New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

2012 October General Meeting

Started by sylros, October 06, 2012, 11:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylros

Mark your Calendars for October 22nd, at 7p.m!  Our October meeting is going to be great!

We will have a Trivia and Pizza night. Being as it is so close to Hallowe'en, feel free to wear your costumes! You might just win a prize for it!

So, get ready to have some fun, brush up on your fish knowledge as you won't know what will be asked! This game will be a team effort. May the best team win!

The location is at the Tom Brown Arena where there is tons of space

At the end of the evening, there will be a chance to sell or swap your fish related items. Please note that this will in a format of a garage sale where you will be responsible for the transactions. Should you need a full table, please don't hesitate to let the know.

Chinaman

Hi OVAS Executives,

Yes, I have decided to contribute my partial retirement life
to one of the hobbies I have enjoy.....if I could be help to OVAS.

Here are my "assets"...
The only hitech gismo I have at home is a landline phone, oh, maybe
I should count my flat screen tv in as another,
I do have access to the computer and Internet at the public library, all of them,
My commuting is done by the red and white OC limo... I got the monthly
pass,
My mobility is limited as I got the aging aches and pains issue, and
I live in Kanata,

SO can I be of help in some shape or form??? 

Sam aka <Chinaman>

robt18

Sam,

We can always use a hand in set up and organization. If we see you at our monthly meeting we'll more than gladly find a job for you!

Rob

bizfromqc

Quote from: sylros on October 06, 2012, 11:09:27 AM
At the end of the evening, there will be a chance to sell or swap your fish related items. Please note that this will in a format of a garage sale where you will be responsible for the transactions.

No more mini-auctions?

charlie

Quote from: BizFromQC on October 09, 2012, 01:39:42 PM
No more mini-auctions?
No the Mini Auctions have been replaced by the swap table style for now.
It is hoped that the hobbyist will bring their stuff sell ,trade, etc at their discretion & in so doing have a better interaction with others, this is on a trial basis.
Errol

Brine

Quote from: charlie on October 09, 2012, 03:09:29 PM
No the Mini Auctions have been replaced by the swap table style for now.
It is hoped that the hobbyist will bring their stuff sell ,trade, etc at their discretion & in so doing have a better interaction with others, this is on a trial basis.
Errol

I like this idea

bizfromqc

I was under the impression that aside from the obvious "giant auction" and "membership drive", the "mini auctions" were a good source of income for the club, was that not the case?

charlie

Quote from: BizFromQC on October 15, 2012, 08:17:07 AM
I was under the impression that aside from the obvious "giant auction" and "membership drive", the "mini auctions" were a good source of income for the club, was that not the case?

Eric you are under the correct impression for the most part -"giant auction" and "membership drive",Sponsorship
The mini auction has not been a significant revenue source for the longest while, this trial is to try & encourage all hobbyist despite which niche of the hobby you are in to come out & sell their items @ a price that is satisfactory to them, this gives everone a chance to negotiate directly with the seller & even trade some items.
Errol

bizfromqc

Good initiative, nice to see the clubs trying things and eager to see how it turns out.

bettabreeder

I think the garage sale style of trade and barter will be interesting. Ill see if I can scrounge up a few things to sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dpatte

Dropping into the message forum and answering questions for those less experienced can always be helpful.

Quote from: Chinaman on October 09, 2012, 10:34:11 AM
Hi OVAS Executives,

My mobility is limited as I got the aging aches and pains issue, and
I live in Kanata,

SO can I be of help in some shape or form??? 

Sam aka <Chinaman>

1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

sylros

Our next meeting is tomorrow night! October 22nd, at 7p.m!  It is going to be great!

A Trivia game has been put together and Pizza and snacks will be served. Being as it is so close to Hallowe'en, feel free to wear your costumes! You might just win a prize for it!

Teams of 4 will be setup in a random fashion, maximizing the knowledge sharing between participants. Prizes for the #1 team! So, get ready to have some fun, brush up on your fish knowledge as you won't know what will be asked! May the best team win!

The location is at the Tom Brown Arena where there is tons of space.

At the end of the evening, there will be a chance to sell or swap your fish related items. Please note that this will in a format of a garage sale where you will be responsible for the transactions. Should you need a full table, please don't hesitate to let the know.

As usual, one can renew/purchase their membership, borrow a book from the library holding, etc.

Here is the proposed event schedule:
7:00 p.m. Doors open
7:15 - 7:30p.m. Exec Welcome and updates
7:30 - Trivia game starts
8:00 - Pizza is served
8:15 - Garage sale (note this can be setup at anytime)

See you all there!

sylros

For those salties out there, there will be a table with frags, another with miscellaneous aquarium stuff.

Feel free to bring your stuff even if you didn't get a chance to reserve a table, there are enough table to accommodate everyone.

