New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2011 Giant Auction

Started by White Lightning, February 10, 2011, 09:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Lightning

2011 Giant Auction
Our annual Giant Auction will be held at the  Jack Purcell Centre on Sunday the 6th of March starting at 12:00 pm.  Everyone is welcome - both OVAS and non-OVAS members.
Item setup and viewing starts at 10:00 am.  All items being auctioned off must be registered and present at the auction by 12:00.  No new items will be accepted after 12:00.

General information
All items being auctioned are placed on tables in the viewing area.  During the auction the tables will be auctioned off in a order.
If you wish to have your item(s) sold at the start of the auction, we will have a priority table this year.  The cost is 2$ per item and this fee must be paid before your item is placed on the priority table. 
For the Giant Auction the starting bid is $2.  If necessary, please group your items to ensure that your lots have a $2 value.

Raffle tickets
We will be selling raffle tickets during the auction.  $1 for 1, $2 for 3 and $5 for 10.  Prizes include a brand new 75 gallon aquarium, xxxx
Item registration
The following methods are available to register your items.

• On-line registration of your items.  Click here to submit your items for the auction.  If you have more than 10 items for sale, please fill out as many forms as needed.
  • PM me with your list – including the description and minimum bid.
  • If you do not pre-register your items, please download the OVAS item form , complete it and give it to me before 12:00.

The following items WILL NOT be accepted at this year's Giant Auction

• Used heaters
  • Used light bulbs
  • Plastic plants
  • Used/opened filter media
  • Used airline tubing

We are limiting the number of identical items that a single vendor can sell to 3 items, please group your items accordingly.  If you want to sell more than 3 bag of Val, you have the choice of either grouping your items to create 3 lots, removing the extra item(s) or donating the extra item(s) to OVAS.

Identifying your items
Pre-printed labels are provided for all auction items and will be handed out when you arrive at the registration desk.
For all items the starting bid is $2.00. If you would like to start the bidding for you item at a higher amount please indicate the minimum bid on your registration form. 

Packaging your items
Please package your items carefully!  Bags can leak, light bulbs can break, and fish can jump out of pails - just to mention a few possibilities.
All fish placed for auction must be in an appropriate container:

• Proper fish bags (preferred method)
  • Glass jars of an appropriate size (Acceptable, but should be avoided if possible for safety reasons)
  • Plastic buckets
Any fish placed for auction in an unacceptable container will have to be bagged at our Bagging station. OVAS will supply thick, heavy duty fish bags and will do the bagging.  Cost is $1 per bag, regardless of the number of fish bagged.  Anyone wishing to bring fish to the auction without proper bags are encouraged to bring their fish in a bucket, and we will happily bag them for you for the auction table.
Payment for bagging must happen BEFORE the auction commences.

Bidding
For those who are new to the club the auction works as follows:

• The auctioneer will read the lot number, description and starting bid amount.
  • Anyone who wishes to bid on the item is asked to raise their hand at the start of the bidding.
  • The auctioneer will increase the price and the last person with their hand raised wins the item.
  • All items must be paid for immediately after the bidding has ended for that item.  Payment and item pickup is done at the Treasurers location on the right hand side of the meeting room.

Auction fees
Any items preregistered before 8:00pm on Saturday the 5th of March will be charged a 25% commission.  Any items registered after this time will be charged a 35% commission fee for OVAS members, and 40% for non-OVAS members, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Donations
If you wish to donate the proceeds from any of your auction item please indicate this to me before the auction.  Any unsold donated items must be picked up after the mini-auction is over – OVAS will not be responsible for any items left at the meeting.

Vendor payment
Please see me after the auction to be cashed out.  I will provide you with a receipt which will be taken to the Treasurer for payment.  If you are unable to stay to the end of the auction please contact me and alternate arrangement will be made for you to receive your funds.

Note
Please respect your fellow club members - excessive talking during the auction is distracting to both the auctioneers and the people wishing to purchase items.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Randy

Nerine

Prize list so far! Will continue to update it !!
Thank you to our sponsors for their awesome donations!

