New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

id please

Started by tophoo, March 28, 2011, 06:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

do you guys know what type of coral this is??

Malyon18

Button Polyp is my guess but maybe wrong :)
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

tophoo

Quote from: Malyon18 on March 28, 2011, 07:02:46 PM
Button Polyp is my guess but maybe wrong :)

both of them?

Malyon18

Well I googled button polyp and found pictures that resemble both, wait and maybe someone with more experience will chime in
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

NanoSF

Do you mean both as in the green ones too? If so the green is Zoanthid, but the other is probably button. Could be a Zoanthid too though, but looks more like a button polyp.

Darth

they are button polyps, I have a bunch in my tank too, nice zoa btw!

redbelly

Looks like some black sponge on the rock too.

Protopalythoa (aka button polyp) is the brown one. Under moderate lighting they can go green.

Green one is a zoanthid from vietnam most likely.

Thunda

They look like our zoos (only in a different colour). Out of curiosity, are they of the same family, or are zoos the short form for them?

Bob P

Zoos = Zoanthids.

Bob P

Quote from: Thunda on April 17, 2011, 01:28:47 PM
They look like our zoos (only in a different colour). Out of curiosity, are they of the same family, or are zoos the short form for them?
Zoanthids

Thunda

BOnaqua

Brown/green button polips (top).
Green zoas (bottom).

tophoo

As you can see in the pic, there's a black sponge thing on it.  It have now covered the whole rock.  I can I get rid on it?

BOnaqua

Get a plastic or glass turkey baster (brand new one) and try 'blowing' it off.
Or you can 'vacuum' it with the baster.
I doesn't look like sponge to me, but like a weird kind of Cyano attack.
I had that thing happen to me a while ago.
Covered the coral and suffocated it.

Hookup

Quote from: tophoo on August 05, 2011, 06:15:09 AM
As you can see in the pic, there's a black sponge thing on it.  It have now covered the whole rock.  I can I get rid on it?

I had something that looked identical to your photo on a rock and coral of mine...  I simple pulled them out, went to the sink... Used a toothbrush, my wife's not mine, and scrubbed it off...  Rinsed it under running tap water and replaced the coral...  Maybe a 3-5min process...

No harm to the coral, other than where the black sponge had already started to encroach...  Everything was fine after that.

nelson

The two brown critters above the green zoos look like Aiptasia to me.

Greatwhite

Quote from: Nelson on August 05, 2011, 10:56:38 AM
The two brown critters above the green zoos look like Aiptasia to me.

Nope.. Not aptasia.