Thanks,
Sylvie

charlie

Reminder - if you would like to borrow something from our library contact our library chair & he would be happy to have it available for you this evening.
OVAS shirts will also be available this evening - 25.00.
Regards

touchofsky

I really wanted to be at the meeting tonight, but I am sick and won't be able to attend.  I hope to see everyone at the next meeting.

Wooki

Quote from: sylros on October 22, 2012, 12:17:47 AM
For those salties out there, there will be a table with frags, another with miscellaneous aquarium stuff.

Feel free to bring your stuff even if you didn't get a chance to reserve a table, there are enough table to accommodate everyone.

Thanks,
Sylvie

I'm was planning on making these meetings and bring some frags, however, tonight is just not possible for me.  Can we get an update on how the salty stuff went?
180g mixed reef,
Mostly LPS with some SPS.
powder blue tang, Desjardin's sailfin tang, mandarin goby, clowns, lots of inverts

NjOyRiD

370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

sylros

Quote from: Wooki on October 22, 2012, 12:34:07 PM
I'm was planning on making these meetings and bring some frags, however, tonight is just not possible for me.  Can we get an update on how the salty stuff went?

Of course! and hopefully we'll have a few pics to show as well.

sylros

Quote from: NjOyRiD on October 22, 2012, 04:21:04 PM
ill be bringing frags as well

Thank you, I can't wait to see what you've got!

See you later tonight then!
Sylvie

sylros

Quote from: touchofsky on October 22, 2012, 10:40:07 AM
I really wanted to be at the meeting tonight, but I am sick and won't be able to attend.  I hope to see everyone at the next meeting.

Get better soon! Hope to see you at the November xmas party! Everything is lining up for a fabulous event and can't wait to catch up with you, the wonderful display tank, etc.

Take care!
Sylvie

sylros

Here are some of the pictures from tonight`s get together. It was a great turnout and I think we all had fun!

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=70

For those who attended, let me know what your thoughts are... we always aim to learn from one meeting to the next. Also, since this is a new venue, it would be nice to get some  feedback as to the layout of things.

Thanks everyone who was able to make it! Now stay tuned for the details about our upcoming November Xmas party!

Sylvie Rossignol
Program Director

charlie

I would also like to say a big thank you to all that attended, & the execs. for making this another home run, following on our first one last month, not bad 2 for 2  ;).
The turn out for a non speaker program was fantastic infact it might just have out numbered all of last year speaker or not, we had 60 people WOW thank you again.
The fun was obvious with the trivia some teams took to present day technology to get the edge on other teams,congrats to the winning team by 1 point over the second place teamthe winning team each received a 10.00 gift certificate to La Niche.,
The Pizza was awesome & it was the first time we ran out of pizza, apologies to the couple of folks that waited too late to grab some, i would like to thank all the folks who made use of the swap tables available @ no cost & the those that bought to support the vendors, hats off to Phil,Kevin,Sebastien & Collin who all had some nice Frags available, hopefully more of the Saltwater crew will support your efforts in the future, sincere thank to Kevin who donated a Clown fish to OVAS to auction off with the proceeds going to the club - Thank You.
We sold approx. 7 new memberships at the meeting ( Bruce can you update ), and Saw a lot of new faces, from the feed back i got folks were pleased with the format & enjoyed it, also sold 5 tickets to our Xmas meal which will be offered at our next meeting on Nov.26 TH @ 6.00 PM prior to our meeting @ Greenfields Pub & Eatery,these tickest are 20.00 for a meal of either Turkey or Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, seasonal veggie.Soup or salad, if you are a paid member it`s 15.00 - more info of Nov. meeting will soon be forthcoming ...stay tune.
Tickets will be available on line via Pay Pal or by contacting myself or Sylros - get them early.
Charlie /Errol
President

bizfromqc

Sounds like everyone had a good time and great turn out!

I couldn't attend last night, I didn't feel too hot and trust me, you don't want those germs spreading around a room with 60 people  ;)

I'm definitely attending the XMas dinner, I'll buy a ticket online when the details are available.

daworldisblack

Sounds like a great evening! Couldn't be there as I was out of town for work but glad it was a success!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

The Trivia champs by a sinle bonus point  ;D - congrats

robt18

Quote from: charlie on October 23, 2012, 09:10:25 AM
I would also like to say a big thank you to all that attended, & the execs. for making this another home run, following on our first one last month, not bad 2 for 2  ;)

We're doing better than A-Rod did in the whole post season.... minus the quarter billion dollar contract.

Thanks to everyone who came out! Feedback is always welcome here, if you have any comments or suggestions about the quiz I'd be more than happy to take them and use them if I'm allowed to make it again next year :P Thanks for playing along!