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank

1000 Islands Aquaria $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp Tank
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

robt18

Are we going to have a going list of what's been registered for the auction so we can figure out how much to save in advance? :P

Fishnut

Just save one entire pay-cheque Rob :)

sas

Quote from: Fishnut on February 20, 2011, 11:21:41 PM
Just save one entire pay-cheque Rob :)

And bring lots and lots of Toonies and Loonies :).

bitterman

Quote from: sas on February 21, 2011, 02:08:59 PM

LOL soo true loonie snad toonies!!!!..... I don't bring many $$ to the auction as the better half would not be happy if I came home with another 125 gallon tank seeing I have 2 that are still dry,.... Or a ton of fish as my tanks are already over flowing with fish....

Bruce

Mike62

Quote from: bitterman on February 21, 2011, 02:59:05 PM
the better half would not be happy if I came home with another 125 gallon tank seeing I have 2 that are still dry
Bruce

Im still trying to convince the better half that a second tank would be a great idea and you get to have 2 that arent even in operation??? :'(
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

White Lightning

I do not have a lot of items regiastered just yet but I am sure that will change.

I figure that by Friday March 4th I will post a list of preregistered items as I should have a lot more by then.

bitterman

robt18

Quote from: fishnutJust save one entire pay-cheque Rob
Quote from: sas

You think I can get loonies and toonies out of one of my paychques? :D I wish!

I'll start saving the pennies all you you guys drop at cash here :P

sas

Quote from: robt18 on February 22, 2011, 07:25:34 PM

You think I can get loonies and toonies out of one of my paychques? :D I wish!

I'll start saving the pennies all you you guys drop at cash here :P

Awww we'll set up a jar for you Rob  :).

smalltownfan

Quote from: Nerine on February 13, 2011, 11:51:50 PM
Prize list so far! Will continue to update it !!
Thank you to our sponsors for their awesome donations!

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank
1000 Islands Aquaria $50 gift certificate
La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp Tank

I was in the neighborhood and dropped in to La Niche today to say hi  and see what was new. I saw the Fluval Nano Shrimp tank that will be one of the prizes. Marc Andre has a couple set up for his new shrimp section and that little 7.9g is a sweet little set up. 8) It's plug and play, it's that easy. Already trying to come up with excuses that I need two of them! ::) ::)

Check it out at http://www.fluvalblog.com/fluval-nano-aquariums-set-to-launch/ 
The complete PDF with all detais is at http://www.hagen.com/news/product_sheets/Aquatic/Fluval_Nano_Aquaria.pdf

I think this one will attract a lot of tickets for the raffle. Thanks Marc-Andre
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

Jeff1192

Yeah those little tanks are awesome for sure. That's where all my ballots are going....haha. Too bad with my BBA outbreak I won't be bringing any plants for the auction. I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone else. It's too bad too because I purposely hadn't been thinning by twisty Vals. I had TONS of them. Oh well, when I get things cleaned up and they fill back in again I'll just have to bring them to mini-auctions.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Fishnut

Yeah...BBA SUCKS!!!  I was going to sell a lot of the vals in my main tan, but they got tossed or chopped down.  I still have some BBA-free tanks with some flame moss though, so I'll be bringing that.

smalltownfan

Quote from: Fishnut on February 24, 2011, 02:11:14 PM
Yeah...BBA SUCKS!!!  I was going to sell a lot of the vals in my main tan, but they got tossed or chopped down.  I still have some BBA-free tanks with some flame moss though, so I'll be bringing that.

Flame Moss! yay!
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

rockgarden

Remember that there is a dress code in effect :-) and the person who bought the last raffle ticket from me last year won one of the raffle prizes.  Is there some kind of relationship.  Heck, don't ask me.  I just volunteer to sell the raffle tickets so that I won't have as much time to bid. 8)

Can't remember what you wore last year. :-X :-\ :-*

Maybe looking here will help you with your memory: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2010/03/ottawa-valley-aquarium-society-annual-auction-2010/

robt18

I'll be selling a bunch of bushynose and maybe a few africans, so the more they go for the more I get to buy :P

Quotewhat Sue said :P

White Lightning

Hey Folks!

Friendly reminder to all those who intend to register for the Giant Auction....

Deadline is 8pm, Saturday March 5th. any items registered after this time will be charged 35% for OVAS members and 40% for non OVAS members. 

Don't procrastinate, register early. At present there are 51 items registered for the auction which tells me that there should be a flood of registrations coming closer to the deadline.

Also...just to let everyone know what door prizes there are so far....

