New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new to the group

Started by Taltos, October 24, 2007, 07:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taltos

Hello Everyone
I am extremely new to the aquarium game.  My husband purchased a 10 gallon for my daughter, but she is not the least bit interested; especially after loosing a few fish.  I decided to take over and have loved it!!  I would love to upgrade when I have greater knowledge and skills.  Presently, I have 5 platies, two have red tails, and 3 are black.  they have been swimming around for about 2 months now.  I have had ups and downs with the water quality, but presently I am pleased with what I have accomplished.  I am now going to start adding some live plants to see how that goes.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to this enjoyable hobby!!

Laura

Welcome abord!
I just responded to your plant question in the other thread  :)

Most of us (with a few exceptions) started out with small tanks and then discovered we wanted more!  The classifieds are also great for picking up new equipment at reasonable prices.  In the long run you may want to consider a membership as you get great discounts at some of our sponsor stores.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Taltos

Thanks so much
I was about to look into membership - I think that this organization is great, and everyone seems helpful
Hopefully one day i'll have a nice big aquarium to play with :-)

garnpet

Quote from: Taltos on October 24, 2007, 08:20:50 PM
Hopefully one day i'll have a nice big aquarium to play with :-)

Welcome to the hobby.  You probably have TNBE syndrome - look out!  (Tank Not Big Enough).
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

BigMomma

Welcome Taltos  :)

I know what that feels like, its hard to stick to just a small aquarium. If you need live plants this is a good place to ask for them!

charlie

Hi Taltos , welcome to OVAS, you are certainly in the right place for help.The folks here are a great bunch & offer lots of free advice so ask away  ;).

This Sat. the club is having a guest speaker, would be great to see you there, details can be found below.
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=21212.0
Regards

busdriver

Welcome to the club, it's a great place to learn about anything to do with aquariums.
When I joined, seems like years ago, I was worried about asking dumb questions, I think it was Babblefish1960 said, "nobody ever asks dumb questions on this site.
So if you have questions, ask away.
P.S.

Don't be in any rush to buy a big tank, I did and found out later that I bought the wrong one, it's 30 inches deep and really hard to clean.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

beowulf

So guys and gals how long do we give her before MTS kicks in?  :D

BTW welcome!!!

Taltos

Hey......what is MTS?????

I gotta know :-)

sdivell

Multiple tank syndrom ...we all basically suffer from it.  ;D

beowulf

Quote from: sdivell on October 25, 2007, 02:05:26 PM
Multiple tank syndrom ...we all basically suffer from it.  ;D

Exactly, you start with that first 10g and next thing you know your like me with, now have an 8.8g nano reef, the original 10g as a grow out tank, a 30g, a 65g, getting a 90g tonight and already have a 110g.  And I am small....some people have whole basements or even apartments for their fish...

Taltos

Wow...guess I need to save my $....or go into debt!
Thanks everyone - I will definately be getting a bigger tank - right now I want to make sure that my plants live, and perhaps add a few more fish - if all that goes well - look out!

dan2x38

I've never admitted I have a problem. As I understand it admitting you have a problem is the first step. Well I now have 7 tanks and counting... no problem here...  :D   And De-Nile is not a river in Egypt it runs through the middle of my living room...  8)

Nice to meet you! If you need some plant clippings of easy plants to get started let me know. When I prune some your welcome to pick some up to get started with.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vizerdrix

Welcome!  I'm new here too, although I used to be a member of OVAS just over 10 years ago, and I will concur with the others here, BEWARE OF MTS!!! :D Of course, I'M sticking with my 65g and 5g for now.  But it's hard!!!  (Maybe hubby won't notice if I sneak a 90g into the bedroom...)

BTW, it's harder to maintain a small tank than it is a bigger one, as there is less water to buffer any changes, so the bigger you can get, the better!  Not that I'm encouraging you to get a bigger tank, no, not me...!  ::)   ;)

renadia

Let's see  ::), I started with a 300 gal pond
then bought a 55gal for the Koi
then bought a 75 gal for tropicals,
then a 10 gal hospital that now houses my sons fish  :D
Can't get anymore for now my hubby would think me crazy  ;D

Welcome and I'm in to bet on how long before she gets a bigger tank ;)

Have fun and welcome

Diane
PS: use Prime I'm converted they have brainwashed me  ;D

White Lightning

I know of this thing, they call MTS, that everyone is referring to. I suffer from it. I will eventually conquer this terrible illness once every available square foot is utilized for a beautiful and unique aquascape. I really don't think the Mrs. will allow that though. She has been understanding enough to allow a 60, 33, 25, 20 gallon tank. I even managed to sneak a betta wall into the basement.
On a side note....Busdriver, are you having trouble cleaning that monstorous tank of yours?

dan2x38

My wife has shut me down on the lower floor she says we need room for the Christmas tree - told her she can place presents under the tank & decorate it... LOL no sell... :(

Told her I will swap my 2 29s downstairs for a 90 and sell the 29s. But... ;) I am thinking sell one 29, 1 goes to the bedroom, & the 90 takes up the spot of the 2 originals...  8) always thinking might see me on an episode of Dr. Phil soon though... LMAO
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."