New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

April meeting Planted Tank 101

Started by limmer, April 12, 2011, 11:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limmer

Do you have problems with your planted tank?
Are you thinking of starting up a planted tank?

Then this lecture is for you!
The meeting will be held on Monday April 18 at 7 PM at JA Dulude Arena.
Please note the Date!

This will be a Presentation on Basics of a Planted Tank
coming from a hobbyist point of view
presented by Errol Choo (Charlie).

The lecture will then be followed by a group discussion
with a few of our knowledgeable members.
Our Panel now consists of the following members.
Jetstream(Ken), Zima (Antoine), and Fischkopp (Robert)
and of course Errol.

After we will have a mini-auction.

The Newb

Sounds great! Forgive me if this has already been posted, but is this during the next monthly meeting?

Stussi613

As usual I'll be out of town for the meeting, which is too bad because Errol will surely give a superb presentation!  At least I'll be in Punta Cana on the beach  ;D
I haz reef tanks.

RebeccaB

That is too bad the meeting date for April has been changed! I have been waiting for a planted tank meeting since I joined the club two years ago! Unfortunately I will be out of town for the week of April 18th.
Slowly venturing down the Amano path...

RebeccaB

Perhaps you could create a podcast of Errol's lecture for all of the MIA plant geeks!??
Slowly venturing down the Amano path...

Jeff1192

I'll be missing this too, wife's out of town and I'm not going to drag my boys out to the meeting. I too would be interested if it could be posted on the site.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

ajm1961

I'll be there - looking forward to the presentation, very timely for me as I have just recently ventured into keeping live plants.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

ThomasLynn

I love the podcast idea! I'm struggling getting my planted up to 'garden' standard and would LOVE to attend. I'll be on my way home from a long weekend adventure in Banff. YouTube may work as an option too?

HappyGuppy

I've been heavily into natural planted tanks for years and this is one meeting I would have loved to attend.  Unfortunately Mondays are Beaver Scouts night, and as a leader I don't believe I can get away.

BTW, since in all the years I have never been able to attend a meeting I don't know how it works.  Is there a fee at the door?  Where is it?  Is it every month?  Perhaps is there a link to this information?  Thank you!

P.S.  I abstained from becoming a member since I saw no point; I could rarely attend a meeting.  I decided what the heck, I love OVAS, so I signed up as an official member anyways to at least support it somehow.

P.P.S.  Just occurred to me that summer is coming, and scouts is over.  Do the meetings continue during the summer?

Feivel

I want tome come too but unfortunately i have not paid for my membership yet. can i do so at the door? i also have just started keeping plants and am going to get a whole bunch of assorted plants from some dude in goulbourn. Setting up a DIY Co2 system, pretty simple actually :)
cheers
Seb

garnpet

Quote from: HappyGuppy on April 13, 2011, 03:14:08 PM
P.P.S.  Just occurred to me that summer is coming, and scouts is over.  Do the meetings continue during the summer?
OVAS holds monthly meetings except for the months of December (Christmas Party), June (BBQ) and July and August (summer vacation).

http://ovas.ca/ovas/about-ovas/faq

Quote from: Feivel on April 13, 2011, 03:21:50 PM
I want tome come too but unfortunately i have not paid for my membership yet. can i do so at the door?
Memberships can be purchased at the meeting.  However, not having a membership does not stop you from attending.  Generally we allow visitors a couple of meetings and then they are strongly encouraged to purchase a membership.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

limmer

We will not be recording the lecture.  Its something we have never done and not sure how it would work out.  I think there would be a bit of work to set it up and test it.  There seems to be never enough hours in a day.  I am sorry about the short notice as I was stilling working on getting things together and trying to decide what to do for the meeting.

charlie

Tomorrow`s "Planted tank 101" presentation, will be done in very simple  language  ;), my goal is at the end of it, we all come away with a better understanding on the basic  requirements of growing & keeping plants in the Aquarium.
If you have specific issues with your personal tanks, this will be addressed in the in the session that follows the presentation by a panel of planted tank hobbyist who has promised to make themselves available to try & help with such questions.
See you all tomorrow.
Regards

White Lightning

Unfortunately there will not be a mini auction this month due to some unforeseen circumstances.

Please see next post.

garnpet

Quote from: White Lightning on April 17, 2011, 10:55:12 AM
Unfortunately there will not be a mini auction this month due to some unforeseen circumstances.
There will be a mini-auction for those who are interested.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=50107.msg277210;topicseen#new
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Janny

Thanks so much Charlie! Very informative and timely for me (quick, before I kill Toss's carefully tended plants!).

Hope nobody minded that I brought my Little Person with me - I was really keen on attending (and glad I did!).

Jan

Brent Shaver

Thank you for taking the time to present tonights meeting topic Errol, I do hope you will consider doing another meeting sometime down the road.

Also a special thank you to Jetstream(Ken), Zima (Antoine), and Fischkopp (Robert)
and of course Errol for taking the time to answer questions for the members after the presentation.

It was a great night and all your time was greatly appreciated.

Nerine

Jan! Your little person is welcome at ANY time :) we love having kids at the meetings! ;D

I learned somethin new today: planted tanks are indeed beautiful and I will not have one in the near future hahahaha I'm gonna stick with my silk plants for now ....until i get a shrimp tank or something small like tiny tetras and not earth shakers ;)

thanks everyone for coming out! it was great seeing new faces there :)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

morrom

My first meeting, (second post  ;) )
I found it to be super informative, being new to the hobby allot of my questions were answered.
I am sure that my fish and plants will all benefit greatly from the information I received.

Thanks guys!

Nerine

Glad you were able to make it :) Hope to see you at others!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Janny

Quote from: Nerine on April 19, 2011, 01:32:42 AM
Jan! Your little person is welcome at ANY time :) we love having kids at the meetings! ;D

I learned somethin new today: planted tanks are indeed beautiful and I will not have one in the near future hahahaha I'm gonna stick with my silk plants for now ....until i get a shrimp tank or something small like tiny tetras and not earth shakers ;)

thanks everyone for coming out! it was great seeing new faces there :)

Thanks Nerine! I would have liked to stay for the Q&A but had to get Little Person home and into bed. :)