New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Banned User

Started by darkdep, April 08, 2006, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

All,

I feel it responsible as webmaster to let you know when the executive has made a decision to ban someone.  You've given us your trust in managing this forum so I feel you should know our reasons for excluding someone.

cichlidsforme, AKA GreenTerror, AKA JackDempsey, AKA Beardy, AKA AfricanCichlids is the same person; he has a long history of irritating posts but has also made personal threats against users as well as made prank phone calls, etc.  A lot of childish behaviour that we do not want here.  

At this time, all of his known aliases have been banned and any new ones he creates will be banned as well.  We will be changing the OVAS account policy so that administrators must verify new accounts before they are allowed access to the forums.

As well, because of the personal threats and other reasons I can't divulge publicly, a file is being assembled and may be forwarded to the police for their investigation.

It is unfortunate that these events have occurred and I regret having to take these actions, but this user has left us with no choice.

Darkdep
OVAS Webmaster

Aiglos

s0me

Kudos to you. There is no room here for childish behaviour, this is a forum meant for adults to act in an adult manner. We don't need a rotten apple to spoil the bunch. I hope the "investigation" you will persue goes in your favour, it might teach this person a valuable lesson.

That being said, I finally took some time to go through our millions of flyers we now get here in Barrhaven and guess what? They have a smoker bbq at Loblaws!!!! and the wifey said I can buy one! w00t!!

artw

I got this PM from cichlidsforme (I was locking his threads this morning), he asked me why, and I told him he was a banned user.

To: artw
Posted: 08 Apr 2006 11:11
Subject: Re: hi  
im not sure why , im so confused ,big daddy is calling me jack and telling me im banned but i really have no idea what i did , my name is will coleman not jack , who can i speak with to resolve this issue , is there like an ovas number or something?

darkdep

He has sent similar messages to probably all of the executive and others.  

It's pretty rediculous actually, I mean, we're a bunch of fish geeks, and we have to deal with a guy like this :)

Anyway, I wanted it out in the open so people were aware of why someone was banned.

Seanc

Quote from: "darkdep"

cichlidsforme, AKA GreenTerror, AKA JackDempsey, AKA Beardy, AKA AfricanCichlids is the same person
What a persistant fellow,
Thanks for keeping this a safe, and fun forum, and once again kudos.

redbelly1

8)  8)  :D  :) !!!!! Keep up the security! so we can all feel comfortable on this site.....  

Much Appreciated! :D  8)

danrogers

yes keep it up , we dont need rude people who show disrespect here

danrogers

so what exactly do you think the police will do about a user posting such things under so many different ip's in so many different contries with so many diferent names? , is it posible to even do anything?
from what i saw he was a nice guy and had great advice

s0me

Quote from: "danrogers"so what exactly do you think the police will do about a user posting such things under so many different ip's in so many different contries with so many diferent names? , is it posible to even do anything?
from what i saw he was a nice guy and had great advice

Threatening a person is not held lightly by police. Be it online or in person, it holds the same.

Interesting that you are "very" new here and backing this person up *wink*

Proxies are a wonderful thing, only problem is... when you aren't smart enough to use a transparent proxy, your REAL IP is still showed :)

Shouganai

Quote from: "s0me"
Interesting that you are "very" new here and backing this person up *wink*

Yeah, its the same guy.. *wink*. rofl.

dannypd

Well, I keep getting banned myself from home....all my ips are no longer good.... I can only access ovas from work and school...

mseguin

Nice try danrogers.

danrogers

i never tried anything , just stating a point

Aiglos

Dan Rogers is actually Dark Dep trying to back himself up so we all think he is doing a good job as web master !!!!

:p

darkdep

You got me Aiglos.  I secretly think you all hate me and need to justify myself so you'll all like me :)

danrogers is banned now too...

This guy is such as script kiddie.

darkdep

Unfortunately, with the way the current board setup is coded, there isn't much I can do to prevent people from creating new accounts.  But that's ok, from now on I'm reviewing each new account and will ban those that are obvious.

Our new board (still in dev) will require all new accounts to be approved by an admin before they are allowed on; this should help a great deal.

s0me

Quote from: "darkdep"Unfortunately, with the way the current board setup is coded, there isn't much I can do to prevent people from creating new accounts.  But that's ok, from now on I'm reviewing each new account and will ban those that are obvious.

Our new board (still in dev) will require all new accounts to be approved by an admin before they are allowed on; this should help a great deal.

vbulletin instead of phpbb I hope? :)

artw

well its not phpbb I'll give ya that

s0me

Quote from: "artw"well its not phpbb I'll give ya that

I hope it isn't Invision, just as many holes as phpbb :(