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank (bare)

1000 Islands Aquaria - $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp tank

Aqua Valley - Tester kit ($32), Fish foods

Malyon18

I would love to see the list of registered items ;D, just wondering how many body parts I have to sell on the black market to fund my spending
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

wandmangels

Lunch will be similar to last year

Hot Dogs(all beef this year)

Or Smoked meat on a Swiss triangle

$3 includes drink

markw

Quote from: wandmangels on February 28, 2011, 03:33:59 PM

$3 includes drink
Hey Wayne, Any discounts for us hard working auctioneers???

dustinm

Hello,

I am a newbie to ovas but I have been making up for lost time by doing lots of reading. My question is I have never been to one of your auctions is there anything I should bring (besides money lol) or should know?   

Thanks
Dustin

White Lightning

The process is pretty straight forward. The auctioneer will begin thier count and if you are interested you hold up a card. As the aucioneer increases the price peole will begin lowering thier cards if they do not want to pay that amount. The last person holding thier card up has the winning bid. Payment immediately follows the successful bid.

In terms of registering items for sale at the auction, please follow the instructions at the beginning of this post.

I hope that answers your question.

Nerine

Update list of prizes! Thank you to our wonderful sponsors who have donated their time and items!! All these things are awesome :)

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank (bare)

1000 Islands Aquaria - $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp tank

Aqua Valley - API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Wardley Total Tropical Groumet Flake Blend 2.5 oz, Wardley Spirulina Discs 4 oz

Fishtail - $50 Gift certificate

Big Al's - Eheim Professional 3 Fresh & Salt Ultra G90 Canisster Filter (up to 90G, 275 GPH), Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic, Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer and a 30G long tank!!

Rick N. has a hand turned pen from Persimmon wood and one is turned out of Australian Tiger Myrtle wood - A special treat!!

And a thank you to Canada Reef for taking time to set up the frag tank! - Due to unforeseen circumstances Alex may not be able to attend the Giant Auction...

LOTS of AWESOME prizes!!!! Don't forget to get lots of raffle tickets!! Put the ticket for the item you want in the container in front of (or in if it's a tank) of the item!! There will be notes posted on the containers so there is no confusion to what goes to what product!
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

vic622

As a 1st-Timer to the Giant Auction I have a question about bidding & payment.

In other auctions I've been to, it works kinda like this:
I have registered as a bidder, bid on items & at the end of the auction (or when its time to leave) I go the the cashier & pay for my booty err winning bids with cash, cheque, debit or credit card.

How does payment work at the OVAS Auction?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

OVAS-Webmaster

Quote from: White Lightning on February 10, 2011, 09:29:39 PM
Bidding
For those who are new to the club the auction works as follows:

• The auctioneer will read the lot number, description and starting bid amount.
  • Anyone who wishes to bid on the item is asked to raise their hand at the start of the bidding.
  • The auctioneer will increase the price and the last person with their hand raised wins the item.
  • All items must be paid for immediately after the bidding has ended for that item.  Payment and item pickup is done at the Treasurers location on the right hand side of the meeting room.

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

Quatro

I'm pretty sure its cash only as well.

drboeing

Just to add an informal description for the first-timers...

You can get a notepad to make notes reminding yourself of items you want to bid on and which table they are located at, if I recall correctly, tables arent always brought up for bidding in consecutive order (I may be mistaken there)

You pay for each item you successfully bid on at the time of your winning bid, there is a cahsier at the side of the room, they like you a lot if you have loads of small bills, bidding goes up in $1.00 increments generally.  The cashier likes you even more if you can produce the exact payment, as they are pretty harried over in their corner, and honestly Im not sure how they stay so organised.

Youll find at the auction loads of impulse shopping opportunities, its wise if you pack an isulated bag if you go fish shopping, and perhaps a heavy bag  or good box in case you make other purchases, I cant count how many times Ive left the auction juggling my purchases!  If you bring a box and decide youll not need it, there will be a dozen people who will thank you for it.

Its a long day, but well worth it, loads of deals, great people meet and learn from!

HappyGuppy

Curious... is it likely that someone will be auctioning clownfish?  What about corals?  I've been thinking of getting some of these things soon... is the auction the time to get them?

Shawn84

Is the auction a cash only auction or there will be credit card accepted. Thank you.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Malyon18

I am 99.99% positive it's cash only, since you have to pay for your item right after you win it credit card and debit would be a big hassle especially for small priced items
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

bitterman

In the past it has always been cash only! I don't think it will change.

