New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2011 Giant Auction

Started by White Lightning, February 10, 2011, 09:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markw

Quote from: wandmangels on February 28, 2011, 03:33:59 PM
Lunch will be similar to last year

Hot Dogs(all beef this year)

Or Smoked meat on a Swiss triangle

$3 includes drink
Hey Wayne, Any discounts for us hard working auctioneers???

dustinm

Hello,

I am a newbie to ovas but I have been making up for lost time by doing lots of reading. My question is I have never been to one of your auctions is there anything I should bring (besides money lol) or should know?   

Thanks
Dustin

White Lightning

The process is pretty straight forward. The auctioneer will begin thier count and if you are interested you hold up a card. As the aucioneer increases the price peole will begin lowering thier cards if they do not want to pay that amount. The last person holding thier card up has the winning bid. Payment immediately follows the successful bid.

In terms of registering items for sale at the auction, please follow the instructions at the beginning of this post.

I hope that answers your question.

Nerine

Update list of prizes! Thank you to our wonderful sponsors who have donated their time and items!! All these things are awesome :)

OVAS - 75 Gallon tank (bare)

1000 Islands Aquaria - $50 gift certificate

La Niche - Fluval Nano Shrimp tank

Aqua Valley - API Freshwater Master Test Kit, Wardley Total Tropical Groumet Flake Blend 2.5 oz, Wardley Spirulina Discs 4 oz

Fishtail - $50 Gift certificate

Big Al's - Eheim Professional 3 Fresh & Salt Ultra G90 Canisster Filter (up to 90G, 275 GPH), Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic, Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer and a 30G long tank!!

Rick N. has a hand turned pen from Persimmon wood and one is turned out of Australian Tiger Myrtle wood - A special treat!!

And a thank you to Canada Reef for taking time to set up the frag tank! - Due to unforeseen circumstances Alex may not be able to attend the Giant Auction...

LOTS of AWESOME prizes!!!! Don't forget to get lots of raffle tickets!! Put the ticket for the item you want in the container in front of (or in if it's a tank) of the item!! There will be notes posted on the containers so there is no confusion to what goes to what product!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

vic622

As a 1st-Timer to the Giant Auction I have a question about bidding & payment.

In other auctions I've been to, it works kinda like this:
I have registered as a bidder, bid on items & at the end of the auction (or when its time to leave) I go the the cashier & pay for my booty err winning bids with cash, cheque, debit or credit card.

How does payment work at the OVAS Auction?
Vic
120g Peninsula Tank

Planted, high tech
Congo Tetra, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami
Serpae Tetra
Bronze & Pepper Corydoras, BN Plecos, Yoyo Loaches

OVAS-Webmaster

Quote from: White Lightning on February 10, 2011, 09:29:39 PM
Bidding
For those who are new to the club the auction works as follows:

• The auctioneer will read the lot number, description and starting bid amount.
  • Anyone who wishes to bid on the item is asked to raise their hand at the start of the bidding.
  • The auctioneer will increase the price and the last person with their hand raised wins the item.
  • All items must be paid for immediately after the bidding has ended for that item.  Payment and item pickup is done at the Treasurers location on the right hand side of the meeting room.

Don't forget that OVAS has a separate webpage as well.  http://ovas.ca/ovas/

Visit us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

OVAS on Instagram

Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules

Quatro

I'm pretty sure its cash only as well.

drboeing

Just to add an informal description for the first-timers...

You can get a notepad to make notes reminding yourself of items you want to bid on and which table they are located at, if I recall correctly, tables arent always brought up for bidding in consecutive order (I may be mistaken there)

You pay for each item you successfully bid on at the time of your winning bid, there is a cahsier at the side of the room, they like you a lot if you have loads of small bills, bidding goes up in $1.00 increments generally.  The cashier likes you even more if you can produce the exact payment, as they are pretty harried over in their corner, and honestly Im not sure how they stay so organised.

Youll find at the auction loads of impulse shopping opportunities, its wise if you pack an isulated bag if you go fish shopping, and perhaps a heavy bag  or good box in case you make other purchases, I cant count how many times Ive left the auction juggling my purchases!  If you bring a box and decide youll not need it, there will be a dozen people who will thank you for it.

Its a long day, but well worth it, loads of deals, great people meet and learn from!

HappyGuppy

Curious... is it likely that someone will be auctioning clownfish?  What about corals?  I've been thinking of getting some of these things soon... is the auction the time to get them?

Shawn84

Is the auction a cash only auction or there will be credit card accepted. Thank you.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Malyon18

I am 99.99% positive it's cash only, since you have to pay for your item right after you win it credit card and debit would be a big hassle especially for small priced items
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

bitterman

In the past it has always been cash only! I don't think it will change.

Imagine the cost to setup and rent the machine for 1 day not to mention the Per transaction cost and % the credit card companies take.

Bruce

Fishnut

Speaking as last year's cashier and this year's cashier, please bring LOTS of small bills, looneys and twooneys!  We run out of change really quickly if we get handed a $20 for a $5 - $10 purchse...or less!

This auction is 100% cash only as well.

garnpet

Important note:

If you park in the Jack Purcell parking lot you MUST go inside and get a parking pass from them and place it on your dash.  Otherwise you will get ticketed.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

metrologywiz

Hi All,
I have over thirty items in this auction as I have stopped by African Cichlid breeding operation, all of my breeders, juvies and fry are up for grabs.
I will downsize to one tank after the sale,
See you there!!

http://tankgazing.webs.com/

Nerine

Check out my previous post!!! I updated the prize list!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring your cash for raffle tickets!!!!! There are some really cool prizes :D

The Ehiem filter - the box looks funky because it got wet!! but the filter is fine!!!! So ignore funny lookin box ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Kryptonian

Does the auction start at 12:00pm sharp?
Is there anywhere that we can go online to look at pre registered items? 
Thanks!

Brent Shaver

Our Auction Chair will be posting a list of items registered tonight I believe, but if it doesnt make it until morning be patient as he is a busy camper getting everything ready for Sunday

Kryptonian

bitterman