New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2011 Giant Auction

Started by White Lightning, February 10, 2011, 09:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

2011 Giant Auction
Our annual Giant Auction will be held at the  Jack Purcell Centre on Sunday the 6th of March starting at 12:00 pm.  Everyone is welcome - both OVAS and non-OVAS members.
Item setup and viewing starts at 10:00 am.  All items being auctioned off must be registered and present at the auction by 12:00.  No new items will be accepted after 12:00.

General information
All items being auctioned are placed on tables in the viewing area.  During the auction the tables will be auctioned off in a order.
If you wish to have your item(s) sold at the start of the auction, we will have a priority table this year.  The cost is 2$ per item and this fee must be paid before your item is placed on the priority table. 
For the Giant Auction the starting bid is $2.  If necessary, please group your items to ensure that your lots have a $2 value.

Raffle tickets
We will be selling raffle tickets during the auction.  $1 for 1, $2 for 3 and $5 for 10.  Prizes include a brand new 75 gallon aquarium, xxxx
Item registration
The following methods are available to register your items.

• On-line registration of your items.  Click here to submit your items for the auction.  If you have more than 10 items for sale, please fill out as many forms as needed.
  • PM me with your list – including the description and minimum bid.
  • If you do not pre-register your items, please download the OVAS item form , complete it and give it to me before 12:00.

The following items WILL NOT be accepted at this year's Giant Auction

• Used heaters
  • Used light bulbs
  • Plastic plants
  • Used/opened filter media
  • Used airline tubing

We are limiting the number of identical items that a single vendor can sell to 3 items, please group your items accordingly.  If you want to sell more than 3 bag of Val, you have the choice of either grouping your items to create 3 lots, removing the extra item(s) or donating the extra item(s) to OVAS.

Identifying your items
Pre-printed labels are provided for all auction items and will be handed out when you arrive at the registration desk.
For all items the starting bid is $2.00. If you would like to start the bidding for you item at a higher amount please indicate the minimum bid on your registration form. 

Packaging your items
Please package your items carefully!  Bags can leak, light bulbs can break, and fish can jump out of pails - just to mention a few possibilities.
All fish placed for auction must be in an appropriate container:

• Proper fish bags (preferred method)
  • Glass jars of an appropriate size (Acceptable, but should be avoided if possible for safety reasons)
  • Plastic buckets
Any fish placed for auction in an unacceptable container will have to be bagged at our Bagging station. OVAS will supply thick, heavy duty fish bags and will do the bagging.  Cost is $1 per bag, regardless of the number of fish bagged.  Anyone wishing to bring fish to the auction without proper bags are encouraged to bring their fish in a bucket, and we will happily bag them for you for the auction table.
Payment for bagging must happen BEFORE the auction commences.

Bidding
For those who are new to the club the auction works as follows:

• The auctioneer will read the lot number, description and starting bid amount.
  • Anyone who wishes to bid on the item is asked to raise their hand at the start of the bidding.
  • The auctioneer will increase the price and the last person with their hand raised wins the item.
  • All items must be paid for immediately after the bidding has ended for that item.  Payment and item pickup is done at the Treasurers location on the right hand side of the meeting room.

Auction fees
Any items preregistered before 8:00pm on Saturday the 5th of March will be charged a 25% commission.  Any items registered after this time will be charged a 35% commission fee for OVAS members, and 40% for non-OVAS members, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Donations
If you wish to donate the proceeds from any of your auction item please indicate this to me before the auction.  Any unsold donated items must be picked up after the mini-auction is over – OVAS will not be responsible for any items left at the meeting.

Vendor payment
Please see me after the auction to be cashed out.  I will provide you with a receipt which will be taken to the Treasurer for payment.  If you are unable to stay to the end of the auction please contact me and alternate arrangement will be made for you to receive your funds.

Note
Please respect your fellow club members - excessive talking during the auction is distracting to both the auctioneers and the people wishing to purchase items.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Randy

Nerine

Prize list so far! Will continue to update it !!
Thank you to our sponsors for their awesome donations!

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank

1000 Islands Aquaria $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp Tank
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

robt18

Are we going to have a going list of what's been registered for the auction so we can figure out how much to save in advance? :P

Fishnut

Just save one entire pay-cheque Rob :)

sas

Quote from: Fishnut on February 20, 2011, 11:21:41 PM
Just save one entire pay-cheque Rob :)

And bring lots and lots of Toonies and Loonies :).

bitterman

Quote from: sas on February 21, 2011, 02:08:59 PM

LOL soo true loonie snad toonies!!!!..... I don't bring many $$ to the auction as the better half would not be happy if I came home with another 125 gallon tank seeing I have 2 that are still dry,.... Or a ton of fish as my tanks are already over flowing with fish....