Imagine the cost to setup and rent the machine for 1 day not to mention the Per transaction cost and % the credit card companies take.

Bruce

Fishnut

Speaking as last year's cashier and this year's cashier, please bring LOTS of small bills, looneys and twooneys!  We run out of change really quickly if we get handed a $20 for a $5 - $10 purchse...or less!

This auction is 100% cash only as well.

garnpet

Important note:

If you park in the Jack Purcell parking lot you MUST go inside and get a parking pass from them and place it on your dash.  Otherwise you will get ticketed.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

metrologywiz

Hi All,
I have over thirty items in this auction as I have stopped by African Cichlid breeding operation, all of my breeders, juvies and fry are up for grabs.
I will downsize to one tank after the sale,
See you there!!

http://tankgazing.webs.com/

Nerine

Check out my previous post!!! I updated the prize list!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring your cash for raffle tickets!!!!! There are some really cool prizes :D

The Ehiem filter - the box looks funky because it got wet!! but the filter is fine!!!! So ignore funny lookin box ;)

Kryptonian

Does the auction start at 12:00pm sharp?
Is there anywhere that we can go online to look at pre registered items? 
Thanks!

Brent Shaver

Our Auction Chair will be posting a list of items registered tonight I believe, but if it doesnt make it until morning be patient as he is a busy camper getting everything ready for Sunday

Kryptonian

bitterman

pm

This will be my first time attending  :), when are the raffle prizes drawn?  I assume you must be present to win.  Is this correct?

garnpet

yes, you must be present to win.  They are drawn throughout the day.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

White Lightning

Heads up Folks....

As of 2000hrs pre-registration is closed. Further registrations after 200hrs for OVAS members are charged 35% and 40% for any non-OVAS members.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the auction!!!

littlelil

Quote from: wandmangels on February 28, 2011, 03:33:59 PM

$3 includes drink

Will lunch be available throughout the day or is it only at a set time? I didn't go last year so I am not sure how it went.....

Nerine

Lunch will be there till it runs out!! :) and there's a LOT of places to eat near by too...but Wayne is excellent at judging how much food and drink we'll need :)

Rémi

What time are the auctions thought to go till? I think I read 6 somewhere but I can't find that anymore.

*Got my answer on the volunteer topic. Around 5-6*.

rockgarden

Wonder what I am bringing.  Here's my front hallway at about midnight.

:) ;) :D    http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2011/03/ottawa-aquarium-society-ovas-annual-giant-auction-2011/  :'( :'( :-* :-X

Remember to bring money for raffle tickets!!!

sas

Ug I can see being late, darn snow, have to dig out the laneways again!

drboeing

Hooray!  I get to be the first to post and say thanks for another wonderful Giant Auction, as always a marvel of organisation!

We got some great fish, shrimp and plants this year, possibly going to have one fatality as one of the Rusty Cichlids Rob bought (of 3) is in pretty serious distress.  :(  Not sure hell recover.

Thanks for such a great day, hopefully I see some of you before next years auction.

Mrs and Dr Boeing, AKA Karen and Rob.

rockgarden

For me an unbelievable success.  I came home with nothing!  :o :o 8)

Because there were a great many great people buying raffle tickets, I was totally too busy to put my hand up!  That is really a good thing considering some of the items I have ended up with at past auctions!  :D ;)

Thanks to everyone who put in lots of time behind the scenes and to all those who spent so much time keeping the event moving along so smoothly. Really appreciated.   Thanks, also, to all of the buyers and sellers who showed up with items and money considering the weather conditions this morning. Nice to see such spirited bidding on some of those coveted items.  Who would have guessed that shrimp could be such an exciting item  :).

I will try to add photos to my blog later in the evening.  Need a rest first :-X

Ron
www.megapixeltravel.com (the blog)

bitterman

Quote from: sas on March 06, 2011, 03:37:37 AM
Ug I can see being late, darn snow, have to dig out the laneways again!

Missed you Sue. Hope your safe.

Bruce

ajm1961

Seems like we finished at a record time! A lot of goodies to be had for sure - I managed to pick up a whole lot of plants, and some pumps and sponge filters.
Thanks to all that helped out, I had a great time!
Cheers!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

drboeing

I thought about offering and should have, why cant we have hourly shifts on duties such as raffle ticket sales?

Sign me and Dr B up for shifts at that for next years auction.

