New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

id this pls?

Started by kole18, October 03, 2011, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

that looks like a seafan to me, heavy feeding and figh flow

salvini55

feed some phyto and see if the polyps come out

kole18

thick branches very hard though this isn't sea fan as far as i know.

salvini55

ya, the second photo has me second guessing. are there no coralites? the tips dont resemble a seafan.

salvini55

kole18

i'd just got this from ray today i don't really know exactly what it was, all i know ray says its a deep water acro never seen this kind of acro but it looks cool though & I wonder if this corals have polyps too like acro?

Vallely4

salvini55

Im putting big bucks on distichopora, it is non-photosynthetic and need to be out of direct light like in a cave or under a ledge, usually hung upside down. Requires heavy feeding and moderate flow

kole18

yah i'd place this coral at the bottom a bit lighting or shade. ross thanks for info & this coral its for "expert only"  ;D its gonna be challenge for me to keep this kind of coral.

redbelly

Definately a stylaster (Distichopora sp)!

I have several of these in my tank for well over a year now. They are a very nice NPS coral and prefer ZERO lighting, or just enough to see them and no more. Otherwise you tend to get a algae film that will grow on the surface and they die.

Some people claim that they CAN sting you like a fire coral, and trust me thats not a pleasant experience. I have NEVER experienced this though...

redbelly

I should also mention that they do definately require some very specialized feedings...