New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Considering switching up my shrimp tank

Started by Jeff1192, May 04, 2018, 03:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

So I currently have a Fluval Ebi running as a shrimp tank with cherry and CRS in it. But I also have a 15 gallon that I have been wanting to do something new with for a bit.

Today Errol showed me the Seapora Crystal tanks and I'm considering getting on to replace my 15 gallon tank. I'd move the fish out of the old 15 and the new Seapora woudl be shrimp only. Just looking for some advice on a few things...I think I'd just add more Fluval Stratum as a substrate and use the Eheim Ecco 2232 (the smallest one) filter I'm currently running on my 15. Any suggestions on how to transfer things over to the new tank? I'd like to bring the Stratum I am currently using in the Ebi to make sure I have no cycling issues but than moving the shrimp over becomes a bit more of a challenge as I'd have to put them in a bucket or something for a while...but I'm guessing that's not a huge deal. Any suggestions on order of things to ensure I don't lose any shrimp? Also open to ideas for substrate, filters, etc. I don't want to buy more filters but I also have a couple of older aquaclears I could use if you guys think the Ecco will be too much

Thanks
Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

One thing to keep in mind if using the Fluval substrate, is to be sure that there is no ammonia leeching from the new Fluval substrate, this may entail cycling in the Fluval substrate in a bucket or tub until such time there is no more ammonia.

If you find the 2232 is too powerful, there is always the option of reducing the flow via the output Quick Connect lever

Jeff1192

Getting ready to switch things up and I'm wondering about compatibility. I have some small tiger plecos and a school of Pygmy cories that I really like and I'm tempted to put in with the shrimp but I'm worried about predation as I want this to be mostly if not completely a shrimp tank. Just wondering as I already have these fish and kinda like them.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Black_Rose

I have 8 pygmy cories (and 4 ember tetras) in with my shrimp.

It's possible some young shrimp may be eaten, but my initial 5 red cherry shrimp I put in that tank a year ago turned into 100+ shrimp.

Jeff1192

Couldn't stop thinking about that Seapora Crystal 17 gallon tank so took the plunge today and set it up. I have a pretty thick bed of Fluval Stratum in there and I'm running an Eheim Ecco for filtration and an Eheim 75 watt heater. I have one nice piece of driftwood and a couple of cool larger rocks. Unfortunately it's really cloudy so you can't see much right now.

After humming and hawing about the best way to transfer my shrimp to this tank from the Fluval Ebi, Charlie gave me a great idea. Once this tank's parameters are stable Ill transfter some of the juvie CRS into it and see how things go. Once I know things are good I'll transfer all the shrimp to this tank. I decided this will be shrimp only so I'm not going to risk putting in the plecos or the dwarf cories. They'll get moved into the old shrimp tank when it's empty.

I'll get a better photo up when the water clears.

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

So things have cleared up and I have planted so low light plants. I also added privacy film on the back glass and an LED strip behind it.  I used an established filter so I expect the water should be good soon to start slowly introducing some young shrimp in.

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

Thanks to Charlie for the advice of Stratum possibly leeching ammonia into the water at first I was cautious and started testing for ammonia right away. I had used a fully established filter so I didn't expect much of a cycle but I'm getting ammonia readings of about 0.5ppm. So there's defiinitely some ammonia leeching from the substrate as the filter was running on a well—established 15 gallon before being installed on this tank.

One thing I love about OVAS is the sharing of experiences and knowledge. So helpful in a hobby like this.

Thanks again

Jeff

- George Orwell

charlie

Good start, thanks for sharing and looking forward to the progress
Those Crystal tanks are addictive ;)

Jeff1192

So decided it was time to start introducing some shrimplets into the tank. I decided to only move a few for now and see how they do. But all tank parameters were looking good. My TDS is around 90 so I'd like to bring it up a bit and my gH is 4 so kinda hoping that just the breakdown of some plants losing leaves and the driftwood might slowly bring the TDS up a bit higher. I may also pick up some Indian Almond leaves as I have been reading about them and they seem like that woudl be a good addition to the water, especially for breeding purposes.

Once I have more shrimp moved in I'll try to get some photos. I think th hardest part about this hobby is patience. I'd love to dump all the shrimp in there right now...but trying to resist the temptation.....haha

Jeff

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

So all the shrimp are moved in now and tank parameters are pretty good. I'm still having to do weekly water changes to keep nitrates below 40ish but I'm thinking that stratum is still leeching ammonia so hopefully that will stop soon as I'd rather not be doing weekly water changes with these guys. I have added some water lettuce to help absorb some of the nitrates. The tank has about 18 crystal red shrimp about 10 cherry shrimp (4 of them are bloody mary shrimp) and some snails. I dont mind the snails because I pluck them out once in a while and feed them to my puffer.

- George Orwell

Jeff1192

So two months after adding the shrimp to the tank I have baby CRS. I continue to have nitrates leaching from the substrate as I'm still having to do weekly water changes of about 10%.

But last night just before the lights went out I spotted at least a half dozen babies in the tannk  Glad things have settled in the tank and I'm seeing breeding again.

- George Orwell

charlie

Awesome, bet you are enjoying the breeding experience.
At least you know your Bio filter is functioning well lol

matttimms49

That's great news! If there's babies then things must be settling in pretty nice. :)

Jeff1192

So even more babies now, just counted 18. Man they're hard to spot.

- George Orwell

k1ng

Jeff1192

I'm feeding a couple of dry shrimp diets to them. I mix it's up and only feed every second day or  so. I also have Indian almond leaves in the tank. They're currently covered in baby shrimp eating the biofilm.

- George Orwell