Lost the fish who was in distress.   :'(

Nerine

Sorry to hear you lost the fish :( My fry were in poor shape :\ there were too many of them in the little jar and they were all gasping at the surface...got them into fresh water...and hoping they will survive!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! A special thank you to Irene, you are amazing! Caroline - awesome job! Joyce - Thanks for greeting people at the door and keeping track of items! Sylvia and Jenn - awesome job on cash :) Our wonderful auctioneers! Excellent work! Wayne for the great sandwiches :) Jessie's daughters for helping run the kitchen with John & Wayne, great job girls! Hope to have you again next year! All our runners - without you the auction wouldn't run as smooth as it did! I know i'm missing names, but I'm dead dead tired!! LOL THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :D We finished in record time, and the room was very clean!

Sad to see some of our Montreal neighbours were not able to make it and a few other people who lived further out, but to those who did come in, thanks for braving the roads! :) (which were totally amazing tonight, made it home in 'record' time compared to this morning going to Ottawa!)

cdylnicki

I had such a great time today!

I have spent all evening planning my new shrimps (cherry & Bumbleboo), move into my 14 gallon nano (I realized I am missing one light & that the other light unit is broken).  The shrimps are all fluttering about in their temporary 5 gallon.  My plan is to set the CO2 unit (brand new Nutrafin Plant System for $7.00 at the auction) in the nano.

My Hammer coral is doing well.  Beautiful green colouring!  Both Diatom filtration units have all pieces & I am planning which tanks to place them with. 

I can't wait until next years auction!

Fishnut

I had a great time and the day just flew past!!  I managed to get my the #1 fish on my items list...Brachyraphis Roseni, despite everyone keeping me busy on cash.  It's not easy concentrating on making change and listening for items I want to bid on, so I was delighted to get them. 

I also managed to get a school of Xenophorus Couchianus!  I wasn't going to bid on them at first (the first 2 bags were selling a bit higher than I hoped to spend) but I absolutely love them!  Not only are they rare little fish but they fit in perfectly with the water parameters of my Sulawesi snail tank.  It's a 20 gallon with just snails in it...amazing snails, but there's not much movement, so I've been looking for something to swim around in there!

On top of that, I got a pair of Ilyodon Furcidens, a trio of girardinus falcatus and a couple of plants.  All the fish are in their new respective quarantine homes or species tanks and doing well.

There were a lot of people who bought a lot of different kinds of fish, so there are a lot of people out there with MTS.  Did anyone impulse buy?  At least one person did I think, because he came up to me and asked what kind of fish this Green Terror was :o.  Impulse buy!!! :)

I'm glad everyone looked like they had a great day.  I sure did!

HappyGuppy

For *years* I had been wanting to come to the yearly auction, but something always came up.  Also I never did come to the monthly meetings - long story, but in short usually I can't go.  Furthermore, my wife has generally now cared very much for this "hobby". 

Today I had a DELIGHTFUL TIME!!!  I enjoyed going, participating in the auction, and also interacting with some others.  It's nice to shake hands with people that typically are just some faceless nickname.  My kids had a good time, particularly my son who is now a "salt water" fish nut, was quite happy being there too.  Charlie got a picture of him holding his fish bowl that he got at the auction (cute, a kid with a new bowl... and a big smile).  Oh, if someone (Charlie?) could PM me a link to that photo I'd really appreciate it... or to the photo album as I'd enjoy looking through the pics of the day.

My wife, though still cool, has obviously warmed up to aquariums.  I think she's falling for the marine tank we've got going.  Having her come to the auction was a big step; now she she's that it's not just me who is crazy... there's lots of us!!!  She had a good time at the auction too.

I want to thank all the wonderful people who organized this marvelous event.  The whole thing went smoothly and was a smashing success.  The people with whom I've had the pleasure of interacting with were top notch - you're all great!  You should all be proud of yourselves, and know that you are much appreciated!

Jeff1192

Another amazingly well-run day by everyone involved. I can't believe how quickly they got through everything. There were some great deals to be had. I managed to pick up a pair of mega clown plecos, some shrimp and some plants.

Thanks to everyone involved in making the day a great success.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Sue

Thanks to the OVAS Exec and all the volenteers for putting together another great auction yesterday!  Thanks also to the folks from Montreal, who braved the weather to drive to the auction bringing so many cool fish!  

rockgarden

Photos now in my blog.

