actually going to be my next breeding project ! VERY Cool livebearer.  Who says livebearers are whimpy !

Stingrays are livebearers.... :-)

gonna_b_no_1

Kool! and as for the guppy vs oscar..i agree it would never happen..or if it did, it would last as long as it would take the oscar to open his mouth... lol

Livebearers are great!  Ok, some are "do it yourselves" but others are more challening.  The halfbeak for example (a challenge I'm getting ready to try)

mseguin

There are other cool aspects to livebearers as well. For example, this summer I kinda want to try starting some linebreeding with Endler's to see if I can develop my own strain.

gonna_b_no_1

oooOOOoooo  I started with pure strains of guppies, and ended up getting alot of messed up fry (inbreeding?) and then I went with different males, and the fry I got ended up being some pretty weird ...but kool..looking crosses between blue tuxedo and yellow snakeskin.  This is my first "gen" of the mixes, I'm going to select a trio from those fry (who are similar looking and pretty) and breed those...and maybe in a few gens I'll have something that might just be impressive to look at or I could end up with some guppies that start to look more common.  

That is what I love about guppies in particular.  If you mix em up it's like getting a big surprise once the coloration comes in.

GhostKnife

How long does it take for the coloration to happen? I have about 25 fry (Guppies) and they all look like females??

gonna_b_no_1

I found it depended.  I had some fry born 1/2 black.  i had some that were 4 months old and only starting to color.  

What types/colorations do you have?  

I find the darker the parents, the earlier you notice the coloring.  Yellow parents, for example, had fry that didn't show coloring until they were larger (or I just didn't notice the yellow as much as the darker fry)

gonna_b_no_1

Sexing young fry is difficult.  Especially when they're tiny fry.  Wait a little bit, as they reach the 2-3 month stage you should be getting an idea on the sexes.  Odds that you had an only female drop are pretty slim...not unheard of, but slim.

GhostKnife

I have 3 male 2 are yellow and the third is a Tuxedo.

mseguin

I think it also depends on what kind of coloration it is. Black or dark colorations are the result of pigments, and can be partly manifested earlier, then fro example, the snakeskin pattern, which is usually partly pigmentation but large part scale and cell structure. But that's just my theory.

gonna_b_no_1

I know how hard it is to watch those fry, every day, and search for the first one who will have some color.  It seems like they will always look like these little sandy brown and never get any coloring at all.

I can't give you an age that the coloring will come in.  

This depends mostly on genetics, some strains get colour sooner than others.

For instance, my blue tuxedo fry had color almost from birth.

Rate of development makes a difference as well. If fry are kept in cool water with infrequent water changes and dry food only, they will mature at a much slower rate.  

Keep the heat around 72-74 degrees, vary their diet with bbs (can be bought in frozen cubes..or hatch your own!) and the powdered flake, and you'll notice them growing a little faster.
Any fry, be it ciclids or guppies, need clean water as well.  

I had the 29 gallon with about 200-300 guppy fry in it at one point and wound up doing a healthy 20% every few days.

GhostKnife

I have a bunch of black ballon mollie fry, also just got a bunch of dalmations,I was happy to see that :D
The first bunch are about 2 months old and I can just start to tell the sex,so I guess I will have to wait on the Guppies.

gonna_b_no_1

The dalmation fry, and I've only had one drop so far, are not too disimilar to the guppies.  I had one or 2 born completely black and the rest looked white.  I'm still watching to see them, as they grow, if they'll develop more defined spots or just stay the way they are.

GhostKnife

What do you do with all your fry?Do you supply any stores?

mseguin

That's one thing I like about the Endler's, I can usually tell them apart at abotu 1 month and the males have good colour by then.

gonna_b_no_1

Once and a while I'll bring some to the store I work at.  Other times I'll just sell a few here and there.  Brought some to the big ovas auction.  I don't have the space in my house (even with 20 tanks) to offer a constant supply of guppies to any store.  LOL  I recently sold off most of the ones I had, and kept a trio to breed.   Those fry, depending on the coloration and finnage, will either end up at work, or I'll sell them privately.

darkdep

Quote from: "pegasus"My peeve... Why is our location info not a required info?

This will never be a requirement.  Although most don't have a problem with it, some might consider it a privacy concern.

gonna_b_no_1

you could add it (location) to your siggy  lol

babblefish1960

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"I dont see why this has to be a contest, and I don't think a tank's worth should be determined by other people.