Bruce

Mike62

Quote from: bitterman on February 21, 2011, 02:59:05 PM
the better half would not be happy if I came home with another 125 gallon tank seeing I have 2 that are still dry
Bruce

Im still trying to convince the better half that a second tank would be a great idea and you get to have 2 that arent even in operation??? :'(
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

White Lightning

I do not have a lot of items regiastered just yet but I am sure that will change.

I figure that by Friday March 4th I will post a list of preregistered items as I should have a lot more by then.

bitterman

robt18

Quote from: fishnutJust save one entire pay-cheque Rob
Quote from: sas

You think I can get loonies and toonies out of one of my paychques? :D I wish!

I'll start saving the pennies all you you guys drop at cash here :P

sas

Quote from: robt18 on February 22, 2011, 07:25:34 PM

You think I can get loonies and toonies out of one of my paychques? :D I wish!

I'll start saving the pennies all you you guys drop at cash here :P

Awww we'll set up a jar for you Rob  :).

smalltownfan

Quote from: Nerine on February 13, 2011, 11:51:50 PM
Prize list so far! Will continue to update it !!
Thank you to our sponsors for their awesome donations!

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank
1000 Islands Aquaria $50 gift certificate
La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp Tank

I was in the neighborhood and dropped in to La Niche today to say hi  and see what was new. I saw the Fluval Nano Shrimp tank that will be one of the prizes. Marc Andre has a couple set up for his new shrimp section and that little 7.9g is a sweet little set up. 8) It's plug and play, it's that easy. Already trying to come up with excuses that I need two of them! ::) ::)

Check it out at http://www.fluvalblog.com/fluval-nano-aquariums-set-to-launch/ 
The complete PDF with all detais is at http://www.hagen.com/news/product_sheets/Aquatic/Fluval_Nano_Aquaria.pdf

I think this one will attract a lot of tickets for the raffle. Thanks Marc-Andre
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Jeff1192

Yeah those little tanks are awesome for sure. That's where all my ballots are going....haha. Too bad with my BBA outbreak I won't be bringing any plants for the auction. I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone else. It's too bad too because I purposely hadn't been thinning by twisty Vals. I had TONS of them. Oh well, when I get things cleaned up and they fill back in again I'll just have to bring them to mini-auctions.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Fishnut

Yeah...BBA SUCKS!!!  I was going to sell a lot of the vals in my main tan, but they got tossed or chopped down.  I still have some BBA-free tanks with some flame moss though, so I'll be bringing that.

smalltownfan

Quote from: Fishnut on February 24, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
Yeah...BBA SUCKS!!!  I was going to sell a lot of the vals in my main tan, but they got tossed or chopped down.  I still have some BBA-free tanks with some flame moss though, so I'll be bringing that.

Flame Moss! yay!
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

rockgarden

Remember that there is a dress code in effect :-) and the person who bought the last raffle ticket from me last year won one of the raffle prizes.  Is there some kind of relationship.  Heck, don't ask me.  I just volunteer to sell the raffle tickets so that I won't have as much time to bid. 8)

Can't remember what you wore last year. :-X :-\ :-*

Maybe looking here will help you with your memory: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2010/03/ottawa-valley-aquarium-society-annual-auction-2010/

robt18

I'll be selling a bunch of bushynose and maybe a few africans, so the more they go for the more I get to buy :P

Quotewhat Sue said :P

White Lightning

Hey Folks!

Friendly reminder to all those who intend to register for the Giant Auction....

Deadline is 8pm, Saturday March 5th. any items registered after this time will be charged 35% for OVAS members and 40% for non OVAS members. 

Don't procrastinate, register early. At present there are 51 items registered for the auction which tells me that there should be a flood of registrations coming closer to the deadline.

Also...just to let everyone know what door prizes there are so far....

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank (bare)

1000 Islands Aquaria - $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp tank

Aqua Valley - Tester kit ($32), Fish foods

Malyon18

I would love to see the list of registered items ;D, just wondering how many body parts I have to sell on the black market to fund my spending
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

wandmangels

Lunch will be similar to last year

Hot Dogs(all beef this year)

Or Smoked meat on a Swiss triangle

$3 includes drink