New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

In pressing need of a caretaker (near-emergency)

Started by magnosis, January 02, 2014, 11:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Hi all!

I'm desperately looking for someone who can come to my house and help with:
- getting my tank back in shape
- maintain it for a few weeks, maybe longer term
- establish a maintenance schedule, ferts, basic care, etc

I'm currently on a medical leave of absence and cannot maintain the tank. It's been a month since the last water change (i managed a partial today and this is when I realized I cant do it untlil a few more weeks).

Lots of BGA, some hair algea, bba, dust algae.
Lost 11 out of 10 amano shrimps after i introduced them 1 month ago.
Fish seem to be ok for now.

I am not looking for charity.
This would be a paid service.

My only other alternative is to shut the tank down :(

Thank details:
60g freshwater, planted.
HC, Glosso, Needle Java Fern, Bolbitis, Fissidens, 3 types of grass, anubias nana & petites.
7 tuxedo platties, 4 neon tetras, 2 zebra danios, 4 (yellow tip fins?) tetras, 1 amano shrimp, 1 assassin snail and sometimes a handful of pond snails (kept under control by the assassin)

Near-urgent care:
- clean up algae
- water changes
- re-plant some unrooted plants
- trim plants
- inspect and care for fish as needed
- install co2 diffuser and turn on solenoid

Longer term:
- Weekly maintenance
- Water changes
- Filter cleanup
- Ferts
- Balance lights, co2 and ferts
- Establish maintenance plan/schedule

I really really hope someone will answer this call! I dont want to lose the tank (nor does my 4yo son) but I wont be able to care for it for at least the next 1 or 2 months.

I'm 5 minutes north of Alonzo Bridge, near St-Louis (road 307) right on the edge of Gatineau and Cantley.

We can discuss payments, schedule and possibly provide keys to my house as needed via pm.

Thanks in advance!!!
--
Antoine

Dan

Hi Antoine, I could help you out...I will send you a  PM.

magnosis

Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, I've been forced into the decision of getting rid of my 59g planted tank.

I'll try my best to put it back into shape, then post into classifieds.

Posting here in the meantime in case someone rises to the occasion and wants to either pick it up as-is, help put it back on track, or suggest alternative solutions.

What is certain is that I no longer have time or funds to maintain the tank. You have no idea how sorry I am, my 3yo son and myself are quite sad about it, but that's life...

To be continued.

daworldisblack

Hey Antoine, what lights do you have on there? I would suggest having the light schedule down to a fewer number of hours. If you can reduce the number of bulbs thats on, that would help as well. That would at least stop the algae growth. You can then dial down ferts and subsequently water changes theoretically but water changes may still be necessary to fight the current algae issue. Dosing metricide may help as well. Essentially getting it down to a low-tech set up temporarily would be a possible solution. Your plants should do fine except for Glosso maybe but you'll still have a tank at the end of it, and is less work in the meanwhile. Wish I could have helped and hope you get well soon bud!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

magnosis

Thanks for the advice!!!

3 T5H0 various light spectrums, on 6h a day split into 3h on, 2h off, 3h on.
No ferts atm. No CO2 either
Water changes way behind, probably a month ago last time.
0 time nor $ to go out get metricide, it's that bad.

The decision has been made, the tank has to go :((

Option 1) I find someone who wants the whole setup, then I'll get it back in some sort of shape :x
Option 2) I kill the tank. Sell everything together or part out.

Not happy about this at all but life forced me into this situation... ugh.

exv152

That's too bad that you have to shut it down. Hope to see you back soon with a new tank. As a moderator I'll ask that you please not post here for the selling or parting out of the tank.

Good luck
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

magnosis

Yup, understood. Here was more to get a feel if someone would be willing to help.

Thanks!! I've always appreciated the immense support from the community. Aquascaping will always be a passion so I hope to be back in the not-to-distant future!

I would be a relief to know that someone can pick up where I left off :)

wrm130

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your situation and decision to shut down your tank.  Hopefully someday soon you can get back at it!!!

I'd be interested in knowing how your son goes from 4yr to 3yr in a month.  This sounds like a useful skill ;)

magnosis

Quote from: wrm130 on February 06, 2014, 07:55:14 PM
I'd be interested in knowing how your son goes from 4yr to 3yr in a month.  This sounds like a useful skill ;)

Aha he's 3 years and 9 months old. Sometimes I round down to 3-1/2, sometimes up to 4 :)

ajm1961

Real sorry to hear. I wish I could help, but I don't have the time either (and I'm a good distance away from from you as well!)

I hope you get better soon and that at some point you can take up the hobby again.
I wish you all the best.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!