Way to go people, the "intimidation" was getting a bit much, especially for those of us who don't carry the "right" sort of fish as purported by the elitist among our ranks. Browbeating someone into a sense of shame for something they should be proud of is counter-productive, and quite frankly, hostile.

This is a fun hobby with much to learn from one another about what we do and don't know, and with communication such as is available to us here, the growing can be exponential.

This site is representative of a larger group of people with a common interest, creatures living in water support systems. Sure, we can't take our fish out for a walk, but they still bring us joy and pleasure, both in the responsibility of animal husbandry, and the "happy to see us" wiggle we get when walking past our tanks, no matter how bad our day has been. Even Attila the Hun's dog was happy to see him after a hard day's murder and mayhem. I'm sure his fish would have been happy too had he not been eating them.

I never saw the signatures as a contest or bragging rights, rather, they left me with a sense of where someone else's head might be fishwise, and an indication of who could also have expertise that could prove most fascinating.  

I personally do not choose to keep killie fish or Africans in my present tanks, yet I still find them fascinating and beautiful. We can see the much larger world in our living rooms in a vicarious fashion, something that would have been impossible for us one hundred years ago.

I do hope that everyone keeps their signatures.

Let's continue to share and keep the fish alive, and it might be nice to see more pictures of hobbyist's tanks, ponds, betta bowls......

darkdep

I don't think the sigs are a contest...I like seeing what people have.  It helps me personally get a headspace for the others on the forum, so when I have a question to ask I get an idea of who may know the answers.  Looking at sigs alone I see that pegasus breeds a lot of Africans; so that lead me to start asking him breeding Q's.  Others have SA Cichlids, which let me know who I could ask about those when I started there.  etc etc.  I also like seeing who the saltwater people are, so I know who I can ask when it comes time that I try that.

I find OVAS as a group decidedly UN-elitist as a whole.  It's the reason I joined in the first place.  I also don't see any "bragging" per se on the forums, ever.  I also agree with the comments where someone who is proud of a tank or a fish (WHATEVER it is) can display that in their sig, and good for them.  I think keeping any aquatic creature alive is a challenge and everyone should be proud of what they have accomplished.  I see the concept of livebearers brought up...I don't personally keep them, but it would be really dumb for me to think they were "lesser" in any way; I've never kept them and have no idea about the intricasies (sp?).  

We're not going to enforce any rules on signatures.  They are free to put whatever you want in there.  For those that don't want to read them, the new forum software in testing gives you the ability to turn display of signatures off in your profile.  That should make everyone happy.

My only suggestion:  For those with long sigs, consider using a smaller font size.

babblefish1960

I think a fortune could be made here for the club, for those of us whose eyes aren't what they once were, the club could sell ovas labeled magnifying glasses to make the teensy signatures legible :wink:

pegasus

Quote from: "darkdep"
Quote from: "pegasus"My peeve... Why is our location info not a required info?
This will never be a requirement.  Although most don't have a problem with it, some might consider it a privacy concern.
some might consider it a privacy concern I don't buy that one second! What's the privacy concern in posting your town as location? For one , check the classifieds... Do they expect that we do our pick up blindfolded?  :roll:

When I divulge that I'm from Aylmer, it's for courtacy and btw, there is no pegasus in the Aylmer phonebook.

mseguin

Plus Aylmer is so far out in the middle of nowhere nobody would be bothered to drive out there to pester you :-)

darkdep

Notice I said "some" might consider it a privacy concern.  Being online is all about anonymity to some people.  There are certain people who might not want their town displayed for personal reasons (i.e let's say you're trying to escape from an abusive relationship).  

No, there is no "pegasus" in the phone book.  But if I read a few threads by you I can easily pick up your first name, which combined with a town I could use to get furthur info to track you down.

As me, Chris, I think everyone should post their location, unless they have a personal reason to do otherwise.  As webmaster, I'll never make it a requirement to participate.  Really, if I did, and someone didn't want to post it, they'd just lie.

I am not promoting that posting your location is a danger, I'm promoting that it is a choice.

artw

I post my location, and in the past I have posted my exact address. phone number and buzz number. I have nothing to hide.  I am not saying anyone here does.  I can agree with the anonomynity factor.

darkdep

Exactly; Maybe nobody here does.  But, maybe we'll get a member in 6 months that feels they do.  That's all I'm saying.

Julie

Using my own name generally gets me in trouble.  :lol:
(though I have nothing to hide either)  I understand people wanting to remain anonymous.