New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eheim professional II primer o-rings

Started by pm, June 21, 2012, 07:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pm

If any owners of Eheim professional II filters out there are interested in a group buy for replacement o-rings for the primer (not a part that is available from Eheim or stores) from Atomicrice.com let me know.

I don't need one yet, but as it appear that there is only 1 supplier, and it is a critical part, I am thinking it would be a good idea to have one on hand.

Cost for the o-ring is $10 US each, no matter how many you seem to order, but the shipping and handling is $8 for the first one, and $0.88 for each additional one.

We are not going to save a bundle, but every little bit helps.

Just gauging interest at this point.

jetstream

I am interested in getting 1 or 2. Please let me know if it's a go. Thanks!

charlie

I`ll be in for one, i have one from a previous group buy on another forum
, BTW  are these for the Pro II 2026 & 2028?
Ken are you running Pro II filters now.
Errol

pm

The site says for model numbers 2026, 2028, 2126, and 2128

I know that these filters are older, but I just recently got one given to me (2026).  I really like it.  Good flow for the power consumption, lots of media room, and nearly silent.

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

The primer oring is different.  It is a PITA to get to, but it is a critical part (just about any complaint about these filters is a leak from the primer button).  Eheim deemed this oring to be non user replaceable, hence not available from them or normal stores.

exv152

Quote from: pm on June 23, 2012, 09:53:27 AM
The primer oring is different.  It is a PITA to get to, but it is a critical part (just about any complaint about these filters is a leak from the primer button).  Eheim deemed this oring to be non user replaceable, hence not available from them or normal stores.

Is that part #7354170 you're referring to? If so, I may be interested in getting one too. I have a pro II 2026 and it has never given me any issues, but it's coming on five years of age.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

That part number does not show up on Eheimparts.com, but google shows it to be the same part.  Just to confirm, it is the o-ring as shown at http://www.njagc.net/articles/eheim_oring.htm

If anyone has found a cheaper source, please let me know.

Note: I checked mine as the primer button on my 2026 was very hard to push and return.  The instructions look like it is crazy hard to replace, but it is not.  Disassembly, cleaning, lube, and reassembly took me probably 20 min max.

jetstream

Quote from: charlie on June 23, 2012, 04:43:29 AM
BTW  are these for the Pro II 2026 & 2028?
Ken are you running Pro II filters now.
Errol

I have 1 2080 in use and all other 8 are the classic series. 2026 & 2080 share most of the major components, just the canister is shorter  and the electric coil is less powerful.

Put me down for 2 if go ahead. 1 as backup and the other is backup of the backup.  ;)

exv152

Thanks for the interesting link, there's some useful stuff on that site. I'd be interested in getting one for my old 2026. Better safe than sorry.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bitterman

you might be able to get them much much cheaper than that... but you need to know the size and material

I got some Co2 tank o-rings from http://www.ablesealanddesign.com/category/h/contact/145.html was like $7 for 100 of them plus shipping.

Bruce

daworldisblack

So whats the verdict, should we go ahead with the order?
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

pm

Thanks for bringing this back up.

I never pursued the group order as the savings was minimal.  There is no savings on the individual o-rings no matter how many you order.  The only savings was shipping.

The most we can possibly save is like $5-6 each (shipping savings less possible tax on the larger order, which is unlikely if only ordering one or two).  Not sure where everyone lives, but to drive to pick them up from me in Barrhaven could further eat away at any savings.

Now, if someone more central wished to organize the order, say someone whose house I pass daily on the way home from work (nudge nudge wink wink).  I would be up for participating for 1 ring.

daworldisblack

Eric, Ken and Errol : are you guys still in for the order? I might put one in. Eric and Errol I'll probably see you at the PA meeting. Ken, I hear you live close to me as well.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Sure. I love my eheims, and I especially love my 2026. If this'll help make it tick for another few more years, why not.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

pm

All, here is the link to the instructions on how to do the o-ring change.  I have followed these, and they worked just fine.

http://www.njagc.net/wp/filtration-equipment/replacing-the-priming-o-ring-on-eheim-pro-ii-series-filters/

dabear

Sorry to awaken this old thread but I'm looking for interest in another group buy of these o-rings. Mine started to leak and the o-ring will likely need replacing.

charlie

I would be interested if you go forward with this.
Errol

dabear

I might not need the o-ring. I'll explain what I did and I'm welcoming comments on the process. Based on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-WBv_nGesE, I decided to try to find an o-ring that would fit. The video suggest 4.50mm x 92mm. I made a trip to Ottawa Fastener Supply in Bells Corners. They didn't have such large metric o-rings but they had a similar size in imperial (3.5in which is close to 89mm).  I compared it to the very loose orange o-ring in the unit and it was slightly smaller and slightly thinner. At home, I installed it in the primer with lubrication and it is no longer leaking (at least for now!). The priming unit also works much much better. The cost of the o-ring was $1.63+tax. I figure that if it lasts a year, I could replace one every year and it would come out cheaper over at least 10 years. I'll probably drill a safety hole in the inlet just in case the unit starts leaking (which from what I hear happens quite a lot).

Next, I need to find a cheaper alternative to buying the Eheim white and blue filter pads (I recently acquired the filter and it didn't come with the pads).

Any thoughts?