New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

April monthly OVAS meeting - Vote for your choice of topic to present

Started by sylros, April 03, 2013, 11:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylros

Hello everyone, the next OVAS monthly meeting is scheduled for April 22nd from 7-9p.m.

We have Robert DiMarco coming to do a presenation. We are fortunate to have a choice on the topic.

"Everything I Know about Artemia! (Or just about)"

As I indicated, this talk would be of interest not only to the Salty's but also the freshwater hobbyists who regularly use brine shrimp.

From the East to the Far West! Details of talk:
The talk describes a trip where I gave three talks in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Salt Lake City, Utah and Costa Mesa California!
The talk starts with a tour of the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth, NS and demonstrates some of the research work being done with some surprising specimens. Then a visit to the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco, with a rain forest exhibit and the world's largest indoor aquarium Reef.
Then through Salt Lake City, views of the most astounding Canyons, Monument Valley and a visit to a unique salt water tropical breeding farm and dive site in an unlikely place, nestled in the mountains of Utah! This visit also includes highlights of the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla California, with their successful shark breeding program, seahorse rearing facilities and concludes with a look at (MAX) the Marine Aquarium Expo in Costa Mesa, CA and local fish stores with some unusual fish for sale!

Whale Sharks in the Wild and in Captivity! Details of talk:
A behind the scenes tour of the Georgia Aquarium, the largest public aquarium in the world, (the size of a football field!) which is the only aquarium in North America to house Whale Sharks.
This talk contains some of my stunning pictures of the Whale Sharks and also includes scenes of Whale Sharks in the wild, identifies where they can be found with regularity and how they were collected and brought to Atlanta plus some recent discoveries about the fascinating largest shark in the world.

Salt Water ....Why aren't you Hooked? Details of talk:
Identifies the fundamental similarities and differences between Fresh and Salt water aquariums (i.e. Starting a Salt Water Aquarium).
Includes a review of the Principles and Evolution of Salt Water Filtration, from the original "under gravel" filtration to the advances of the present, "natural" systems including understanding the nitrogen cycle, live bacteria, live sand, skimmers, "NNR" filtration, cryptic filtration, fluidized bed filters, ultra violet and ozone sterilization, refugiums etc.
This talk also addresses some suggested fish for beginners and those fish that attract novices but should be avoided.

Lion Fish Invasion of the Atlantic Ocean! Details of talk:
This talk reviews my "bizarre" encounter in the Caribbean with a fish that has invaded the Atlantic coast although it originates from the Pacific Ocean. The magnificent Lion Fish has caused havoc in the Gulf Stream areas but has spread north as far as New York.
How did Lion Fish get here? What is the impact on the local fish population? What is being done about it? An interesting talk which includes my own photos taken in the Caribbean on the fascinating Lion Fish Invasion of the Atlantic Ocean. Limited copies of my article on the fascinating Lion Fish Invasion that was published will be available at this talk.

Dxpert

This will be my first OVAS meet up - hiw many people normally show up?
Looks like "salt water... Why aren't you hooked?" Is in the lead - it has my vote. I suspect this hobby could get expensive :)

sylros

Quote from: Dxpert on April 07, 2013, 07:34:56 AM
This will be my first OVAS meet up - hiw many people normally show up?
It depends on many factors including the weather but generally around 50 people or so. There's loads of space to accommodate a bigger croud.

Welcome to the club, I'm looking forward in meeting you. Come say hello to the executive members if you have a chance.

charlie

FYI - OVAS will be having a sale table at this meeting - lots of goodies @ great prices.
Items will be posted  soon.
Regards

Tones

If my request for an off day goes through it will be my first meeting as well ! And saltwater would be an awesome topic. Always wanted  saltwater tank but it seems like such a daunting dive.

charlie

Quote from: charlie on April 16, 2013, 05:33:10 PM
FYI - OVAS will be having a sale table at this meeting - lots of goodies @ great prices.
Items will be posted  soon.
Regards
Here a is a sample of what is up for grabs @ tomorrows meeting. These are some of the items donated to the club to assist in fund raising , all items is priced @ approx. 50 % off of MRSP- so stop by the ATM on your way to the meeting& get in on these super deals.ONLY available at the meeting.
Also a picture of some of the door prizes for card carrying members
See you tomorrow