New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank

Started by james, March 08, 2006, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I like reading sigs.  I like that I can see what people keep easily, it's fun.  To each their own.  I have a long sig, so I shrunk the font, but I like having it.

Anyway, our new forum (in development) has an option in your profile settings to not show other's sigs.  You can feel free to do that and feel better about the world :)

Aiglos

Pegasus has inspired me to add my signature :-)

Laura

I like the variety of signatures.  
I'm with letting people develop their own.  Much like the avatars, sometimes I pay attention to them and sometimes they're simply background clutter.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Seanc

I think the sing is important, It ads to ones personalitly, I also distinguish bettween people by their avatar and sing. If some one changes their avatar, I get totaly mesed up, and it takes me about a week to finaly get used to their new one. I also have a long sing, I don't mind when otheres have a long one, It helps you get to know what type of fish and other animals they like.

oenology

I like my sig even if it is too long - it reminds me that I'm responsible for all those lives so maybe I'd better get off my derriere and do some water changes:) plus I've contacted other people about the fish they have in their sigs to see if they have any fry available and I've made some neat contacts that way. Plus I'm not computor literate enough to be able to creat a link to my tanks or a good enough fish photographer to take pictures worth looking at - need to enlist someone:)

redbelly

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Make a .html file, list your tanks and fish and upload it somewhere and have a "Click me" to see my tanks/fish...

not that my sig is very large or even remotely descriptive, but i would still like to know how to make a link like this.

personally i dont mind the long sig's but it does seem like a contest sometimes. I really dont care how many empty tanks people have though. seems kind of silly to include those really...

gonna_b_no_1

I'm fairly new to posting here, and to be honest, I keep mostly livebearers, and I see these long sigs with names of fish I can barely pronounce!  But I don't see many with "29 g-200-300 guppy fry" ;)

gonna_b_no_1

Ok, mine is on now, and it doesn't look quite as impressive as all those ciclid names lol

aidensmomma2000

I dont see why this has to be a contest, and I don't think a tank's worth should be determined by other people.

"Seriously though, who cares if you have a 30g tank full of 2$ fish or that you have a 20g fry tank... like its hard to breed these fish(they don't need help).  "

This statement really bothers me. Everyone in the hobby is at different points, some people are just starting out and some people are happy with a small tank full of live bearers. It upsets me that there is judgement placed on others based on which fish they keep and how big their tank is. I've been part of on and off OVAS since I was ten (my mother was a member/president for a bit there and I used to go to meetings with her) and I've always felt a sense of elitism withing the group, and the above comment is a prime example of this.

I really feel this hinders people from participating in the community. How do you think people coming here for the first time are going to interpret comments like these? If I had a 20 tank full of live bearers I loved and wanted someplace to come and tank about it, it wouldn't take long before I felt judged and intimidated.

gonna_b_no_1

OVAS-ottawa valley aquarium society..not ottawa valley ciclid society

I didn't like that comment either.  I have livebearers, and for any person who is new at tanks, those are ones we suggest to try out first!  People are proud of what they have, be it a simple livebearer or a ciclid tank or salt water.  

Bragging rites should not have any limitations when it comes to the species of fish we keep! (or dogs, rats hampsters or kids!)

aidensmomma2000

Quote from: "DARKPHREAK"Make a .html file, list your tanks and fish and upload it somewhere and have a "Click me" to see my tanks/fish...

I'd need a how-to on this!  :wink:

Aiglos

Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"I didn't like that comment either.  I have livebearers, and for any person who is new at tanks, those are ones we suggest to try out first!  People are proud of what they have, be it a simple livebearer or a ciclid tank or salt water.  

The fish I am most proud of are my Livebearers. they are great little fish and alot of fun !  No shame in them.

gonna_b_no_1

I posted some links on doing html files and some nice upload/hosting sites in new thread...if you need help don't hesitate to pm me!

mseguin

The sigs are a great quick source of information about your tanks, and your fish. This is a community, and as such, most of us have an interest in other people's hobby, wether its common interests or different types altogether. Even though I don't keep Africans, I like to see what cool species pegasus or oenology happen to be breeding at the time, or Woody's insane corydoars list. It also helps put other people's opinions into a little perspective as to what kind of fish they keep. As for fry tanks not being worth posting, well some people are just as proud of their cheap fish as of their expensive dicus, and rightly so. It's a hobby, not a competition, if someone wants to keep and breed fish others would consider simple, that's their prerogative. And come on, its not like these are graphic sigs taking up bandwidth.

pegasus

Quote from: "aidensmomma2000"
I'd need a how-to on this!  :wink:
The easiest way would be to fill our profile and if the our sign have to go, and then maybe these profile would be the way to go.
My peeve... Why is our location info not a required info

I started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if we ever crossbreed them with cichlids.  :D

gonna_b_no_1

QuoteI started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if you ever crossbreed them with cichlids.

LOL  agressive guppy takes on 10 lb oscar and wins!   :lol:

Mettle

Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"
QuoteI started this journey, 40 years ago, with guppies and may end it with them also, maybe earlier if you ever crossbreed them with cichlids.

Not likely.

But maybe this can:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_289belonesox_belizanus_pike_livebearer.html

Aiglos

Quote from: "Mettle"
Quote from: "gonna_b_no_1"

Not likely.

But maybe this can:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_289belonesox_belizanus_pike_livebearer.html

Belonesox Belizanus  is actually going to be my next breeding project ! VERY Cool livebearer.  Who says livebearers are whimpy !

Stingrays are livebearers.... :-)

gonna_b_no_1

Kool! and as for the guppy vs oscar..i agree it would never happen..or if it did, it would last as long as it would take the oscar to open his mouth... lol

Livebearers are great!  Ok, some are "do it yourselves" but others are more challening.  The halfbeak for example (a challenge I'm getting ready to try)

mseguin

There are other cool aspects to livebearers as well. For example, this summer I kinda want to try starting some linebreeding with Endler's to see if I can develop my own strain.