Stayed up all night toiling (not really) so that I could get all of those smiling faces into my blog.  Now completed.

Find some of the days events chronicled here: http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2011/03/ottawa-aquarium-society-ovas-annual-giant-auction-2011/

Have a great day!

Ron

robt18

Quote from: Fishnut on March 06, 2011, 10:56:45 PM

There were a lot of people who bought a lot of different kinds of fish, so there are a lot of people out there with MTS.  Did anyone impulse buy? 

I just went in with a bunch of money and hoped it was enough :P Not much was planned!

I ended up grabbing a trio of Syno Multipunctatus, a pair of Mega clown plecos, a couple of gold rams and a bunch of plants. Then stayed up trying to figure out where everything would fit. It was a good night :)

Thanks to everyone who made it happen! Took a lot of hard work and you all did a great job!

Time to start breeding and growing for next year's auction :D

washefuzzy

I bought some Brig snails that I absolutely have no room for. Luckily I have 4 takers for them. So it ended up not being a problem. Silly girl!  :D

FishBuddy

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 07, 2011, 09:24:56 AM
I bought some Brig snails that I absolutely have no room for. Luckily I have 4 takers for them. So it ended up not being a problem. Silly girl!  :D

Don't feel bad Joyce...  In one of my previous auctions, I picked up a super giant amazon sword plant (it's beautiful though!) and found out later that I couldn't even fit into a 72 gallon tank!  Ended up giving away to a friend too...

Kudos to all the volunteers and execs for making this GA another successful one.  Without your dedication, the event wouldn't have run this smoothly.  The food was great as well (at a price that you couldn't beat :) )  We certainly finished in record time this year.

I ended up getting a lot of Mark's Tanganyikan cichlids; they are gorgeous!  So, far all of them survived the trip and as of this morning, they are actively swimming and feeding :)

Thanks again folks!

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

charlie

Thanks to all who made this another successful event for the club,including all who came out to support & socialize, the highlight for me this year was the participation of the young hobbyist both in attendance & determination to win a bid, especially the young lady who was determined to get a Pleco for her recent classroom set up-" Kudos", perhaps as a club we can build on this.
Here are a few pictures that the Nikon guy missed lol, great job on the blog  Ron , love it, perhaps Peter can combine all the pictures into an album for the club.
I had a great time meeting & sharing experiences with  other hobbyist.
Regards
http://ovas.ca/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=570;u=337

sas

Looks like a good time was had by all!
I'm still upset that we didn't make it in :(.

At least I get to dream through all these great pics! Thanks :)

holachicka

Quote from: rockgarden on March 06, 2011, 06:38:39 PM

I will try to add photos to my blog later in the evening.  Need a rest first :-X

Ron
www.megapixeltravel.com (the blog)

Hey - can you please send me EMG4114-kitchen?! I am sure my daughter will love having this added to the other pictures I took of her :)

email:

Thanks, Jessie

rockgarden

Jessie:  Will do.

Everyone else:  Thanks for all of your visits and comments.  I've linked the Auction blog to a few other on-line places that I have photos posted and a few others have marked it as a "Facebook LIKE", so the number of people who now know what an OVAS auction looks like (and snowy Canadian weather) is increasing daily. Folks from the UK like the sunset shot but think that our weather looks horrible :-). One Ottawa area responder wants to sell her son's stuff as part of a basement clean-up  8) but was too late for the auction  :'( while another fellow in the UK thinks that he might haul his old stuff out of the basement and fill the aquarium again and start over after seeing the blog.

Today, I've added links to a few of the larger aquarium societies in Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City at the end of the blog along with information about when they meet.  SO, for instance, if you happen to be in Montreal on Wednesday, March 9th, take a look at the MAS link and see that they have their meeting on Wednesday, March 9th or if you are feeling like a bit of salt and you happen to be in Toronto the same night then perhaps attending a MAST meeting will satisfy the desire for salt water.  Likely better than sitting in front of a TV looking at reruns and eating salty potato chips  :D.

Ron ( www.megapixeltravel.com )

metrologywiz

Is anyone else still waiting for payment for the auction items they sold @ the 2011 Giant Auction?
Last year my payment cheque was mailed straight away.
confused and patiently waiting.

Papdul16

Still waiting
No news after 2 e-mail
7 tanks running of African cichlids

White Lightning